Summer Skiing

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mountainman713
Trip Reports (0)

Summer Skiing

Post by mountainman713 »

Summer skiing thread. What are some good areas for summer skiing near Denver?

I've skied St. Marys Glacier but I'm looking for some other summer skiing options.
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Summer Skiing

Post by summitrunner »

Let me preface this with I'm not a skier...

I saw good lines on Independence Pass last weekend. Massive is still holding a lot of snow on the northeast slopes. Little lines on Elbert to grab.
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

RMNP glaciers can be a steep summer option. Though getting to the snow, and onto the face can be tricky!
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
thefrush
14ers: 16  7 
13ers: 6 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by thefrush »

I skied the Tyndall Glacier yesterday. I was surprised at the amount of snow and it was actually pretty fun! Easily lappable as well.
I don't trail run, I speed hike.

But I'd rather be skiing.
jerseybrian
14ers: 39  1 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jerseybrian »

Still a good couloir on the west side of Mt Neva. Might want to climb it first from upper Caribou lake area to check it first but it looks prime.
When I get out I feel more alive - Doug Coombs
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

Skyscraper Couloir off of Rollins Pass. I'm going on 23 consecutive months of riding, so I have some experience with this. However, the snow is kiiiiindda rock hard and sun-cupped, so if you go for Skyscraper I'd recommend just climbing it from the bottom and stopping to transition when you feel comfortable.

I want to check out Indy Pass soon too now that it's been mentioned. I hear 4th of July bowl up there is a good summer option, but I have little experience on Indy Pass.
davisrice4
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 14 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davisrice4 »

Anyone know how indy pass is looking now? Haven't been up in a couple weeks and I am looking to find my august turns (34 months, goin on 35) and I imagine there has to be some smooth corn lurking somewhere? (even if its not on indy) Also considering Rollins, but skyscraper looked a bit cupped. Anyone have any recs?
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

Drove over Inde last week. Snow fence ridge is looking decent still. I'm on month 107.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

I was on the "tuning fork" on torreys in mid July one year, and it was fantastic.

That area of that mountain seems to always hold snow well into the summer months.
Monte Meals
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Monte Meals »

Cherry Creek Reservoir :mrgreen:
davisrice4
14ers: 58  11 
13ers: 100 14 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by davisrice4 »

Monte Meals wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:09 pm Cherry Creek Reservoir :mrgreen:
I am looking for summer skiing. Not blower pow, come on man!
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

Bump

Trying to sniff out a September ski next weekend and wondering if I can do better than St Mary’s - anyone seem any worthwhile lines, even if short, somewhat near a road?
The only time I lower the bar is après