Page 6 of 6

Re: Backcountry Touring and 14er Skiing Progression

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 3:34 pm
by bergsteigen
andrewdoumont wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:25 pm
What do you all think about ski length for ski mountaineering type applications?

My thoughts were shorter skis would be lighter and be quicker to turn in tight couloirs and such.
I’m 164 and used to ski 180s for over a decade. I’ve since gone down to 158s for most applications. I prefer a shorter turning radius for tight couloirs. Lengthier is really only good for stability at speed. You do need to be pretty comfortable with your equipment, so practice is useful. You can get used to whatever you use.

Re: Backcountry Touring and 14er Skiing Progression

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:13 pm
by pvnisher
andrewdoumont wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:25 pm
I am 6'3" and on the light side. My touring setup is 185cm, but was considering going shorter for a more mountaineering focused setup.

If you say shorter, how much shorter do you think? If not shorter, why not?

Thanks
I'm 6'2"and regularly use 176.
I used to actually go with a 165 for a while years back but wanted more stability.
Overall I'm a fan of shorter skis.

Re: Backcountry Touring and 14er Skiing Progression

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:56 pm
by andrewdoumont
pvnisher wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:13 pm
andrewdoumont wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:25 pm
I am 6'3" and on the light side. My touring setup is 185cm, but was considering going shorter for a more mountaineering focused setup.

If you say shorter, how much shorter do you think? If not shorter, why not?

Thanks
I'm 6'2"and regularly use 176.
I used to actually go with a 165 for a while years back but wanted more stability.
Overall I'm a fan of shorter skis.
Cool, what do you think you prefer about them?

I'm interested in shorting up a bit, but have only ever skied around 185

Re: Backcountry Touring and 14er Skiing Progression

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:02 pm
by Bean
andrewdoumont wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:56 pm
Cool, what do you think you prefer about them?

I'm interested in shorting up a bit, but have only ever skied around 185
I'm 5'11" and mid-weight and most of my skis are in the 180s, though I have a pair of 171s for ski mountaineering. Lighter on the up, jump turns are easier, and plenty of stability on hardpack and corn. If I'm worried about funky snow then I'll consider a different ski. I wouldn't go any shorter though.

Re: Backcountry Touring and 14er Skiing Progression

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:04 pm
by Jorts
andrewdoumont wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:56 pm
pvnisher wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:13 pm
andrewdoumont wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 2:25 pm
I am 6'3" and on the light side. My touring setup is 185cm, but was considering going shorter for a more mountaineering focused setup.

If you say shorter, how much shorter do you think? If not shorter, why not?

Thanks
I'm 6'2"and regularly use 176.
I used to actually go with a 165 for a while years back but wanted more stability.
Overall I'm a fan of shorter skis.
Cool, what do you think you prefer about them?

I'm interested in shorting up a bit, but have only ever skied around 185
Feels like ski season just arrived today! \:D/ Skied the NE side of Peak 1 this morning. I used 184s with 99 underfoot. It hits high 40s.

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but I find both a stiffer ski and a larger sidecut radius to really help with stability on jump turns. The larger radius just gives you more contact with the snow on edge and the stiffer flex gives you more spring when you pop off the ski as well as preventing you from having that jarring jiggle when you weight the ski on the landing. I just kind of like longer skis for opening it up on the apron.

Re: Backcountry Touring and 14er Skiing Progression

Posted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:39 pm
by pvnisher
andrewdoumont wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:56 pm

Cool, what do you think you prefer about them?

I'm interested in shorting up a bit, but have only ever skied around 185
My 165 were pretty old, had lots of sidecut. They were good for tight turns, which is why I bought them originally. But they were outdated, no rocker, and too short for anything but tight turns on hard snow.

My 176 are k2 pinnacle 105. Pretty light for the size, lots of float, short enough to turn easily. Love them.

Re: Backcountry Touring and 14er Skiing Progression

Posted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:27 pm
by lordhelmut
The best ski I've ever used in the BC - the Ski Logik Howitzer's (178 length, 110 underfoot), the company went out of business and I am now lost and at odds with regards to what I'll do when the 3 pairs I have are retired. They are bonafide Grundle Busters and seemingly impervious to core shots, so I'm hoping I can get 25-30 years between the 3 of them and swiftly retire from skiing and retire to a beach in Mexico. But the gaperdom in CO is getting exacerbated by covid, so I think that timeline will be affected.