State of turning forks

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
bichito
Trip Reports (0)

State of turning forks

Post by bichito »

My friend and I were thinking about giving Turning Forks a try next weekend. It seems like a long shot. Has any body skied/ridden them lately?

Thanks in advance!
jaymz
Trip Reports (1)

Re: State of turning forks

Post by jaymz »

I haven't been on it, but here's how it looked yesterday (6/1):
Torreys.jpg
Torreys.jpg (78.01 KiB) Viewed 3362 times
"But in every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks."
John Muir
bichito
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bichito »

thanks! We were around L-Pass trying to squeeze in some runs but it was mostly garbage. My friend does not like the north side of the pass (the one opposite to A-Basin) where the most coverage was so he suggested Turning Forks next weekend. We'll see.

Thanks!
pminaghan
14ers: 57  3  5 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pminaghan »

I boarded the "Tuning" forks 5.29 and they were in spring shape. Continuous snow in the left fork, right was shy by a like 1/200 ft from where it connects with ridge. There were a few rocks poking out on the edges so be careful. Also we got a hard freeze the night before which make climbing tricky without getting into a rhythm of kicking steps. it was also overcast and we waited hours to soften enough to make it an enjoyable ride but couldn't stay too long to risk the lower mountain becoming a sloppy, wet slide prone mess... It was a good time, enjoy the turns!
atalarico
14ers: 16  2 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (5)

Post by atalarico »

Post up the conditions if you end up going! I'm considering a solo attempt (rode 3/4 of it before) this weekend too, but from what I recall there will definitely be other parties up there with you on a weekend.

Cheers!
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

atalarico wrote:Post up the conditions if you end up going! I'm considering a solo attempt (rode 3/4 of it before) this weekend too, but from what I recall there will definitely be other parties up there with you on a weekend.

Cheers!
Not sure if you saw this already, but just in case:

https://www.14ers.com/php14ers/peakstat ... cnum=11250

FWIW, based on that report and the photo above, it looks about the same as when I skied it in the last weekend of June 2015. At the time there was probably a little over 2000’ of continuous snow on the skier’s left fork, a bit more skier’s right.

Enjoy! I might give it a try as well.
bichito
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bichito »

Thanks for the beta. If we decide to go, I will post an update in this thread.

Best