Skiing: what’s still good?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
nomad_games
14ers: 21  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Skiing: what’s still good?

Post by nomad_games »

Medicine Bow Peak in WY still has snow, according to Front Range Skimo
mrtinypants
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mrtinypants »

Jgknudtsen7 wrote:Anybody been up to skyscraper glacier on Corona/Rollins pass recently? In a different area,any info on the north face of Evans? Personally I know that The north side routes on Torreys are holding well and a bunch of the trail ridge road lines are still in.
Was at Corona/Rollins June 30th, Skyscraper was still holding snow with a continuous line down to Bob lake. Didn't get eyes on Challenger.
mrtinypants
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mrtinypants »

Trying to get a run in this month for sh*ts and giggles.. Torrey's still appeared skiable July 4, St. Mary's was decent July 21, assuming RMNP has a few routes, any other suggestions?
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

thurs
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 41 2 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by thurs »

Any updates? No idea what shape things are in in the IPW... Skyscraper? Heard Tyndell still had something...
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Flew a plane up to Laramie today looked like the north facing snowfields in RMNP were still holding snow. Tyndall and the like.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Its been over a month, early July, but theres a very large snowfield below Jasper's east slopes, bigger than Isabelle glacier. I glissaded it and was pretty decent then, lots of coverage in the basin. Steep entry with a good runout. Not sure about now. Whatever's left could be icy and rocky.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
thurs
14ers: 58  4  3 
13ers: 41 2 4
Trip Reports (4)

Post by thurs »

Bump.

I saw that Tyndall is still somewhat skiable. And that somebody was working on a line at St Mary's. Isabelle, Andrews, and Skyscraper look to be pretty much unskiable right now. What else is going on?
Jgknudtsen7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jgknudtsen7 »

I skied Isabelle glacier about 2 weeks ago and it was holding good enough for a somewhat enjoyable run. with that as my September day i'm now waiting for new snow to fall before i go skiing again.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

No snow in the forecast for the next 4 weeks :(. Next chance of snow is 10/25 with 2 inches forecasted.
Ptglhs
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 86 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ptglhs »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:No snow in the forecast for the next 4 weeks :(. Next chance of snow is 10/25 with 2 inches forecasted.
SWEET!!! maybe I'll get to 50 by the end of the year after all. Got to 48, got giardia, needed a root canal, and then work started back up so I was worried my season of climbing was done.
eskermo
14ers: 58  2  1 
13ers: 316 30 4
Trip Reports (18)

Post by eskermo »

St. Marys is still skiable.