Skiing: what’s still good?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Skiing: what’s still good?

Post by AlexeyD »

All right you skiers trying to make the most out of this “meh” season - where the goods at? Specially looking for things in the “moderate to advanced” (D5-D7?) category, as long of a descent as possible. Front range, tenmile, Sawatch, gores, whatever.

I can start: Mt. Banctofts east bowl above Lake Caroline was still good last Sunday, but the middle part was getting thin and rocky.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Re: Skiing: what’s still good?

Post by bergsteigen »

I'm not likely to get my TR up today (out of practice and photos aren't remotely organized/ready), but your best bet will be near the tunnel and north through Jones Pass to about James Peak. Eva SE and Hassel NE are likely still to be good/ok. A friend took me on a glider ride around northern CO yesterday, and most zones looked horrid. I have a couple shots up on IG @otina.

Most of the Sawatch is toast, except around Holy Cross. The usual late season lines are still "in", but more talk of nasty sun cups are being mentioned on all of them.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
nomad_games
14ers: 21  2 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nomad_games »

Neva was still in last weekend. I hear Fourth of July Bowl is in. Someone told me Tuning fork is still good.

other than that, probably safest to head to Montana. Beartooth looks to be skiing great.
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

some lines in Indian peaks still look good from a distance, like toll, but I haven't skied them, imho tuning fork is one of the best lines that stays good late in the year, grizzly by aspen was good over Memorial Day with lots of snow, the sawatch were drier than something that's really dry.
randomboulder
14ers: 5  2  1 
13ers: 8 5 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by randomboulder »

Tuning Fork is still in. SE Face and Starlight on James Pk was good 1.5 weeks ago.
SchralpTheGnar wrote:some lines in Indian peaks still look good from a distance, like toll, but I haven't skied them, imho tuning fork is one of the best lines that stays good late in the year, grizzly by aspen was good over Memorial Day with lots of snow, the sawatch were drier than something that's really dry.
As far as I know, the road to Brainard Lake is still closed so all those lines up that way (Toll, Paiute, Audubon, Pawnee, Apache) are not easily accessible.

I'd imagine Sundance off of Trail Ridge Rd should be in for a while, but haven't been up that way. Lamb's Slide, too.
SchralpTheGnar
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

brainard road doesn't add too much time, and keeps the riff riff out. :)
randomboulder
14ers: 5  2  1 
13ers: 8 5 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by randomboulder »

SchralpTheGnar wrote:brainard road doesn't add too much time, and keeps the riff riff out. :)
It's closed from Peak to Peak Hwy for construction so you can't even bike it.

https://www.bouldercounty.org/transport ... nard-road/
SchralpTheGnar
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

even less riff raff
k-berger
14ers: 20  4 
13ers: 30 8 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by k-berger »

Jasper peak from 4th of July trailhead was in good condition on Sunday. We skied the face approached from upper diamond lake, the snow lion proper is close to melted out but the lookers right line is in. Another party skied the more wide open face of Jasper and reported good conditions as well. Skywalker looked out.
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Thanks for the replies everyone! Good stuff.

bergsteigen: yeah, I was thinking about Hassel NE as well. Approach from Hassel Lake, yeah? Wonder how much vertical is to be had at this point...

RE: Eva SE, I think I saw it on the drive up to Bancroft, and it looked kinda meh...but it could've been Parry, not sure.

noman_games: which lines on Neva? Direct from the summit, or Juliet?

k-berger:
the more wide open face of Jasper
- do you mean the NE face (Route #1 here: https://www.frontrangeskimo.com/jasper/)?
MaxKugel
14ers: 15  3 
13ers: 61 8
Trip Reports (1)

Post by MaxKugel »

Grizzly Couloir was still good as of 6/1. I was able to ski 1,800' off of Arkansas/Sleeping Indian yesterday. In both cases suncups weren't an issue until the terrain got flat.

On a similar note, does anyone have any recent beta on the north face of Democrat or north couloir on Quandry?
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

AlexeyD wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone! Good stuff.

bergsteigen: yeah, I was thinking about Hassel NE as well. Approach from Hassel Lake, yeah? Wonder how much vertical is to be had at this point...

RE: Eva SE, I think I saw it on the drive up to Bancroft, and it looked kinda meh...but it could've been Parry, not sure.
I did Hassell from Butler. When I skied it, I almost could ski to the TH.

Parry is NOT in, but Eva was (though by now there might be short portage section)

Democrat N face looked thin, but likely marginally OK?
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina