Open Snow website

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Open Snow website

Post by oldschoolczar »

Hey all, wondering if anyone has purchased the new opensnow.com membership? I'm not too psyched about the changes to the website, but I get it... they were providing a valuable service for free. Totally understand that they wanted to monetize it to some extent. It's pretty cheap at $19/year, so I'll probably just spring for it. Just wondering if it's more like the old free site with extended forecasts, etc. The new free site is kind of disorganized, but I just need to get familiar with it I guess. I feel like I'm flying blind this year with no idea about the upcoming storms!
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
MatB
14ers: 22  1  1 
13ers: 98 4 1
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Open Snow website

Post by MatB »

Just read the forecast discussion on NOAA. It provides short term and long term information about upcoming weather and is typically updated twice a day.
"Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present; the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die, and then dies having never really lived,'"
- Dalai Lama, when asked about what surprises him the most about humanity
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

I still find a way to make NWS suffice for all of my weather planning.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

Another diehard NWS user here. Start with point forecasts, drill down to hourly predications, and go deeper with forecast discussions. It has everything you need.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

I don't think I've read an update on OS this season that was much beyond discussing what was in the NWS forecast and then posting the CPC outlook, interspersed between advertisements for whoever was paying the bill that day, followed up with a "conditions are great, go skiing!"
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Bean wrote:I don't think I've read an update on OS this season that was much beyond discussing what was in the NWS forecast and then posting the CPC outlook, interspersed between advertisements for whoever was paying the bill that day, followed up with a "conditions are great, go skiing!"
It’s simultaneously funny, demented, and sad
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

HikerGuy wrote:Another diehard NWS user here. Start with point forecasts, drill down to hourly predications, and go deeper with forecast discussions. It has everything you need.
+1 I love those point forecasts. https://www.weather.gov/
AlexeyD
14ers: 44  4  2 
Trip Reports (3)

Post by AlexeyD »

Regardless of one's opinion of the quality of the forecasting on OS, the most useful content, Joel's "Daily Snows", does not require a subscription.
oldschoolczar
14ers: 45  1  1 
13ers: 7
Trip Reports (0)

Post by oldschoolczar »

Thanks for all the feedback. I use NWS a lot in the summer, so I guess I'll start exploring it more for winter forecasts.

Joel just made it super easy for dummies like me!
“what matters most is
how well you
walk through the
fire” -Charles Bukowski
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

NWS isn’t non-essential either

Parts of the U.S. Government are closed. However, because the information this site provides is necessary to protect life and property, it will be updated and maintained during the Federal Government shutdown. For critical weather information, please visit www.weather.gov. To learn more, see www.commerce.gov