Ski leashes

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58  8  5 
13ers: 84 4 9
Trip Reports (0)

Ski leashes

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

How do the experienced BC skiers on here feel about leashes? I just got some for my skis as the brakes seem pretty sad on my ATK R12s and I was having visions of them skidding thousands of feet into the void. Has anyone ever crashed with them on? I think tomahawking with leashed skis would be a recipe for missing teeth at least. I've also heard they can increase your risk if a deep burial in an avalanche?
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Ski leashes

Post by pvnisher »

I think you've just about got the gist of it.

If you're in an area with cliffs and icy pack and you fall, you're either going to lose a ski, lose some teeth, maybe both. Leash or no leash. Ha.

I don't use leashes, don't really see people use them, but I generally run with the powder crowd and less with the thousands of feet of exposure and cliffs crowd.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

I’ve used leashes for years with my Dynafits that didn’t have brakes, but haven’t used them in a few years with skis with brakes. Loosing a ski over a cliff is why I used them. Plus saves you an hour of digging in deep powder, if they get lost. Look up MoneyMikes’s TR on Pyramid, he lost his ski at the crux, and he got lucky. Or Marc loosing his snowboard on top of Capitol (it stopped in time). Yes, I have also crashed with she skis popping off and bouncing down with me, no tomahawking though, so no damage. Plus I could ski once I stopped, instead of having to walk up/down the couloir at Silverton looking for a ski or two.

Like most things, it’s a personal choice/preference.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Post by pvnisher »

What about something like an ice screamer?
Long enough to keep somewhat away in a tomahawk, but not elastic or coiled, and tightly wrapped until you yard sale?

Or is this a terrible late night idea?
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

I don't like leashes but I use them on my brakeless skis. Incidentally my bigger skis have brakes and aren't likely to join me on any "must not fall and/or lose a ski" outings. B&D makes a leash that's long and has a fuse intended to break if you beater hudgely or get caught in an avalanche. But rule #1 of skiing in the backcountry is don't crash and rule #1b is don't tomahawk with leashes on so stick to those and you'll be fine.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

Bean wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:56 am I don't like leashes but I use them on my brakeless skis. Incidentally my bigger skis have brakes and aren't likely to join me on any "must not fall and/or lose a ski" outings. B&D makes a leash that's long and has a fuse intended to break if you beater hudgely or get caught in an avalanche. But rule #1 of skiing in the backcountry is don't crash and rule #1b is don't tomahawk with leashes on so stick to those and you'll be fine.
I try to follow Mikes Rules... I use leashes on my none-break’d skimo skis. I have lost my skis only once and the leashes were very nice. I clip my leashes onto paracord , since that should break before my legs.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
NathanRL
14ers: 31  3  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NathanRL »

Yeah, I have lighter skimo style leashes and the B&D ones for if there’s any hint of avy danger. The thought of losing a ski and having to boot down is too scary. IMO leashes wouldn’t be a bad idea even if you have brakes if you’re skiing something exposed.
Bean
14ers: 45  45  10 
13ers: 9 4
Trip Reports (27)

Post by Bean »

NathanRL wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:30 pm Yeah, I have lighter skimo style leashes and the B&D ones for if there’s any hint of avy danger. The thought of losing a ski and having to boot down is too scary. IMO leashes wouldn’t be a bad idea even if you have brakes if you’re skiing something exposed.
"There are no hard 14ers, but some are easier than others." - Scott P
http://throughpolarizedeyes.com
NathanRL
14ers: 31  3  1 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by NathanRL »

Bean wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:21 pm
NathanRL wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:30 pm Yeah, I have lighter skimo style leashes and the B&D ones for if there’s any hint of avy danger. The thought of losing a ski and having to boot down is too scary. IMO leashes wouldn’t be a bad idea even if you have brakes if you’re skiing something exposed.
Yeah, I mean losing a ski when putting one on.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Bean wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:56 am I don't like leashes but I use them on my brakeless skis. Incidentally my bigger skis have brakes and aren't likely to join me on any "must not fall and/or lose a ski" outings. B&D makes a leash that's long and has a fuse intended to break if you beater hudgely or get caught in an avalanche. But rule #1 of skiing in the backcountry is don't crash and rule #1b is don't tomahawk with leashes on so stick to those and you'll be fine.
Right!
I don't use leashes and all of my setups have brakes.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Snow_Dog_frassati
14ers: 58  8  5 
13ers: 84 4 9
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Snow_Dog_frassati »

NathanRL wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:51 pm
Bean wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:21 pm
Yeah, I mean losing a ski when putting one on.
Honestly I think the time my clumsy ass is most likely to lose a ski would be putting it on
"A good decision yesterday doesn't absolve me from a bad decision today"
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

Several years ago I was at Wolf Creek on a big pow day, using a brakeless setup with dynafit leashes. The snow was great so I was feeling sendy, but being an inept skier as usual, and I came out of my ski(s) over a half dozen times and was able to escape any self inflicted wounds from my 178 cm knives. Probably just lucky.

Also notable, another day I was riding the same setup at Loveland, leashes hooked to the lowest buckle on my boots like always. I lost a ski, and much to my dismay it came untethered from my boot and missiled several hundred vertical feet down into the trees. Fortunately, it didn’t hit anyone and I was miraculously able to find it quickly. That’s the only time they’ve come loose in 6 years but they do make me nervous now.
The only time I lower the bar is après