Skiing a Peak: What it takes

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Re: Skiing a Peak: What it takes

Post by jmanner »

Chris Davenport did this exact thing on Evans.

Edit: I also will note that several(if not most) of those finishers on that listed didn't ski off the exact summit off every 14er and get 1,000' off every one of the summits. Just saying... I personally don't enjoy it when I don't get both of those criteria, but as a friend said ' I'm not doing it to be famous, semi-famous or sponsored.' Since I have a job and a relationship with my wife and kids that are more important to me than summit skis, I'll have to get what i ski in when I can get it. Maybe I go back again to do better later some other time, assuming we have good springs anymore.
bergsteigen wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:50 pm
jmanner wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:44 pm
a forest wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:23 pm I coincidently was just reading a Missouri TR that related to this thread, kinda funny.

https://stuckintherockies.com/2005/06/s ... -mountain/
This was literally my point earlier, sometimes its possible to ski something from the exact summit, but its pretty pointless exercise. Also moving snow around always seemed like jerking one's self off... its not really in until you made it in.
This is why I choose timing. Skiing the peaks when they are in, not when you get around to skiing them. I have never shoveled snow (that I remember). This just points out how serious some take the rules of skiing off the summit of the peak, even if it’s pretty ridiculous.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
lodgling
14ers: 58  58  2 
13ers: 18 1
Trip Reports (12)

Post by lodgling »

Patience is important, but so is a sense of humor. How long has in been since prohibition ended in Colorado? I would have thought everyone would have figured out to R-E-L-A-X by now.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

2” currently and more on the way in the local mountains, so that’s making me relax. Maybe this storm will fill in some summit gaps. Now if only the trolls would stop yelling.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

oldmanforest wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:00 pm ]

Fuuuuuuck what you or anybody else thinks someone should check or not check. That's my point. We aren't all accommodating you five or six people who want to make some kind of claim about some achievement. I'll check a peak climbed if I got within 500 feet of the summit, I'll check a peak skied if I ski 50 feet off the summit, and until that affects you in ANY way outside your own conceited sense of your own achievements, I dont care what you think is "probably best" for anybody else to do with their personal checklist on a massively popular website that would purport to cater to the one time climber, the centennial ski finisher, and everything in between. I'm not going to make little "memos" so you can make yourself feel better. You care way too much if you care at all about what other people check off their lists.
Well said
#micdrop
=D>
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

a forest wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:23 pm I coincidently was just reading a Missouri TR that related to this thread, kinda funny.
The sensible decision here would be to ski from the start of the snow. But no, that wouldn’t count. All winter long this peak can be skied off the top and just because we were late shouldn’t allow us any slack in the rules. We could come back later to redo it right, but we were already here, and it was so close to being a true summit ski. Lou managed it from the top as well….

So there we were, laying my jacket down, shoveling it full of snow and hauling it up to a point to dump it out, over and over, until Missouri once again skied from its summit. We were waiting for the snow to soften anyway and now we could ski and know it was done right. It seemed incredibly silly at the time but felt right when it was done.

As a non skimoguy, and confessing my ignorance, isn’t the summit actually the higher bump to the right of the contrived line?

Maybe a few more jacket loads were in order...
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

highpilgrim wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:26 pm
The sensible decision here would be to ski from the start of the snow. But no, that wouldn’t count. All winter long this peak can be skied off the top and just because we were late shouldn’t allow us any slack in the rules. We could come back later to redo it right, but we were already here, and it was so close to being a true summit ski. Lou managed it from the top as well….

So there we were, laying my jacket down, shoveling it full of snow and hauling it up to a point to dump it out, over and over, until Missouri once again skied from its summit. We were waiting for the snow to soften anyway and now we could ski and know it was done right. It seemed incredibly silly at the time but felt right when it was done.

As a non skimoguy, and confessing my ignorance, isn’t the summit actually the higher bump to the right of the contrived line?

Maybe a few more jacket loads were in order...
Depends on if that higher appearing point A) is actually higher, and B) is natural. If it's a summit cairn it doesn't fit the latter and generally (or always) the summit is considered to be the highest natural point, which a summit cairn is not. This also prevents things like radio antennae, buildings, etc. from being considered the summit (though they could of course be plopped on the highest natural point). As a silly example, there's an anecdote I think in the Roach book about alumni constructing ever larger cairns on the summits of Princeton and Yale, since they're one foot apart in natural elevation, in an attempt (possibly humorous, possibly serious) to claim their school's namesake peak is actually the higher of the two. USGS survey teams don't count cairns in any case, so there are actual governing body regulations for that one. ;)
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Seriously. Take a beaker and a scale up there if that’s what turns you on. But ain’t it good enough just to be out and up there at all??!
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

Let me see if I have this right:
this thread was started recommending that folks getting into skiing peaks emulate the ski finishers, who include Christy Mahon and Chris Davenport. 10 pages later and we're...crapping on the way that Christy Mahon and Chris Davenport made some of their 14er skis Dawson-rule compliant??? :-k
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

When adding a 13er to our checklists, should Bill remove the 3,000’ gained checkbox? It was stated the vast majority of 13er hikers don’t follow it, so why confuse the newer folks into thinking it’s a similar tradition to the 14ers?
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

AnnaG22 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:22 pm Let me see if I have this right:
this thread was started recommending that folks getting into skiing peaks emulate the ski finishers, who include Christy Mahon and Chris Davenport. 10 pages later and we're...crapping on the way that Christy Mahon and Chris Davenport made some of their 14er skis Dawson-rule compliant??? :-k
This is a clear case of they set the standards, but you can do them in a better way. Why I recommend timing and picking peaks to ski that are likely to be in from the summit. This means waiting for spring sticky storms to fill in summits, and skiing them before they melt out in summer. Jmanner is likely feeling guilty him and Bean down climbed a bit on Snowmass.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina
bluegrassclimber
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bluegrassclimber »

AnnaG22 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:22 pm Let me see if I have this right:
Highlights the absurdity of the thread! It’s okay to reconstruct a skiable line should Mother Nature’s snow plan not align with your scheduled attempt. BUT, god forbid you walk/downclimb that first 100ft ... that’s just disingenuous. I mean, did they even attempt to recreate the variable snow conditions found throughout the rest of the line, or was this groomed and therefore cheating?
Scary_Canary
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Scary_Canary »

bergsteigen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:10 pm Some finishers have only skied to a saddle and counted it. I don’t like it, but that’s grey area. On of my ski partners would not count anything that was side stepped and called me out for doing it for a few feet on Longs. We all have the levels to which we individually count things. I’m just trying to inform what those who’ve gone before me count as a ski descent.
See, stuff like this is honestly were things get seriously confusing. You "old timers" cant agree on anything, but the "younger gen" has to follow along without question. Lest there be consequences!
Wheres the baseline of what is generally accepted practice? Do we ski it when its in, or when we force it to be?
"if I'm on a peak with bad coverage because it's too early in the year or a drought, and I have to connect snow patches that would otherwise touch each other, then I don't count it." But we can shovel up snow til it's in and make it count.
Based off what I've currently seen, I can put snow in my pack and take it to the summit with my skis, ski a few ft down, and BAM skiier icon earned. Only need to ski off the summit right?

Do we have to be held to Otina's standard of 1000ft of descent off the summit. Does the comunity as a whole, or do you alone get to decide when that becomes a requirement? Why I also inquired about side stepping down in the TR. Another grey area, does it count or no?
To you it does but your friend may call you out and say Longs must be redone without sidestepping in order to be a finisher. Who gets the final say?

FOLLOW THE RULES!...
However, "We all have the levels to which we individually count things." 10 pages later, and this whole thing could've been left with this single quote after your comment in the TR, and left at that.
Funny stuff.
The risk I took was calculated, but I'm terrible at math.