Skiing a Peak: What it takes

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
oldmanforest
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Skiing a Peak: What it takes

Post by oldmanforest »

Deleted
Last edited by oldmanforest on Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

oldmanforest wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:00 pm
angry wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:47 pm
bergsteigen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:56 pm I’m not going to let a whiny hikeneer dictate skier ethics, that’s for the ski community to decide. But the winter/frozen 14er peeps can chime in with how they expect their rules to be followed - cause they do!
madbuck wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:19 pm Why not start with a PM?
The rules are set, so follow em if you want to be considered a ski finisher or frozen finisher. If you're just doing your own thing, then it's probably best not to check the ski or snowflake icon and instead add in the memo section whatever you want about your "ski descent or winter snowflake". There are a lot of users on here that are checking off both 14er and 13ers with a snowflake even though they hiked them after calendar winter ended. Some even last week. Oh and I did PM someone and said hey, great job on XX peak but we are in spring in case you didn't know. They responded calling me a bitch, yay community! :lol:
Fuuuuuuck what you or anybody else thinks someone should check or not check. That's my point. We aren't all accommodating you five or six people who want to make some kind of claim about some achievement. I'll check a peak climbed if I got within 500 feet of the summit, I'll check a peak skied if I ski 50 feet off the summit, and until that affects you in ANY way outside your own conceited sense of your own achievements, I dont care what you think is "probably best" for anybody else to do with their personal checklist on a massively popular website that would purport to cater to the one time climber, the centennial ski finisher, and everything in between. I'm not going to make little "memos" so you can make yourself feel better. You care way too much if you care at all about what other people check off their lists.
Please try to chill a bit.
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

oldmanforest wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:00 pm Fuuuuuuck what you or anybody else thinks someone should check or not check. That's my point. We aren't all accommodating you five or six people who want to make some kind of claim about some achievement. I'll check a peak climbed if I got within 500 feet of the summit, I'll check a peak skied if I ski 50 feet off the summit, and until that affects you in ANY way outside your own conceited sense of your own achievements, I dont care what you think is "probably best" for anybody else to do with their personal checklist on a massively popular website that would purport to cater to the one time climber, the centennial ski finisher, and everything in between. I'm not going to make little "memos" so you can make yourself feel better. You care way too much if you care at all about what other people check off their lists.

In all honesty, I don't think anyone should really care what others think about what defines a ski descent or winter ascent *unless* they are following a list and hoping to earn the title of "finisher."

However, I get Otina's frustration with those claiming an accomplishment when it doesn't fit within her ethos, and that which is accepted broadly by the ski mountaineering community. You can give the rules the middle finger, if you want, and I think most probably do, but the list of 14er ski finishers is pretty small. If you seek out the accomplishment of having skied them, and want recognition for it, you better follow the rules, whether you like them or not.

If you don't care about lists or check boxes, do wtf you wanna do, and I agree with AlexeyD's post about the check box being helpful for sorting TRs, whether they fit some definition of a ski descent or not.

But don't criticize standards that are applied to something you admittedly don't care about, just f*ck right off and be quiet.
Make wilderness less accessible.
angry
14ers: 58  45 
13ers: 231 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by angry »

I’m not asking anyone to accommodate me, oldmanwhoonlypostsragecomments. maybe take a xanax.
6E17FEBF-9EEB-4A19-B295-E362DF02935E.jpeg
6E17FEBF-9EEB-4A19-B295-E362DF02935E.jpeg (55.15 KiB) Viewed 3579 times
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

Easy Rider wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:40 pm I decided Challenger is more of an art installation than an objective mountaineering goal. Nobody standing there at the plaque would look over at Kit Carson and say "Welp, this is it! I'm at the top now." It's shortfall is a deliberate anthem to failure. Accepting that reaction can be a surprisingly inspiring experience. But is it worth alienating an entire generation of climbers in the wake of an otherwise arbitrary government dedication? Nah. Not unless they made it illegal.
Yes, yes, and YES! Badge of honor that I haven't climbed or skied that thing! 54 baby!

Let's ski something soon my friend :)
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

angry wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:39 pm I’m not asking anyone to accommodate me, oldmanwhoonlypostsragecomments. maybe take a xanax.

6E17FEBF-9EEB-4A19-B295-E362DF02935E.jpeg
Pretty simple.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
pcsongei
14ers: 15 
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pcsongei »

oldmanforest wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:00 pm
angry wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:47 pm
bergsteigen wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 1:56 pm I’m not going to let a whiny hikeneer dictate skier ethics, that’s for the ski community to decide. But the winter/frozen 14er peeps can chime in with how they expect their rules to be followed - cause they do!
madbuck wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:19 pm Why not start with a PM?
The rules are set, so follow em if you want to be considered a ski finisher or frozen finisher. If you're just doing your own thing, then it's probably best not to check the ski or snowflake icon and instead add in the memo section whatever you want about your "ski descent or winter snowflake". There are a lot of users on here that are checking off both 14er and 13ers with a snowflake even though they hiked them after calendar winter ended. Some even last week. Oh and I did PM someone and said hey, great job on XX peak but we are in spring in case you didn't know. They responded calling me a bitch, yay community! :lol:
Fuuuuuuck what you or anybody else thinks someone should check or not check. That's my point. We aren't all accommodating you five or six people who want to make some kind of claim about some achievement. I'll check a peak climbed if I got within 500 feet of the summit, I'll check a peak skied if I ski 50 feet off the summit, and until that affects you in ANY way outside your own conceited sense of your own achievements, I dont care what you think is "probably best" for anybody else to do with their personal checklist on a massively popular website that would purport to cater to the one time climber, the centennial ski finisher, and everything in between. I'm not going to make little "memos" so you can make yourself feel better. You care way too much if you care at all about what other people check off their lists.
Lol at this whole f***ing "conversation." I'm with you, oldmanforest. Talk about a turn off to occasional forum users like myself. I'm not feeling the "community" vibes at all. If ya'll really cared about community, you wouldn't have to come on here to talk about people you are mentoring, you'd just do it and be grateful to be part of it. Calling people noobs because they don't live on this forum and know all of your "rules" for hiking/skiing/whatever? Calling people whiny and telling hikers they have no business in this thread if they don't ski 14ers? Feels really elitist and definitely NOT inclusive.

I'll admit to being pretty entertained by the other call out thread recently, the one about the dude who falsely marked a bunch of peaks on LoJ or whatever. But it still left a bad taste in my mouth and didn't feel at all like a community looking out for each other. And this is even worse... I saw the comments that were left on this dudes ski trip report. Shouldn't that have been enough? Maybe a PM with him? Why did you have to start another call out thread and literally just re-hash the same arguments for the whole forum to see? Why did this have to be such a public lashing? Sounds like this dude just wanted to have fun in the mountains and you made a big spectacle out of it.
a forest
Trip Reports (0)

Post by a forest »

I coincidently was just reading a Missouri TR that related to this thread, kinda funny.
The sensible decision here would be to ski from the start of the snow. But no, that wouldn’t count. All winter long this peak can be skied off the top and just because we were late shouldn’t allow us any slack in the rules. We could come back later to redo it right, but we were already here, and it was so close to being a true summit ski. Lou managed it from the top as well….

So there we were, laying my jacket down, shoveling it full of snow and hauling it up to a point to dump it out, over and over, until Missouri once again skied from its summit. We were waiting for the snow to soften anyway and now we could ski and know it was done right. It seemed incredibly silly at the time but felt right when it was done.

https://stuckintherockies.com/2005/06/s ... -mountain/

Either way, the skier is smiling so they're doing something right.
Last edited by a forest on Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

Sheesh. Divided we fall
jmanner
14ers: 58  28  10 
13ers: 55 14 3
Trip Reports (15)

Post by jmanner »

a forest wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:23 pm I coincidently was just reading a Missouri TR that related to this thread, kinda funny.
The sensible decision here would be to ski from the start of the snow. But no, that wouldn’t count. All winter long this peak can be skied off the top and just because we were late shouldn’t allow us any slack in the rules. We could come back later to redo it right, but we were already here, and it was so close to being a true summit ski. Lou managed it from the top as well….

So there we were, laying my jacket down, shoveling it full of snow and hauling it up to a point to dump it out, over and over, until Missouri once again skied from its summit. We were waiting for the snow to soften anyway and now we could ski and know it was done right. It seemed incredibly silly at the time but felt right when it was done.

This was literally my point earlier, sometimes its possible to ski something from the exact summit, but its pretty pointless exercise. Also moving snow around always seemed like jerking one's self off... its not really in until you made it in.
A man has got to know his limitations.-Dr. Jonathan Hemlock or Harry Callahan or something F' it: http://youtu.be/lpzqQst-Sg8

'Life is too short to ski groomers'

"That man's only desire was to stand, once only, on the summit of that glorious wedge of rock...I think anyone who loves the mountains as much as that can claim to be a mountaineer, too."-Hermann Buhl, Nanga Parbat Pilgrimage
a forest
Trip Reports (0)

Post by a forest »

Last edited by a forest on Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bergsteigen
14ers: 58  52  18 
13ers: 538 100 12
Trip Reports (237)

Post by bergsteigen »

jmanner wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:44 pm
a forest wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 6:23 pm I coincidently was just reading a Missouri TR that related to this thread, kinda funny.

This was literally my point earlier, sometimes its possible to ski something from the exact summit, but its pretty pointless exercise. Also moving snow around always seemed like jerking one's self off... its not really in until you made it in.
This is why I choose timing. Skiing the peaks when they are in, not when you get around to skiing them. I have never shoveled snow (that I remember). This just points out how serious some take the rules of skiing off the summit of the peak, even if it’s pretty ridiculous.
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." - Ernest Hemingway (or was it Barnaby Conrad?)
Your knees only get so many bumps in life, don't waste them on moguls!
“No athlete is truly tested until they’ve stared an injury in the face and come out on the other side stronger than ever” -anonymous

http://otinasadventures.com @otina