Life expectancy of an AT boot?

Info, conditions and gear related to skiing or riding Colorado Peaks, including the 14ers!
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Life expectancy of an AT boot?

Post by Wildernessjane »

Reformed tele skier here. After much trial and error, I’ve finally found a pair of AT boots that don’t give me blisters and still feel pretty comfy after many hours in. However, I have had these boots for less than two full seasons (December of 2020) and they are already showing significant wear. I’ve had three buckles break (one falling completely off just after getting back to the car) and the attachment holding the upper part of the boot on is now loose and apparently can’t be tightened. I know longevity will vary greatly depending on use and rider style but this seems crazy excessive to me. I weigh all of like 120 lbs so I’m not putting a considerable amount of force on these boots. For reference, I’m talking about the Scarpa Gea RS boots so definitely not the lightest boots out there either. Although I do have a dedicated resort setup, I have used these in the resort numerous times as it’s easier if I’m going to do a backcountry day followed by a resort day and I’m staying over (a practice I suspect I’ll need to rethink). At this rate, I doubt these will last beyond this season. Is this unusual? Thoughts?
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
pvnisher
Trip Reports (8)

Re: Life expectancy of an AT boot?

Post by pvnisher »

That doesn't sound right.
I use the Marstrale for about 3 or 4 years? And nothing like that.
I use them in and out bounds, they're currently my only boot.
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

on my older scarpas i replaced the liner after 3 seasons, 1 broken buckle
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Scarpa Geas lasted me 3 seasons of heavy use. But plastic tongues broke after I skied them at the resort (1st season) and after warrantied repairs I never skied them at the resort again. As a reference point, much lighter and more fragile looking Dynafits each lasted 4 seasons with zero resort days outside of a demo day.
spoony
14ers: 21  14  3 
13ers: 5 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by spoony »

Broken buckles are pretty common with AT boots in my experience since the buckles get smacked on rocks and stuff while walking around. Small cracks in the shell material happen too, but your issue seems excessive. FWIW, I have skied my old Dynafits for around 100 days without similar issues.

I know Scarpa had an issue with cracking tongues/upper shells for a while (maybe 5-ish years ago). Is your boot from that era? If so, you might make a warranty claim.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

This is probably advise you're already following, but it's good practice to buckle up a boot when not in use. The buckles can get caught on things when you throw it in your trunk or closet if they're undone, which can break them much easier. Buckling a boot when not being worn can also keep the shell from stretching out to a shape you don't want.
bdmtns
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdmtns »

That does not sound right, and you haven't even had an issues with Scarpa's wonky "door tongue" yet...

Just this season I replaced my 2014 Gea RS's that have done double duty as touring and occasional in-bounds at 50+ days per year since purchase, and the only issue is one tongue hinge had to be replaced.
I would have to guess that as the model has evolved to be ever lighter, the durability just isn't there anymore? But your case sounds a little extreme, have you considered submitting a warranty with Scarpa, to see if they'll help you out with repairs or a credit for new boots? Are boots like cars and there are just going to be lemons out there?

Sorry you have to deal with this, guess I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my new TLT8's hold up for at least a few good years!