Crestone Accident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
MountainHiker
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 109
Trip Reports (7)

Re: Crestone Accident

Post by MountainHiker »

I had a terrible feeling when I heard there was SAR operation on the Crestones. Jeremy had contacted me via FB Messenger in the weeks prior to this trip. We had multiple conversations about potential conditions. I had done both the Peak and the Needle a few times, but had not done the traverse, so couldn't provide any information on that part of the route. He was also doing research on 14ers.com.

My wife Dorthe & I had met Jeremy and Shannyn on Granite Peak in Montana in 2018. We stayed in touch and Jeremy joined me for a couple Colorado fourteeners later that year. Jeremy invited me to join him on this climb, but I was unable with it being a busy time at work.

Jeremy, you really were a unique individual. As an atheist it was unusual to have such candid frank conversations with a minister! I know you had a really big heart and will always cherish the memories of the few times we met in person. My thoughts and condolences go out to Shannyn and everyone in Jeremy’s world.
Red, Rugged, and Rotten: The Elk Range - Borneman & Lampert
E_A_Marcus_949
14ers: 58 
13ers: 56
Trip Reports (7)

Post by E_A_Marcus_949 »

Many condolences to the family and loved ones.

It was hard seeing the helicopter on Sat 9/11 from the basin after Crestone Needle and knowing something was going on when they were going back the next day. I had hoped for the best and feared the worst.
Phill the Thrill
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 60
Trip Reports (6)

Post by Phill the Thrill »

My prayers are with Pastor Fuerst's wife, family, friends, and his congregation. What a terrible loss.
"Everyone wants to live on top of the mountain, but all the happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it." - Andy Rooney
ChrisinAZ
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 36
Trip Reports (12)

Post by ChrisinAZ »

I knew Jeremy through my interest in county highpointing...his trip reports were invaluable resources on many climbs of obscure mountains, hills, and bumps in the Pacific Northwest. Had the chance to meet him on a private group hike in California, and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy.

My condolences to his family. He will be missed.
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason."
— Jack Handy

Mah peaks
shail_official
14ers: 8  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by shail_official »

RIP.
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

RIP.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Sorry to hear about this. Any idea where it occurred along the traverse?
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

Deepest sympathy and prayers for comfort and strength for Jeremy's family and friends. May he rest in peace forever, and may his memory always be a blessing.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

Dobsons wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:26 pm These threads never get any easier to read about.
Indeed, they don't. My deepest condolences to Jeremy's family and friends.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
Reg0928
14ers: 58 
13ers: 253 2 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Reg0928 »

Jorts wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:20 am Sorry to hear about this. Any idea where it occurred along the traverse?
There is a Conditions Report on the Needle from the day of the body recovery. The report says the body was recovered from between the Black Gendarme and the crux wall. Keep in mind this isn't any kind of official report though.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Reg0928 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:23 am There is a Conditions Report on the Needle from the day of the body recovery. The report says the body was recovered from between the Black Gendarme and the crux wall. Keep in mind this isn't any kind of official report though.
Damn. That section is deceptively dangerous. Thanks for the info.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring