Climber Falls to Death in Chicago Basin

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Ritzn1
14ers: 17 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Re: Climber Falls to Death in Chicago Basin

Post by Ritzn1 »

DaveMK wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:52 am The climber was a very good friend of mine. He was an experienced climber with over 50 14ers climbed, and active on 14ers.com. I took him to Chicago Basin back in 2008; he only climbed Windom, it was his first 14er, but he loved it. He went back on Sunday, with another friend that is his regular climbing partner, to finally climb Eolus/N.Eolus and Sunlight. I don't have solid details yet, but he fell somewhere on one of the climbs. Initial report is that he fell about 30-40 feet and was alive when his climbing partner got to him. He performed CPR until my friends heart stopped and he was sure there was no way to revive him. This whole situation feels impossible, he was a very responsible/cautious climber. He is married with 4 teenage children.
So sorry for the loss of your friend!
andreasansone
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 73
Trip Reports (1)

Post by andreasansone »

I have a sweet friend who worked closely with Dr. Christensen.

“He was a very experienced climber. Such a nice guy and great doc. So good with families of our babies.” -Carrie

This story is heart wrenching - my deepest condolences go out to his family. It always is a punch in the gut to read these posts, and know the world has lost an incredible human.
“Be not afraid of going slowly, be afraid only of standing still.”
JaredJohnson
14ers: 28  5 
13ers: 13
Trip Reports (3)

Post by JaredJohnson »

Dr. Christensen did not know me but sent me a very kind note of support after hearing about our baby that successfully recovered from heart surgery. Very sad to hear this, our family will be praying for his. Wish we could do more to reciprocate the care from this kind individual.
Ed_Groves
14ers: 25 
13ers: 11
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Ed_Groves »

My deepest condolences to his family, his friends, his patients, and those who knew him posting here. What can one say at a time like this? My hope is that you all can find peace with this at some point in time. Very sorry for your loss.
"Education is the process of moving from cocksure ignorance to thoughtful uncertainty." (Utvich)
sheller
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 43
Trip Reports (0)

Post by sheller »

This is sad. I did a very memorable group hike with him up Snowmass. Deepest condolences to Doug's Family and friends. I remember him always having a smile on his face and a great attitude.
Husker Hank
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Husker Hank »

Was there any report as to which peak the accident was on?
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

Husker Hank wrote: Sun Aug 21, 2022 12:59 pm Was there any report as to which peak the accident was on?
Windom Peak
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

i always feel terrible when i read about such sad happenings. i sincerely send his family well wishes.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I feel terrible too. As a pediatric MD he must have done so much good for the world. Still can’t wrap my head around where you could fall to your death on Windom unless on the side facing Jupiter. Guess every peak has an element of danger.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
ericsforsyth
14ers: 38  1 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ericsforsyth »

Unfortunately, I was in the basin that day, and climbed Windom on Tuesday when Doug was recovered the next day. Heartbreaking and somber to be there, witnessing the helicopter efforts on and around Windom on Tuesday. I spoke with his climbing partner JR on Tuesday as well as via text later in the week. I really feel for him too. It turns out we have close mutual friends with Doug's family.

Please wear a helmet up there. Even on class 2 terrain.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

JChitwood wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:55 pm Guess every peak has an element of danger.
And even a short fall can have tragic consequences. Sorry this happened. Condolences to his friends, family, patients. Every fatal incident in our mountains makes me question risk and decision making out there. Guess all any of us can do is remain aware and stay vigilant of the objective hazards present every time we venture out.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring