A "No" Cairn

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Above_Treeline
14ers:summits3 
Trip Reports (1)

A "No" Cairn

Post by Above_Treeline » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:29 pm

I was thinking about it, and I had an idea. Cairns seem to be accepted more than signs, why not have a "No" cairn? A specific shape that means "don't go there."

Cairns seem to be more acceptable to people. I don't particularly mind a few signs myself, but I do worry about, if you put one up here, will it lead to more? Which I wouldn't like, if there were too many.

Maybe put up 3 cairns really close together or something?
justiner
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits138 
Trip Reports (26)

Re: A "No" Cairn

Post by justiner » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Well, that's the problem with carins, right? They're open to interpretation - is this the way I'm supposed to go, or not? (Probably where I'm supposed to go, but...). But I also build cairns to cache gear, then dismantle them when I'm done. Cairns also get modified by those passing them - built up if they're useful, or broken down, if they're misleading (but that's subjective, right?). I would assume having a lexicon of cairns would not work, as they would just break down into what other cairns are "meant" to communicate. Then you've got the problem of backwards compatibility, right? Maybe there's 3 cairns close to each other already in an area? Do they mean, "no", now, or do they mean, "yes" still, and I have to know the history of the cairns? I've seen some wacky cairn zoos out there - 3 or 4 within ten feet? I think people stop at cairns when they're waiting for a partner, and just start constructing them because it's fun, and they're bored.

I don't think cairn building is the greatest of ideas to do, unless you're somehow officiated in making the route. Like those enormous cairns you see through talus on say, the approach to Pyramid. They're there for a specific reason, and by the CFI. The cairns *in* the actual route, where all the scrambly bits are? It's just random people's opinions. You gotta make your own judgement call.
Above_Treeline
14ers:summits3 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Above_Treeline » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:52 pm

It wouldn't be an airtight solution, but if we could come up with a shape, and there was a certain shape of cairn at the dangerous spot, say on Capitol, it might help.

I think one of the accidents on Capitol, the guy tried to talk his buddy out of going. If there's a cairn there, maybe the guy is more likely to listen.

It would be a lot less likely, but people might miss a sign, too. Nothing is 100%
12ersRule
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits134 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule » Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:04 pm

nonono.jpg
No Cairn
nonono.jpg (42.23 KiB) Viewed 1985 times
RockyMountainMustang
14ers:summits32 
13ers:summits1 

Post by RockyMountainMustang » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:07 pm

or like a giant f***ing X

because nobody likes their ex.
"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either daring adventure, or nothing. To keep our faces toward change and behave like free spirits in the presence of fate is strength undefeatable." - Helen Keller
JQDivide
14ers:summits58 winter33 
13ers:summits95 winter3 
Trip Reports (43)

Post by JQDivide » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:13 pm

Nope.... people are trained to "go to" cairns.... cairns mark the 'way'....
It would be entire new learning process to teach a new system with cairns.
I don't see that happening.
And what happens when someone alters a "no" cairn, by mistake or on purpose, then you're back where you started.

JQ
XterraRob
14ers:summits41 winter7 
13ers:summits12 winter1 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:13 pm

A wall
SkaredShtles
14ers: List not added

Post by SkaredShtles » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:17 pm

We need a cairn that looks like this:

RockiesAdrian
14ers:summits58 winter1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RockiesAdrian » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:23 pm

XterraRob wrote:A wall
Yup. This is pretty much SOP for CFI. Where there is an obvious trail, you put a wall where you don't want hikers going off it. Of course that can backfire if you're on the other side looking to find your way back onto the trail...
In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
mr_Chris
14ers:summits38 
13ers:summits5 

Post by mr_Chris » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:29 pm

painless4u2
14ers:summits58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:45 pm

Maybe a Gandalf Cairn would do.
YOU SHALL NOT PASS.jpg
YOU SHALL NOT PASS.jpg (867.4 KiB) Viewed 1779 times
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
rmattas
14ers: List not added

Post by rmattas » Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:01 pm

God bless you guys for taking the initiative…humor and all...
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton