Near Misses

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Stratosfearsome
14ers: 58  2  33 
13ers: 244 9 3
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Near Misses

Post by Stratosfearsome »

I day-tripped "Castleabra" the day before yesterday.
Nobody climbs 14ers anymore, they’re too crowded.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

d_baker wrote:Well, I'm in N Dakotaa...

White Butte is available. :mrgreen: You won't need any diamox for it.
Last edited by highpilgrim on Sat May 12, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

highpilgrim wrote:
d_baker wrote:Well, I'm in N Dakotaa...
White Butte is available. :mrgreen:
So is getting chased by bison in Theodore Roosevelt NP.
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

d_baker wrote:So is getting chased by bison in Theodore Roosevelt NP.
Trip report with pictures or I call bulls**t.

Btw, don't take selfies with bison in case you were thinking of including one.
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

highpilgrim wrote:
d_baker wrote:So is getting chased by bison in Theodore Roosevelt NP.
Trip report with pictures or I call bulls**t.

Btw, don't take selfies with bison in case you were thinking of including one.
No trip report. Would post here on this thread as a near miss (hopefully).
They're too big to get in a selfie anyway. I'll see about getting a selfie stick so as it chases me I can capture the fear in my eyes as it barrels down the trail at me.
highpilgrim
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

d_baker wrote:They're too big to get in a selfie anyway. I'll see about getting a selfie stick so as it chases me I can capture the fear in my eyes as it barrels down the trail at me.
Not everyone is as smart as you, apparently. Notice that the first "bison" in that vid looks more like a cratchety member who will remain nameless. Maybe.

Last edited by highpilgrim on Sat May 12, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunter S Thompson

Dick Derkase
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

I haven't had any great near misses, just usual stuff:

A ice projectile hit me straight between my eyes on my first time up Lambslide.

One time I followed Cordis up the ridge to the left of Lambslide - way left, which was a bad idea, as that rock is not all that solid. Hardest moves of the day, for sure. If you go that way, stay as close to Lambslide as possible, and you'll be fine. Finer.

Fell descending North Maroon.

Planned to take the NW Face route on Little Bear, but I woke up looking straight at it, and nope'd the F out of that one. Climbed the Hourglass instead, then fell straight on my ass during the traverse, right on the ridge (tripped?). Luckily, no one saw me.

Wrong way up California on a very steep, crumbling face.

Took an underdocumented gully up Ellingwood, instead of C2 or C3. That worked out fine, really. Took an underdocumented gully off of Blanca. That wasn't so fun.

Caught in a violent thunderstorm on Redcloud. That sucked.

Summited Missouri in terrible snow conditions, then decided to go for Emerald, which was casual. Getting back over to the north was a little tricky, as Elkhead Pass was a no-go. Late in the afternoon, and there was a cornice on the top of that sucker. My bright idea was to gain Missouri's East Ridge somehow then, traverse over towards Elkhead Pass. A little touch and go, I guess. It's not a pleasant place to be, in the best of conditions. No crampons, no ice axe.

I dunno, usual stuff. It's what I would expect mountaineering. It's not a very controlled environment.

I'm not a very bold person, to be quite honest. I try to veer aware for impending doom. Or maybe I've just been lucky when the terrain gets terrible. ...in any case, it's been awhile since I've visited the ER for something like bodily damage. Probably the last time was a broken rib while skateboarding. In my teens. (knock on wood). It's good to be conservative out there (I think), and self-aware. I think about Dave Mackey's accident and how that could have surely been me, or anyone I see out here in Boulder. I think training to climb at a moderate level helps with things like balance and reflexes. It doesn't help with crap rock or snow, though.

My biggest near miss was being t-boned by a Jeep while riding home after running Green Mountain (like I've done hundreds of times). Bike destroyed. and I just sprained my wrist. Other than that, I came out of that one OK. I really liked that bike, though. I don't like white Jeeps now. But I find most all Jeepers super friendly people when they're out of the track. Very amicable people.
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Brad2 wrote:To brichardsson,
You seem to have missed some dialogue.
nope. i got the dialogue. TG suggested an alternate route that is largely class 2/3 until it's not (apparently getting more difficult). then everyone piled on because, well, tallgrass.

if you want to argue other minutia with him, fine, have a go, but to falsely claim as you and several others did that TG claims the route to be class 3 is kinda, well, strawman-y.
719BR
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

highpilgrim wrote:
I think it's funny that none of the people on this thread, including me, are actually climbing something right now.

Sad way to spend a day off; wasting time on the Gasbag.
i'm in texas, taking care of my dad who has parkinson's. even assuming there was a peak nearby, i wouldn't be climbing it regardless.
Brad2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Brad2 »

brichardsson wrote:if you want to argue other minutia...
Wait, you misspelled minutiae.

Hahaha, sometimes I crack myself up!
719BR
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 719BR »

Brad2 wrote:
brichardsson wrote:if you want to argue other minutia...
Wait, you misspelled minutiae.

Hahaha, sometimes I crack myself up!
http://www.dictionary.com/browse/minutia
Brad2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Brad2 »

Perhaps I should have been more specific. You used the singular form when you intended the plural.

It would potentially have been correct usage to say, '...if you want to argue another minutia...'

But really, this is getting silly.