Mt Hood "rescue"

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Mt Hood "rescue"

Post by peter303 »

Curious. I wonder if he planned it all along or something about the climb, e.g. thin air, that triggered the urge.

Suicides in national parks are not rare. Maybe its the feeling of dying in a beautiful place is better. And not leaving a mess back in the homestead. Usually prople dont do a long, streneous hike beforehand.
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

Wentzl wrote:Climber in distress? That is not what I read in the story. Man intent on suicide. Acknowledge the difference or we have nothing to discuss.

A man calls 911 from the top of a mountain and says I am going to overdose on pills. Send a chopper? Really?

What if the suicidal target had a gun? Not unusual for individuals to use a firearm for their final solution. Would you fly your chopper into that scene?

He obviously didn't want to die or he would not have made the call. Let him walk down.

It was inappropriate to risk that kind of manpower and those resources on someone who did not want to come down. It could have ended badly, and for what?

Too harsh?

I am guessing the OP agrees, or he would not post with the snarky title.

If they gave us a little more in the story, if the caller said something like; "I came up here to die, but now I have seen Jesus and I want to come down, but I am stuck", then maybe. . .
Yup, too harsh.

Man calls 911 from his living room, woman calls 911 from a lake, teenager calls 911 from a bridge or talk building. All irrelevant to the role the people that rescue and serve play.

Oh, and Jesus has nothing to do with this, but nice try.
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

Wentzl wrote: He obviously didn't want to die or he would not have made the call. Let him walk down.
Exactly....what he wanted was attention. If he really wanted to kill himself, he would have just done it.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
oldschool
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (23)

Post by oldschool »

IntrepidXJ wrote:
Wentzl wrote: He obviously didn't want to die or he would not have made the call. Let him walk down.
Exactly....what he wanted was attention. If he really wanted to kill himself, he would have just done it.
This clearly indicates a person in distress.

The lack of empathy shown in some of the responses in this post is f#cked up...
"There's a feeling I get when I look to the West and my spirit is crying for leaving" Led Zeppelin
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

oldschool wrote:
IntrepidXJ wrote:
This clearly indicates a person in distress.

The lack of empathy shown in some of the responses in this post is f#cked up...
Lack of empathy, total lack of understanding of the real situation, replacing that with baseless assumptions, welcome to the internet. I'ld save your energy, oldschool. Thankfully SAR executes better judgement then this.
Best Regards
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 25 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Here’s another take on it: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... 018-07-13/

Sounds like he climbed Mount Hood with the intention of taking his own life but may have changed his mind and couldn’t get down safely. Who knows if he even had the skills or experience to be on the mountain in the first place (which is less relevant if you plan on dying there, right?). Makes a lot more sense than him calling 911 and threatening to take an overdose. Seriously though, how often does the media botch up the details of these sorts of things?
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
billycox
Trip Reports (0)

Post by billycox »

I wish more suicidal/depressed people would seek attention rather than just doing it.
lafiurcm
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lafiurcm »

Wasn't the county and 911 call center just sued for $10 million dollars for taking too long to respond to a fall on Hood last year? I'd like to think help would be sent in this situation, regardless, but I'm sure the response to accidents on Hood will be a lot quicker than in previous years or compared to other mountains.
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

I am glad that SAR has better judgement than many people on this message board. Mental health issues are just as real as physical health problems. We have enough resources in this country to address both topics if we want to.
Brian C
14ers: 45  5 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (25)

Post by Brian C »

IntrepidXJ wrote:

Wow. It's a terrible showing of personality to openly express such a blatant and callous disregard for other people. Mental health is something that so many people don't understand or care to understand.

Something to think about.

Also, I saw this a while back and this reminded me of it (2:20 especially)...
Brian in the Wild
Lists of John
"Nature never did betray the heart that loved her." - Wordsworth
spiderman
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 27
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman »

Thanks for posting that video, Brian. A large fraction of this community have had friends or family members who either committed or seriously thought about suicide.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

In this thread: “I couldn’t be bothered to read the facts of the incident or the article in question, but let’s have a nuanced discussion about the role of SAR while I e-vomit about mental health.”

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.