Successful Rescue on Quandary

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Post Reply
User avatar
pmeadco
Posts: 302
Joined: 6/21/2015
14ers:summits58 winter2 

Re: Successful Rescue on Quandary

Post by pmeadco » Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:57 am

Wow! This thread suddenly took off on a tangent.
FWIW, there is a difference between population growth and a stable population. That's all I have to say... :roll:
User avatar
Terminally_Chill
Posts: 14
Joined: 6/1/2018
14ers:summits40 
13ers:summits17 

Re: Successful Rescue on Quandary

Post by Terminally_Chill » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:10 am

LURE wrote:
Terminally_Chill wrote:"Growth for the sake of growth is the ideology of the cancer cell." Ed Abbey
You have children? Plan to have children?

If the answer to either is yes than you might wanna rethink that a little.


hahaha.... No and no.

And I am talking about the 10,000 people moving here per month. And before you ask "what gives you the right to complain" I'll say that the Ute side of my family has been here for thousands of years and the other side of my family has been here for 7 generations and have a 14'er named after our great great great great grandfather. Despite this we are being priced and crowded out of our ancestral state, so please tell me why we shouldn't be frustrated? =)
User avatar
Terminally_Chill
Posts: 14
Joined: 6/1/2018
14ers:summits40 
13ers:summits17 

Re: Successful Rescue on Quandary

Post by Terminally_Chill » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:13 am

pmeadco wrote:Wow! This thread suddenly took off on a tangent.
FWIW, there is a difference between population growth and a stable population. That's all I have to say... :roll:

Yessir, and 77,000 new residents to Colorado in 2017 would be considered population growth wouldn't it?
peter303
Posts: 3270
Joined: 6/17/2009
14ers:summits34 
13ers:summits12 
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Successful Rescue on Quandary

Post by peter303 » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:22 pm

Terminally_Chill wrote:
pmeadco wrote: Yessir, and 77,000 new residents to Colorado in 2017 would be considered population growth wouldn't it?
67,000 births, 37,000 deaths, 47,000 net migrants, about 4,000 moving here a month

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/20/c ... tion-2017/
User avatar
rijaca
Posts: 3186
Joined: 7/9/2006
14ers:summits58 winter4 
13ers:summits244 ski1 winter3 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Successful Rescue on Quandary

Post by rijaca » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:28 pm

And the peeps that were rescued were from Texas.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
User avatar
spiderman
Posts: 802
Joined: 9/26/2011
14ers:summits58 winter3 
13ers:summits26 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Successful Rescue on Quandary

Post by spiderman » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:31 pm

Terminally_Chill wrote:
LURE wrote:
hahaha.... No and no.

And I am talking about the 10,000 people moving here per month. And before you ask "what gives you the right to complain" I'll say that the Ute side of my family has been here for thousands of years and the other side of my family has been here for 7 generations and have a 14'er named after our great great great great grandfather. Despite this we are being priced and crowded out of our ancestral state, so please tell me why we shouldn't be frustrated? =)
As a home owner, the rising prices are great. My main concern is that Texas is not giving us their best and brightest. They keep sending us their rapists, murders, trail-poopers, and people who need SAR when a mid-summer snowstorm strikes a 14er. We need to build a wall around the dumb part of the Lone Star state, the area where everyone owns a 2wd pickup truck and their hats are 5x bigger than their brains.
User avatar
LURE
Posts: 1204
Joined: 6/28/2011
14ers:summits32 
13ers:summits11 

Re: Successful Rescue on Quandary

Post by LURE » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:36 pm

spiderman wrote:As a home owner, the rising prices are great. My main concern is that Texas is not giving us their best and brightest. They keep sending us their rapists, murders, trail-poopers, and people who need SAR when a mid-summer snowstorm strikes a 14er. We need to build a wall around the dumb part of the Lone Star state, the area where everyone owns a 2wd pickup truck and their hats are 5x bigger than their brains.
Zero to a hundred real quick there, bro. Deep breaths.
User avatar
highpilgrim
Posts: 3037
Joined: 3/14/2008
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits82 winter1 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Successful Rescue on Quandary

Post by highpilgrim » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:47 pm

spiderman wrote:They keep sending us their rapists, murders, trail-poopers, and people who need SAR when a mid-summer snowstorm strikes a 14er. We need to build a wall around the dumb part of the Lone Star state, the area where everyone owns a 2wd pickup truck and their hats are 5x bigger than their brains.
That pretty much describes the entire state, excluding Austin, Marfa and Terlingua. I'm sure there are a few more, but generally speaking that is.

Building a wall around the state makes sense. Mexicans want no texans moving south and that would slow them down.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
User avatar
LetsGoMets
Posts: 278
Joined: 9/9/2012
14ers:summits49 winter4 
13ers:summits93 winter6 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Successful Rescue on Quandary

Post by LetsGoMets » Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:51 pm

Trump skis in jeans.
Instagram: @bsodaro86
User avatar
CHWitte
Posts: 278
Joined: 8/6/2008
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits17 
Trip Reports (13)

Re: Successful Rescue on Quandary

Post by CHWitte » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:50 pm

[/quote]Despite this we are being priced and crowded out of our ancestral state, so please tell me why we shouldn't be frustrated? =)[/quote]

Look on the bright side...

1. Tourism dollars spent in CO are increasing as an influx of residents also equals an increase in tourism as family members visit. Not to mention those people without any family members coming in and spending.

2. State income and property tax collection increases as property values go up and more jobs open up, allowing state government more money to spend on sustainability/education, should they choose to spend it on this.

3. Conservation/Sustainability power in Congress increases as your number of US Reps. goes up with population.

4. More people are enjoying what you enjoy. Little selfish to exclude everyone else from a good thing just because...

The focus should really be on LNT practices, sustainability improvements (CFI), and overall wilderness safety to help reduce the evermore frequent SAR operations.
(promotional text removed)
User avatar
pmeadco
Posts: 302
Joined: 6/21/2015
14ers:summits58 winter2 

Re: Successful Rescue on Quandary

Post by pmeadco » Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:59 pm

CHWitte wrote:Look on the bright side...
This sounds like the pyramid scheme of economic growth, and we all know that eventually all pyramid schemes fail and the people who got in last get screwed.
User avatar
highpilgrim
Posts: 3037
Joined: 3/14/2008
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits82 winter1 
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Successful Rescue on Quandary

Post by highpilgrim » Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:07 pm

LetsGoMets wrote:Trump skis in jeans.
Here's hoping he skis into a crevasse and that pence is licking distance behind him. That's his primary skill so it should work fine.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
Post Reply