Injured hiker air lifted off Maroon Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
robshock_12
14ers: 43 
13ers: 6
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Injured hiker air lifted off Maroon Peak

Post by robshock_12 »

AnnaG22 wrote:
robshock_12 wrote:...Seriously, a couple weeks ago I posted about my concerns with inexperienced/unprepared flat landers on these peaks...Let’s see how many Texans get sad about these comments...truth is there are way to many of them here, it’s pretty annoying. I’ve worked in the service industry in the mountains and most are rude and entitled.
Sweeping generalizations about people with minimal details about the accident= not a debate.

And seriously? I'm not taking the time to try to meet you to make good on my comment. Just observing that your comments about folks from outside Colorado indicate that you're a rude, entitled jerk.

You should also check your homophones :wink:
thanks =D>
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

robshock_12 wrote: My family is Apache and thrived long before you’re European ancestors came to f**k s**t up
As an admirer of Native Cultures, I was led to believe the Apaches lived primarily further south. Texas, New Mexico, Arizona. My understanding was that while they did travel into southern Colorado, I'm unaware of an established reservation or community in Colorado.

So, maybe you're a immigrant as well, although on a different timeline than most of us. :mrgreen:
Apachean_present.png
Apachean_present.png (117.29 KiB) Viewed 3009 times
Last edited by highpilgrim on Tue Aug 21, 2018 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
pgenelin
14ers: 40 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by pgenelin »

Phill the Thrill wrote:https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/l ... n-colorado

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery to Mr. Brewer.

Does anyone have any info about where the accident info, etc.?

This actually happened on Sunday, August 19th (article has the wrong date). We had summited Pyramid earlier that day and had just reached the crater lake trail junction when the helicopter started it's search. We watched SAR scope out Maroon peak and circle it a few times before going in. Once we reached Maroon lake, SAR was there and told us about the injured hiker.

All I have to say is I think we can all agree it's a very scary moment when you hear SAR going in on a peak near you. Praying for his recovery.
robshock_12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by robshock_12 »

highpilgrim wrote:
robshock_12 wrote: My family is Apache and thrived long before you’re European ancestors came to f**k s**t up
As an admirer of Native Cultures, I was led to believe the Apaches lived primarily further south. Texas, New Mexico, Arizona. My understanding was that while they did travel into southern Colorado, I'm unaware of an established reservation or community in Colorado.

So, maybe you're a immigrant as well, although on a different timeline than most of us. :mrgreen:

Apachean_present.png

You are right my origins are from northern New Mexico, but if you new anything else the Arkansas used to be the Colorado territory boundary. I’m not saying I am 100% native, not many people are anymore. Also Mexican and Spanish (yes European) but before you ridicule percentages of my blood your native culture admiration should also show you there were such things as forced arranged marriages
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

robshock_12 wrote:And though maybe not 50,000 years. My family is Apache and thrived long before you’re European ancestors came to f**k s**t up
your*

The dude can dig himself a hole, that's for sure.

Shoulda stopped commenting long ago. Shockman, you realize you're coming off as racist and sexist every time you type, right? Not to mention unintelligent.
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

robshock_12 wrote:Also Mexican and Spanish (yes European) but before you ridicule percentages of my blood your native culture admiration should also show you there were such things as forced arranged marriages
I have never ridiculed anyone for any such thing.

I've spent some time on the Mescalero Reservation and enjoyed my time there and the people I met.
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
robshock_12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by robshock_12 »

LURE wrote:
robshock_12 wrote:And though maybe not 50,000 years. My family is Apache and thrived long before you’re European ancestors came to f**k s**t up
your*

The dude can dig himself a hole, that's for sure.

Shoulda stopped commenting long ago. Shockman, you realize you're coming off as racist and sexist every time you type, right? Not to mention unintelligent.
Haha I just type sometimes my phone switches stuff I don’t proofread. But seriously do you troll every forum post??
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

LURE wrote:The dude can dig himself a hole, that's for sure.
But then what would entertain the rest of us? :lol: :roll: If we suggest he put down the shovel, it'll just get even more...whatever it is.

And hey, I learned something! Autocorrect can make you sexist and racist! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
LURE
14ers: 34 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Post by LURE »

robshock_12 wrote:Haha I just type sometimes my phone switches stuff I don’t proofread. But seriously do you troll every forum post??
Nah, not all. I mostly focus on folks like you.

Maybe I should start a poll in a new thread: is LURE a troll? Or just an emotionally stagnant poster who likes to push an occasional button?
AnnaG22 wrote:
LURE wrote:The dude can dig himself a hole, that's for sure.
But then what would entertain the rest of us? :lol: :roll: If we suggest he put down the shovel, it'll just get even more...whatever it is.
Good point! We can't take for granted the late summer fun of 14ers.com forums. Especially the annual non-native bash, which I've admittedly been a part of in times past.

Seriously tho, the traffic is out of control.
rperth
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rperth »

Not a native. Moved here less than 2 years ago. Work, own a house and pay taxes. My second summer hiking/climbing 14ers and I love it. Yes I am one of those who has contributed to the increased traffic on the mountains. I contribute to the car traffic around the Denver metro area. Sorry, not sorry.
robshock_12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by robshock_12 »

Thanks guys I got a few good laughs today too!!
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Came to the thread to talk about seeing a helicopter overhead when hiking Sunday, stayed for the obnoxious comments about people from out of state.

"Flatlanders" - people not living in the mountains, correct? Denver sure is "mountainous"... :roll:

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.