Injured hiker air lifted off Maroon Peak

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
timstich
14ers:summits11 

Re: Injured hiker air lifted off Maroon Peak

Post by timstich » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:57 pm

I would like to point out that the Facebook 14er group would never allow such a glorious thread as this one to exist. :mrgreen:
Shaller13
14ers:summits13 
13ers:summits2 

Post by Shaller13 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:52 am

timstich wrote:I would like to point out that the Facebook 14er group would never allow such a glorious thread as this one to exist. :mrgreen:
+1
"He who says he can and he who says he can't. Are both usually right.'
"The key is to not go up the keyhole route."
GO BIG RED
Shaller13
14ers:summits13 
13ers:summits2 

Post by Shaller13 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:01 am

Here I am, currently in Nebraska, with it being 5am. Waiting for my Cornhusker football to get back on(I'm going to the 1st game, you can connect the rest of the dots if you know what a typical Husker is like during the season) after a season of work in Co Springs. 9 14ers later with have summiting Longs on the 20th...

Screw it, i'm not here to tell stories but to rather enjoy this thread, carry on.

Also a note, I'm surprised people aren't bitching about Californians(even though the hiker is a Texan so obviously I see why this thread was going that direction) as much as they bitch about Texans. :-k
"He who says he can and he who says he can't. Are both usually right.'
"The key is to not go up the keyhole route."
GO BIG RED
painless4u2
14ers:summits58 
Trip Reports (8)

Post by painless4u2 » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:09 am

Shaller13 wrote:Also a note, I'm surprised people aren't bitching about Californians
How about an Okie-born, sometime California resident now living in Texas? Just haven't joined Camp Gladiator yet, but I do enjoy owning guns!... :mrgreen:
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
LURE
14ers:summits32 
13ers:summits11 

Post by LURE » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:49 am

Shaller13 wrote:Also a note, I'm surprised people aren't bitching about Californians(even though the hiker is a Texan so obviously I see why this thread was going that direction) as much as they bitch about Texans. :-k
Oh, the Californians bother me more. They just don't seem to be the ones falling on Colorado peaks so they don't really end up in the conversation as much in this context.

If I had to choose, I say open the flood gates for texans and build the wall for californians :mrgreen:

If HP ever had respect for me, I just lost it there...
spiderman
14ers:summits58 winter3 
13ers:summits26 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by spiderman » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:29 am

painless4u2 wrote:How about an Okie-born, sometime California resident now living in Texas? Just haven't joined Camp Gladiator yet, but I do enjoy owning guns!... :mrgreen:
Open the Wichita Mountains to the public and Okies would be fine. Haley Peak is one of the most difficult-to-access mountains on the EPIC list (http://www.peakbagger.com/list.aspx?lid=6510. We need to negotiate Reciprocal agreements between states. Getting access to our best mountains should require them to allow free access up their best mountains.
highpilgrim
14ers:summits58 
13ers:summits82 winter1 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim » Wed Aug 29, 2018 1:58 pm

LURE wrote:If I had to choose, I say open the flood gates for texans and build the wall for californians

I think wall building is a ridiculous proposition. We ALL immigrated here. And frankly, a wall won't stop anyone who has a lick of brains and some persistence.

It's really funny; I know some people who are farmers and they're up a creek right now because they can't get the help they need to be successful. Americans just don't want low-paying hard work. And now they can't get the "illegal" help that they have come to rely on.

But I won't hold your foolishness against you. You're young and entitled to learning your own painful lessons in equally painful fashion. :-D
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
LURE
14ers:summits32 
13ers:summits11 

Post by LURE » Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:38 pm

highpilgrim wrote:
LURE wrote:If I had to choose, I say open the flood gates for texans and build the wall for californians

I think wall building is a ridiculous proposition. We ALL immigrated here. And frankly, a wall won't stop anyone who has a lick of brains and some persistence.

It's really funny; I know some people who are farmers and they're up a creek right now because they can't get the help they need to be successful. Americans just don't want low-paying hard work. And now they can't get the "illegal" help that they have come to rely on.

But I won't hold your foolishness against you. You're young and entitled to learning your own painful lessons in equally painful fashion. :-D
I'm talking interstate immigration here :mrgreen:

I don't doubt you realize i'm jokin' anyway.
XterraRob
14ers:summits41 winter7 
13ers:summits12 winter1 
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob » Wed Aug 29, 2018 3:06 pm

If we annexed Mexico then we wouldn't have to worry about illegal immigrants from Mexico.

Who's going to stop us? Let's GO! :guns:
nunns
14ers:summits41 
13ers:summits4 

Post by nunns » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:11 pm

XterraRob wrote:If we annexed Mexico then we wouldn't have to worry about illegal immigrants from Mexico.

Who's going to stop us? Let's GO! :guns:
I seriously wonder about the option of having Mexico become the 51st state (or maybe 51st-55th states). Let the Mexican people vote yeah or nay to become a legal part of the USA. Largely solves the illegal immigration problem. Yes, I know it just pushes the problem further south, but it shrinks the border considerably and reduces the number of people who want to cross. Solves the problem of illegal immigrants not paying taxes. Puts most of our illegals on the tax rolls. Puts a big dent in our drug smuggling problem.

Is this a crazy idea? Maybe. Give some reasons why though.

And BTW, I apologize for helping this thread continue to detour.

Sean Nunn
Raytown MO
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6
Wentzl
14ers:summits58 winter22 
13ers:summits53 
Trip Reports (43)

Post by Wentzl » Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:30 pm

Why not annex Mexico? Here is a reason. Welfare would bankrupt the U.S. if there was an expectation that new citizens have a right to a standard of living equal to residents of the "original 50 states". Less of a burden if we take is as a territory like Puerto Rico.

https://www.telesurtv.net/english/news/ ... -0006.html

I think we should first take on the real threat. Asgardia. I say we should shoot it down before they become a dominant power. We all know SDI must have some legs by now despite being a bastard child disowned by the pentagon years ago.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/scie ... 59981.html

https://asgardia.space/en/
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV3-u0lwQQE

not necessarily stoned, but . . .
snglspdr
14ers: List not added

Post by snglspdr » Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:21 pm

So a hiker was air lifted off Maroon Peak?
WOW!!!
This should be titled????????