Torreys Peak Fatality

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Re: Torreys Peak Fatality

Post by SurfNTurf »

He was very well known within the Colorado Mountain Club community, and word was he was possibly training for the Matterhorn. Certainly a very experienced and knowledgeable climber who seemed like a great guy to boot. Condolences to his friends and loved ones. RIP.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper
Mickeys Grenade
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Mickeys Grenade »

Don was training for our trip to Europe. The plan was to climb the Matterhorn and Mount Blanc. We were also going to take a train and go visit the Eiger. Not to climb, but just to check it out. We always enjoyed watching the Eiger Sanction. Don likes the green hard hat that Dr. Hemlock wears in that movie and so do I. I was texting Don on Monday and I didn’t hear back from him. I thought it was odd. On Tuesday we found out that no one else had heard from him either. Search and rescue was called. His car was at the Stevens Gulch Trailhead. Brian (Don’s son) drove to the trailhead to see if his car was there. The next day Brian and I climbed Kelso Ridge together. We couldn’t find any sign of his Dad. We knew this was really bad. Don carries a spot beacon, but it was never activated. Don was a great friend and climbing parter. I have known him for 15 years. We did a lot of climbing and training together. I miss him so much. Just last Saturday, Don, Chuck, and I climbed the East Ridge of Bancroft together. I can’t believe he is gone so suddenly. He was scheduled to travel to Geneva and meet me at the airport today. I decided to still go on the trip. I’m in Chamonix now. I’m hoping to summit the Matterhorn and Mount Blanc to honor Don. It’s truly heartbreaking to lose a great friend. I think he would be happy that I still went on our trip. An unexpected tragic loss. Words cannot express how much Don’s family and friends will miss him.
Rest In Peace Don Chambliss. I love you and I will think of you often. Climb on! Jeff
polar
14ers: 2 
Trip Reports (1)

Post by polar »

Condolence to all Don's friends and families.
"Getting to the bottom, OPTIONAL. Getting to the top, MANDATORY!" - The Wisest Trail Sign
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Sorry to learn of this, Condolences to Don's family and anyone who knew him. Sounds like he was a a good guy.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

It sounds like Don touched many members of this community. Condolences to his friends and family.
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
I Man
14ers: 58  49 
13ers: 74 7
Trip Reports (30)

Post by I Man »

Sad news. I am not sure if I ever met Don, but I sure heard a lot about him. Jeff (Mickey's Grendae) and Don were close friends and had done a lot together. My thoughts are with Don's friends and family. Wishing Jeff a safe and enjoyable trip as he climbs in Europe in Don's honor/memory.
You can touch the void, just don't fall into it.

I fly a starship across the universe divide....and when I reach the other side...I'll find a place to rest my spirit if I can. Perhaps I may become a Mountain Man again.
ZNixon
14ers: 15  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ZNixon »

Mickeys Grenade wrote: Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:07 pm Don was training for our trip to Europe. The plan was to climb the Matterhorn and Mount Blanc. We were also going to take a train and go visit the Eiger. Not to climb, but just to check it out. We always enjoyed watching the Eiger Sanction. Don likes the green hard hat that Dr. Hemlock wears in that movie and so do I. I was texting Don on Monday and I didn’t hear back from him. I thought it was odd. On Tuesday we found out that no one else had heard from him either. Search and rescue was called. His car was at the Stevens Gulch Trailhead. Brian (Don’s son) drove to the trailhead to see if his car was there. The next day Brian and I climbed Kelso Ridge together. We couldn’t find any sign of his Dad. We knew this was really bad. Don carries a spot beacon, but it was never activated. Don was a great friend and climbing parter. I have known him for 15 years. We did a lot of climbing and training together. I miss him so much. Just last Saturday, Don, Chuck, and I climbed the East Ridge of Bancroft together. I can’t believe he is gone so suddenly. He was scheduled to travel to Geneva and meet me at the airport today. I decided to still go on the trip. I’m in Chamonix now. I’m hoping to summit the Matterhorn and Mount Blanc to honor Don. It’s truly heartbreaking to lose a great friend. I think he would be happy that I still went on our trip. An unexpected tragic loss. Words cannot express how much Don’s family and friends will miss him.
Rest In Peace Don Chambliss. I love you and I will think of you often. Climb on! Jeff
So sorry for the loss of such a close friend to you. I think it's awesome that you're still going to summit in his honor, I hope you bag them both! :)
"Those who cannot understand how to put their thoughts on ice should not enter into the heat of debate." -Nietzsche

@ZNixon101
http://zenixon.simplesite.com/
Mickeys Grenade
Trip Reports (7)

Post by Mickeys Grenade »

I was able to summit the Matterhorn and Mont Blanc! I know that Don (Blind Mule) would be proud! I’m very thankful that I was able to summit these beautiful peaks and honor the memory of my close friend. It was real tough to be there without him. I could feel him encouraging me to climb through the difficulties. It was bittersweet for sure. I still can’t believe he is gone. I realized that when Brian and I were looking for him on Kelso Ridge that I should still go to Europe and climb. The Matterhorn is magical and reminds me of why I started climbing in the first place. I miss Don so much, but his legacy lives on through me, his family, all of his friends, and through his unwavering love for the mountains! -Jeff
desertdog
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 273 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by desertdog »

Mickeys Grenade wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:36 pm I was able to summit the Matterhorn and Mont Blanc! I know that Don (Blind Mule) would be proud! I’m very thankful that I was able to summit these beautiful peaks and honor the memory of my close friend. It was real tough to be there without him. I could feel him encouraging me to climb through the difficulties. It was bittersweet for sure. I still can’t believe he is gone. I realized that when Brian and I were looking for him on Kelso Ridge that I should still go to Europe and climb. The Matterhorn is magical and reminds me of why I started climbing in the first place. I miss Don so much, but his legacy lives on through me, his family, all of his friends, and through his unwavering love for the mountains! -Jeff
What a great way to honor your friend! He sounded like a great guy. Very sorry for your loss. Best wishes Richard
The summit is a source of power. The long view gives one knowledge and time to prepare. The summit, by virtue of the dizzying exposure, leaves one vulnerable. A bit of confidence and a dash of humility is all we get for our work. Yet to share these moments with friends is to be human. C. Anker
bmcqueen
14ers: 58  52 
13ers: 356 15
Trip Reports (24)

Post by bmcqueen »

Very cool video done by Don's son, Brian Chambliss, showcasing Alpine Rescue Team's work.

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." --- Nasreddin

https://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Conte ... queen&t=14
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

bmcqueen wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 5:48 am Very cool video done by Don's son, Brian Chambliss, showcasing Alpine Rescue Team's work.
Wow, that's a powerful video - thanks for sharing!
Teresa Gergen
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Teresa Gergen »

Tomorrow is Colorado Gives Day, where your donation will have a percentage of matching funds added. You can donate to Alpine Rescue Team here:
https://www.coloradogives.org/alpinerescue/overview