Missing Hiker - Michael Blair

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Dan_Suitor
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 90
Trip Reports (3)

Missing Hiker - Michael Blair

Post by Dan_Suitor »

Century Bound, eventually.
SurfNTurf
14ers: 58  28 
13ers: 127 7
Trip Reports (48)

Re: Missing Hiker - Michael Blair

Post by SurfNTurf »

If he's been missing since February 2, sadly, the odds of a positive outcome are slim. Still hoping for the best and keeping all those who know him in my thoughts.

The photo in the second article shows he's an ice climber, and Alma is the nearest town to Lincoln Falls. The surrounding slopes are prone to avalanche -- the approach trail was covered by a slide toward the end of last season. People also free solo the most classic route at Lincoln Falls, Scottish Gully, all the time. That's actually what he's climbing in the selfie; you can see his belayer at the anchor between the first and second pitches. Some of the updates in the comment section also say he brought his splitboard and avy float bag and spent a lot of time around Pennsylvania Mountain.

Please, please, please let someone know where you're going whenever you enter the backcountry, especially solo in winter.
“There are two kinds of climbers: those who climb because their heart sings when they’re in the mountains, and all the rest.” - Alex Lowe

"There have been joys too great to describe in words, and there have been griefs upon which I cannot dare to dwell; and with those in mind I say, 'Climb if you will, but remember that courage and strength are nought without prudence, and that a momentary negligence may destroy the happiness of a lifetime. Do nothing in haste, look well to each step, and from the beginning think what may be the end.'" - Edward Whymper