Base Jumper on Mt Evans

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
dpage
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 28 3
Trip Reports (1)

Base Jumper on Mt Evans

Post by dpage »

https://www.9news.com/mobile/article/ne ... 7c99691089

Limited details other than that she was jumping from the Black Wall area and her shute didn't open all the way. Hopefully she survives the fall.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Base Jumper on Mt Evans

Post by OldTrad »

I’m no base jumper but have known many, some of whom were very good friends and climbing partners, and I have climbed the Black Wall twice. It really is not all that big, and based on the sorts of things my jumper buddies used to say I’d wager there is very little margin for correcting an issue during a jump there. YIKES, I certainly hope she survives. :wft:

I was climbing the Rostrum once when someone jumped and went right past us - we were maybe one pitch below the top. That thing is about 800’ tall, with a talus slope from the bottom down to the Merced river below. I think the guy’s chute deployed maybe 200 or 300’ ft above the foot of of the formation, but the elevation is only about 3,000 ft above sea level so the air is nice and dense. I would guess the tallest section of the Black Wall is about that height, though chutes, gear, technique, etc may be way better now than back then. :-SS

Edit: also makes me wonder which big CO alpine walls have been jumped. E. Face of Longs? NE face of Blanca? Some of the other walls in RMNP?