Bells Traverse fatality Nov 6,2020

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Bells Traverse fatality Nov 6,2020

Post by AnnaG22 »

Aspen Times just published this article. Name and personal info not yet released. Thoughts go out to the climber's family.

https://www.aspentimes.com/news/climber ... ear-aspen/
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
Grover
14ers: 58  10  3 
13ers: 143 9
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Bells Traverse fatality Nov 6,2020

Post by Grover »

Very unfortunate news. I saw and heard the helicopter come in this afternoon from where I live on Red Mountain, and thought something must have happened. R.I.P.
-Grover
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Ugh.

Mega dislike.
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

Sad to hear of another death in the mountains this year. RIP!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Terrible news, thoughts and prayers go out to their family and friends
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

More info from MRA press release on FB.

"Today at approximately 12:30PM the Pitkin County Regional Emergency Dispatch Center received a call from a pair of climbers on the summit of North Maroon Peak reporting that they had just witnessed a solo male climber fall from the ridgeline while traversing between South Maroon Peak and North Maroon Peak. The climber was reported to have fallen approximately 500-1000 feet down a narrow gully to the Southeast of the summit of North Maroon Peak. The fallen climber was later identified as a 43 year old male from Niwot, Colorado...

...At around 2:45 PM, the MRA rescue team flying in the HAATS helicopter spotted the fallen climber. At approximately 2:54 PM, MRA rescuers were lowered by a long line from the HAATS helicopter to the fallen climber and confirmed that he was deceased. Based on the injuries the climber had sustained, the fall was not survivable. A short time later, the MRA rescuers and the deceased climber were hoisted into the HAATS helicopter and flown to the Aspen Pitkin County Airport. The deceased climber was then turned over to a Pitkin County Deputy Coroner."
mtngoatwithstyle
14ers: 19 
13ers: 73 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtngoatwithstyle »

My deepest condolences to his/her fellow climbers that were with him at the time and beloved ones.
Never,never give up!.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

R.I.P.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
KingHenryJames3rd
14ers: 57  2 
13ers: 22 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by KingHenryJames3rd »

Very very sad may he RIP. My condolences to his friends and family. My thoughts are also with the party that witnessed the fall. That's gotta be tough to deal with watching something like that happen.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

slondres wrote: Sat Nov 07, 2020 11:13 am My thoughts are also with the party that witnessed the fall. That's gotta be tough to deal with watching something like that happen.
i thought of that too. prayers for those who lost a loved one, as well as for the witnesses.
jasayrevt
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 159 4
Trip Reports (26)

Post by jasayrevt »

Positive prayers and sincerest sentiments regarding this unfortunate loss. Best to all those who knew the fallen climber. I kindly hope you find peaceful solace
"A mind that is stretched by new experiences can never revert to old dimensions."

"Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live life as you have imagined."

"Motivate others towards attaining highest aspirations."
jemthebrewer
Trip Reports (0)

Post by jemthebrewer »

I sadly know the identity of the climber. He was both a peer in my profession and a good friend. He had never summited Long's Peak before, I had 7 times so I lead the expedition up there on October 1 of this year. Outstanding conditions and good times. You will be missed my friend. He is survived by his wife and 3 kids. He was a competent person, very smart, mindful and aware of the situation at all times. I can only imagine it was one of those freak things in the infamous looseness of the Bells.

I was devastated by this news earlier today.