Elbert S&R last night

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
alpinenut
14ers: 53  4  3 
13ers: 21 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Elbert S&R last night

Post by alpinenut »

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... oser=false

I think we saw them in the parking lot at Noon. We tried to warm them about them about the coming storm. We told them it took us 7 hrs to go up and down. We gave them hand warmers. Any suggestions on what else we could/should have done?
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

Last edited by Squirrellysquirrel on Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
Squirrellysquirrel
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Squirrellysquirrel »

"The successful warrior is the average man with laser-like focus." ~ Bruce Lee
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

alpinenut wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:00 am https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... oser=false

I think we saw them in the parking lot at Noon. We tried to warm them about them about the coming storm. We told them it took us 7 hrs to go up and down. We gave them hand warmers. Any suggestions on what else we could/should have done?
That's about all that you could have done.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
Lioness
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lioness »

Things always go from bad to worse.

"One subject had lost a shoe and had to descend deep snowy trail in 20° weather for several hours without it."
Will_E
14ers: 58  58 
13ers: 210 37
Trip Reports (21)

Post by Will_E »

Happy endings are the best!
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Post by Tim A »

I struggle to not judge when people head out under forecasts like this weekend’s. Glad they’re safe and picked a ‘safeish’ peak to try storm-hiking on, but unless you’re intentionally training for whiteout navigation in anticipation of an attempt on an unclimbed alpine route on a Karakoram 6000er, perhaps one should stay out of the backcountry when the storms come in.

I remember a similar incident on Quandary’s east ridge a few years ago. A totally avoidable S&R response for someone who wanted to try out their grit in winter storm conditions.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Glad this had a more positive ending than what I was fearing reading the subject line.

Alpinenut, so they were starting out at noon from the TH?

Like Scott said, that's about all you can do. This brings up the oft-talked about point of what do you say to people when you feel in your gut a better decision could be had. I've run into folks more than once doing something where I bit my tongue. Usually its some variant of the same thing, not being prepared one way or another.
No, it's not my business, best I've found was to casually make such folks aware of the risks of the situation and gauge their feedback; If they are genuinely, innocently naïve maybe that helps them make a more informed decision and they change their mind. In some cases, as I'm sure many here have experienced, people get belligerent and defensive.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

alpinenut wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:00 am https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... oser=false

Give them a better judgement transplant?

Too bad SAR had to spend all that time and effort saving people from bad decisions. I'm glad nobody was injured.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Reading editions of "Accidents in North American Mountaineering" should be required reading for anyone climbing mountains
HikesInGeologicTime
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 60 2 11
Trip Reports (37)

Post by HikesInGeologicTime »

As others have alluded to, I’d say you did all that could reasonably be expected of you in the situation.

It’s been my experience that totally losing your cool and yelling every synonym for the word “idiot” that you can come up with on the spur of the moment at someone makes you a raging jackass AND is of no use in preventing their planned actions (...granted, my sample size for that particular spontaneous experiment consisted solely of my now-ex-boyfriend...), and physically restraining them is even worse on multiple levels, so unless they’re in obvious and immediate danger (like, perhaps, from a rock plunging toward them that they can’t see/react to quickly enough), there’s usually not much you can do for someone besides giving them your honest assessment, letting them make their own mistakes, and hopefully living long enough to learn from them.
"I'm not selling drugs, dude. Drugs sell themselves. I'm selling stoke!"
- Guy at the table next to mine at Alta's Slopeside Cafe, in what I can't help but selfishly hope were (will be?) his verbatim words to the arresting officer(s)
alpinenut
14ers: 53  4  3 
13ers: 21 2 2
Trip Reports (3)

Post by alpinenut »

We don’t know for sure if it was the same people, but yes we did talk to a group of two 20ish yr old boys leaving the trailhead about noon. They did mention it was their first 14er attempt.