Elbert S&R last night

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Re: Elbert S&R last night

Post by daway8 »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:32 am
bluegrassclimber wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:29 am
Carl_Healy wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:31 am Wondering if they tried GPS on their phone at all?

Don't even need a GPX track, if they had cell coverage the standard route shows up in Google Maps by default...
Your brain thinks differently in life or death scenarios, and without training/experience you may not remember things that are “automatic” under normal scenarios. Even experienced people encounter this phenomena. We read all the time about “target fixation” in airline accidents.

It’s possible they forgot - or never checked - which mapping apps have the trail on them. Or, one of the reports said they were on steep terrain aroun 12,800. Maybe they checked once it was clear the terrain was rugged, and then couldn’t find a route back to the trail. And of course, it’s possible that they only took guidance from social media, which makes Elbert seem like a walk up even to the uninitiated.

I’m glad the SAR teams successfully rescued the hikers.
Maps won’t work without cell service. Glad they made it out alive and hats off to S&R
Works fine without cell service - I use it all the time for getting to/from trailheads outside the range of cell service, but for full functionality you have to download the maps for offline access, which these guys almost certainly wouldn't have thought of (I got burned years ago relying on Google to get to the trailhead without realizing the need to download the maps for offline access).

I always get a kick out of the tourists who see me pull out my phone and open GAIA and say "that won't work out here, there's no cell service." I smile, show them the map and our current position and inform them about the invention of satellites.
Barnold41
14ers: 15 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Barnold41 »

It's unfortunate that SAR has to deal with situations like this, although that is part of the job... another negative of having more people in the mountains who probably wouldn't have been going before. I just don't understand the mentality of not checking forecasts, or going even when the forecast says cold and snow, if you aren't prepared for something like that. I know that certain people need to make those mistakes to learn from them, but to a point. It's November in Colorado, not July. Some friends and I were up on Snowmass Saturday when the storm rolled in about 4 hours earlier than forecasted, and luckily we were prepared for a windy/snowy day (it still made for a long day...).
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:32 am Maps won’t work without cell service.
Uhhh... yes Maps *will* work without mobile service. If you know what you're doing. :mrgreen:
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

Reminds me of a hike I did in New Hampshire when I was about 20, hiked up a peak with a ton of snow sneakers and shorts in May, but the trail was packed so we had no problem hiking up, then we lost the trail on the way down, started post holing up to our waists, found a river to hike down and walked down this river, lost a shoe, but 4 hours later we made it back to the trailhead. Luckily now I know better.
rpdawes
14ers: 18  1 
13ers: 41 2
Trip Reports (7)

Post by rpdawes »

If you are a full-time hiker, get a Garmin InReach Explorer! It's worth the investment!
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:03 pm Nope, you cannot use topo maps without pre-downloading them. You guys are wrong in what I am saying, focus more on the accident and less on the *I told you so*

or just try hiking more

(Guarantee these guys didn't have GAIA, Strava, or anything like that prior to leaving)
Nobody said topo maps. They said google maps. And yes it works without cell service, as long as you've looked at that area fairly recently when you were in cell service. It saves the map data.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

One of the 10 essentials should be a gpx track on your phone.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:03 pm Nope, you cannot use topo maps without pre-downloading them.
I looked back and you didn't have this caveat stated anywhere... :roll:
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

CaptCO wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:20 pm
SkaredShtles wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:12 pm
CaptCO wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 4:03 pm Nope, you cannot use topo maps without pre-downloading them.
I looked back and you didn't have this caveat stated anywhere... :roll:
Your life sucks old man. Im done replying to your nonsense :) lonely old boy..
Ahhhh... nice try, Junior. :mrgreen:
Herbert
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Herbert »

This is a wonderful outcome considering the circumstances. I am sincerely happy for the rescued hikers, and I am in awe of SAR as I always am in these situations. However, I would not be opposed to presenting the hikers with a bill for the rescue. I think a bill like that would help to deter conduct which could be deemed reckless or grossly negligent, and might save lives in the long run. Starting a 14er at noon in sneakers and blue jeans with a snow storm blowing in, and apparently without a map, seems to be pushing the envelope.
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

Herbert wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:18 pm This is a wonderful outcome considering the circumstances. I am sincerely happy for the rescued hikers, and I am in awe of SAR as I always am in these situations. However, I would not be opposed to presenting the hikers with a bill for the rescue. I think a bill like that would help to deter conduct which could be deemed reckless or grossly negligent, and might save lives in the long run. Starting a 14er at noon in sneakers and blue jeans with a snow storm blowing in, and apparently without a map, seems to be pushing the envelope.
As much as you’d like to see them pay, it sets a bad precedent. Maybe if they knew they had a big bill coming they might not have called and tried to get out on their own, ending in disaster. From what I have heard SAR is typically pretty adamant about not sending a bill for that very reason.
Herbert
14ers: 27 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Herbert »

douglas wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 10:10 pm
As much as you’d like to see them pay, it sets a bad precedent. Maybe if they knew they had a big bill coming they might not have called and tried to get out on their own, ending in disaster. From what I have heard SAR is typically pretty adamant about not sending a bill for that very reason.
That's a valid point. There are pros and cons. Here is an article that does a pretty good job of framing the debate.
http://content.time.com/time/nation/art ... 21,00.html