"near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Re: "near-dead" 14er hiker recovers

Post by disentangled »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am If ya'll don't contribute to conditions reports or hiking info, then keep the f***ing politics out of the forum. weird old men
cause you've ALWAYS ONLY contributed hiking info and conditions reports, eh? and that's "yes, sir, Miss Shelly" to you. :)
Dave B
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Dave B »

shelly+ wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:00 am
Dave B wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am
nunns wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:45 am I certainly agree with what you are saying, especially your first statement. But there are plenty of people out there IN THE SCIENCE COMMUNITY that would tell you that if science can't measure something then it doesn't really exist.
Wut?

I'm "in the science community" and have never, ever, heard anyone say anything even remotely suggestive of this.
i took it that you were arguing that measurement validates the truths of science (and if something exists) when you said this in our previous discussion on science:

"All natural science fields rely on either statistical correlations - linear or not - or process-based models that represent the underlying physics in a structured way. Randomness contributes to, but does not drive, processes and often times what we consider "random" is due to poor understanding of underlying driving factors, or an inability to measure them."
Random != "doesn't exist"
Make wilderness less accessible.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am If ya'll don't contribute to conditions reports or hiking info, then keep the f***ing politics out of the forum. weird old men
It was 27 degrees in central NJ this morning. I think I'm gunna wait till tomorrow to crush 35 miles hilly loop, first time in bib tights this fall. Wanna come?
highpilgrim
14ers: 58 
13ers: 84 1
Trip Reports (1)

Post by highpilgrim »

Brian Thomas wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:12 am
Bill is still allowing political troll posts on what was allegedly a website about mountains?
Hey there, bthom! You still out there sucking sustenance off Uncle Sam's largesse and mostly not hiking? Good for you...

You could probably ask Bill to set you up as moderator since you have so much time on your hands with so little to do. Or you could actually hike, with the mountains in your backyard and all. :mrgreen:
Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
Hunter S Thompson

Walk away from the droning and leave the hive behind.
Dick Derkase
hellmanm
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

Maybe those of you ignorant enough to question Darwinian evolution without the training or knowledge to do so should stick to the hills. If you're not ready to publish your findings in a reputable academic journal (and, God forbid, actually cite some decent sources when you make a claim that grand), I don't want to hear it on a climbing forum. Quite frankly, this entire thread is disrespectful. The original post was about someone who almost died in the mountains, and the jerks who stood on their anti-scientific high horses should have considered the topic of the thread before injecting their beliefs into conversation.
cedica
Trip Reports (0)

Post by cedica »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:40 am Jerseys a shithole anyways
That's what the Prez would say too. At least it smells a bit better than Florida. And we can be hillier than thou.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

Dave B wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:10 am
shelly+ wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:00 am
Dave B wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:51 am

Wut?

I'm "in the science community" and have never, ever, heard anyone say anything even remotely suggestive of this.
i took it that you were arguing that measurement validates the truths of science (and if something exists) when you said this in our previous discussion on science:

"All natural science fields rely on either statistical correlations - linear or not - or process-based models that represent the underlying physics in a structured way. Randomness contributes to, but does not drive, processes and often times what we consider "random" is due to poor understanding of underlying driving factors, or an inability to measure them."
Random != "doesn't exist"
i took your point to be that: randomness cannot be measured; and, if it cannot be measured, it doesn't exist as a valid explanation.

of course, you'll tell me that is incorrect or illogical or whatever. that's fine. it's how i interpreted your meaning. nevertheless..... i'm genuinely curious to understand.
Last edited by disentangled on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
disentangled
Trip Reports (0)

Post by disentangled »

CaptCO wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:06 am
shelly+ wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:04 am
cause you've ALWAYS ONLY contributed hiking info and conditions reports, eh? and that's "yes, sir, Miss Shelly" to you. :)
I actually identify as a pencil nowadays
lol i identify as a unicorn. since they don't exist. or are random. or something.
Vincopotamus
14ers: 36  3  3 
13ers: 10 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Vincopotamus »

I just imagined the unlikely but possible scenario of the victim of this incident stumbling across this thread, curious to see what the Colorado mountaineering community makes of his experience, and he finds this discussion.

::sensible chuckle::
The only time I lower the bar is après
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

hellmanm wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:53 am Maybe those of you ignorant enough to question Darwinian evolution without the training or knowledge to do so should stick to the hills.
So...to question something is ignorant? I am both religious and scientific, and I question everything. Those who don't question anything are the least intelligent of all.
hellmanm
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Post by hellmanm »

There's a reason I put the qualifier of "without the training or knowledge to do so". Asking questions is the mark of a critical thinker, but there can be stupid questions.
nunns
14ers: 43 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nunns »

hellmanm wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:37 am There's a reason I put the qualifier of "without the training or knowledge to do so". Asking questions is the mark of a critical thinker, but there can be stupid questions.
I am glad that I don't fit your criteria, since I have a degree in biology, a master's degree in science education, and have read literally thousands of pages of information on both sides of the evolution/intelligent design debate.

I will say that one of the ways that people attempt to silence naysayers is by calling them "stupid".

Sean Nunn
"Thy righteousness is like the great mountains." --Psalms 36:6