Mt Whitney fatality early November

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Rollie Free
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Mt Whitney fatality early November

Post by Rollie Free »

SephTR wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:05 am
Scott P wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:29 pm
In this case at least, it sounds like she went for a run and slipped on the ice near the trailhead. That could happen to anyone. She was well below timberline and not making a summit attempt. She then crawled under a log to wait for help. She survived two days alone and injured before she succumbed.

Anyway, RIP Cassandra.
maybe she should have brought some more hand warmers.

Ok
Sephtr,
I know you are amusing yourself but take stock in this. I know we are detached because it comes to us as a story but it is a real event. Someone suffered mightily and left behind loved ones that are hurting very much.
Your insensitive and mean spirited comments may also be triggering feelings others on this forum have who've been through similar experiences. You may feel you are shooting bullets outwardly but you are also poisoning your own psyche and soul. This feeds something inside of you that gives temporal pleasure but will lead to misery long term. Dont engage in it for your own sake. When it's all over do you really want this on your resume? Think about it, repent, then ask for forgiveness.
"Quicker than I can tell it, my hands failed to hold, my feet slipped, and down I went with almost an arrow’s rapidity. An eternity of thought, of life, of death, wife, and home concentrated on my mind in those two seconds. Fortunately for me, I threw my right arm around a projecting boulder which stood above the icy plain some two or three feet." Rev. Elijah Lamb
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Trotter »

In this case at least, it sounds like she went for a run and slipped on the ice near the trailhead. That could happen to anyone. She was well below timberline and not making a summit attempt. She then crawled under a log to wait for help. She survived two days alone and injured before she succumbed.

Anyway, RIP Cassandra.
And hes clearly a troll. Ignore him
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Trotter wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:49 pm

Anyway, RIP Cassandra.
And karma has a way of coming back around.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
mtnkub
14ers: 58  1  7 
13ers: 116 4 4
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtnkub »

Wildernessjane wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:48 pm
Trotter wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 3:49 pm

And karma has a way of coming back around.
And probably karma already did come back around.
(At least i wouldn't want to be in a mindset to be writing something like that).
mtn_nut
14ers: 58  14 
13ers: 35 1
Trip Reports (5)

Post by mtn_nut »

SephTR wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:46 pm Oh nothing big. Just the white mountain peak forteener of the eastern Sierra.
You mean the only California 14ers that requires ZERO technical skills and people mountain bike up the maintenance road to the summit because it's so easy...

As its already been pointed out, its not actually part of the Sierras either.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

RIP Cassandra.

But...I sure wish we could get better info from the media about climbing accidents. #-o Even the post on the Mt Whitney forum appears to be speculation, not facts about this incident.

SephTR wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:46 pm Oh nothing big. Just the white mountain peak forteener of the eastern Sierra.
Don't forget to log it on LOJ! https://listsofjohn.com/m/SephTR
SephTR
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SephTR »

Candace66 wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 6:00 pm RIP Cassandra.

But...I sure wish we could get better info from the media about climbing accidents. #-o Even the post on the Mt Whitney forum appears to be speculation, not facts about this incident.

Don't forget to log it on LOJ! https://listsofjohn.com/m/SephTR
What is loj?
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:32 am A website that helps people feel relevant in a small community I think
I am certainly not relevant, but LOJ is a nice easy way for me to keep track of my summits for myself.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:43 am Am I the only one who thinks LoJ is more outdated than Windows 98’
Probably.

There is no other site like it. I contains ever named peak and ranked peak in the US, plus every peak mentioned in a guidebook. These are complete with maps, land ownership status, etc.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Post by IntrepidXJ »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:43 am
IntrepidXJ wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:40 am
CaptCO wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 6:32 am A website that helps people feel relevant in a small community I think
I am certainly not relevant, but LOJ is a nice easy way for me to keep track of my summits for myself.
Am I the only one who thinks LoJ is more outdated than Windows 98’
I like the simplicity of the site. And even though it's simple, it's a great resource that contains a lot of useful info.
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

SephTR wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:54 am What is loj?
The site you made an account on. :lol: To help you out, here's the link again: https://listsofjohn.com/m/SephTR
Everyone likes to feel relevant! :-D https://listsofjohn.com/m/CaptCo
Jon Frohlich
14ers: 58 
13ers: 162 3
Trip Reports (29)

Post by Jon Frohlich »

IntrepidXJ wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:55 am
CaptCO wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:43 am Am I the only one who thinks LoJ is more outdated than Windows 98’
I like the simplicity of the site. And even though it's simple, it's a great resource that contains a lot of useful info.
I'm glad he refuses to make it pretty and modern. The simplicity of it is great. It does what it needs to do.

I know some people hate it but it works for me and it's invaluable. It's also fast on a phone with questionable data service.