Mt Whitney fatality early November

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
IntrepidXJ
14ers: 34 
13ers: 63
Trip Reports (90)

Re: Mt Whitney fatality early November

Post by IntrepidXJ »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:30 pm I’m not trying to take anything away from the LoJ creator, just stating my opinion. Sorry if it pisses a few of you off. Guess I’m not a peak bagger
Why do you assume that just because people are sharing their reasons for liking the site that they are 'pissed off'?
Randy Langstraat | ADVENTR.co
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

I'm not sure what changes could be made to LoJ. It is a place to track your US ascents (unless you want to track someone elses). I can't think of anything I'd add to it.

I would assume that anyone who starts logging hundreds or thousands of ascents appreciates a site where they can track them and remember the dates. I know I sure do. Before the site existed, it was a lot more work to try and track your ascents, see which peaks are ranked, etc. It gets harder to remember when at what you climbed as time goes on.

There are a lot of side benefits too. When I want to find a photo I took of something like say Quartzite Peak in Wyoming, I can open up LoJ, check what date I climbed it and know what folder to look in of my hundreds and thousands of photographs.

Keep in mind that a lot of us have climbed many, many more times the peaks that you have and it's nice to have a record all in one place. I wish LoJ existed when I started as I can't remember a lot of dates that I climbed peaks .
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:30 pmTo each their own, I've realized I'm doing more than most people lately...
CaptCO wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:30 pmGuess I’m not a peak bagger
That's rich coming from you.
CaptCO wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:30 pmjust stating my opinion
You should take the advice given in your own signature block.
kimo
14ers: 32  6 
13ers: 116 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kimo »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:38 pm You should f**k off and mind your own business 8) oh wait that’d make me a politically incorrect hypocrite.. not allowed in this day and age. Way to take away from a thread because you feel your senseless opinion is needed
I'm not the one "taking away" from this thread. You did.
12ersRule
14ers: 58 
13ers: 157
Trip Reports (4)

Post by 12ersRule »

CaptCO wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:38 pm You should f**k off and mind your own business 8) oh wait that’d make me a politically incorrect hypocrite.. not allowed in this day and age. Way to take away from a thread because you feel your senseless opinion is needed
If this place is really 'Like A Soap Opera' like d_baker has stated, then you shouldn't be here. You already said f*ck off to the whole enterprise. Pretty lame to renege on that. You can't just fake your own death. What kind of Soap Opera twist is that?
Last edited by 12ersRule on Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bale
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Bale »

kimo wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:44 pm
I'm not the one "taking away" from this thread. You did.
Kimo, pay no mind to the resident dipsh!t, he tries to overrun every single thread.
The earth, like the sun, like the air, belongs to everyone - and to no one. - Edward Abbey
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

Scott P wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:54 am
CaptCO wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:43 am Am I the only one who thinks LoJ is more outdated than Windows 98’
Probably.

There is no other site like it. I contains ever named peak and ranked peak in the US, plus every peak mentioned in a guidebook. These are complete with maps, land ownership status, etc.
Interestingly, I suspect LOJ appeals to both the “List-Lover” and “Mountain Hipster” alike (more on this: https://www.foxintheforest.net/which-mo ... r-are-you/). Not only is it a great way to keep track of every obscure peak you’ve ever done, it has some great features for identifying and locating all the ranked peaks in a given area and has info on peaks almost no one has heard of. And before Candace66 pulls up my LOJ profile, it’s going to look like I falsified my records and climbed a ridiculous number of peaks in one or two days because I didn’t know what I was doing. I promise, I’ll fix this. You’ve reminded me though CaptCO, I do need to update my LOJ list.
Last edited by Wildernessjane on Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

12ersRule wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:03 pm
If this place is really 'Like A Soap Opera' like d_baker has stated, then you shouldn't be here. You already said f*ck off to the whole enterprise. Pretty lame to renege on that. You can't just fake your own death. What kind of Soap Opera twist is that?
12ersRule, that was like 10+ years ago.
We're now in the reality tv stardom. Or tiktok...I really don't know anymore.
The Capt is his own special star on the boulevard.
SephTR
14ers: 12 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SephTR »

Candace66 wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:13 am
SephTR wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 12:54 am What is loj?
The site you made an account on. :lol: To help you out, here's the link again: https://listsofjohn.com/m/SephTR

Everyone likes to feel relevant! :-D https://listsofjohn.com/m/CaptCo
That is a fake.
nmjameswilson
14ers: 58 
13ers: 15
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nmjameswilson »

It is amazing how a post about a woman dying has become this ... there are some real class acts in this group.
docinco
14ers: 50 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by docinco »

SephTR wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:14 pmNoob
"the requested user does not exist". shades of curly bill broscious!
Salient
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Salient »

docinco wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:17 am
SephTR wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:14 pmNoob
"the requested user does not exist". shades of curly bill broscious!
Well it's fair. He was some disrespectful kid who called someone a "noob" for literally dying as it seems in this thread. So, yeah, his ban is probably warranted.
Be the best you that you can be.