Avalanche San Juans- The Nose

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Avalanche San Juans- The Nose

Post by SkaredShtles »

Carl_Healy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:21 pm San Juan County Office of Emergency Management also had a recent Facebook Post/Press Release.

Very sad.

The photos contained within are particularly distressing. Burial in 20+ ft of snow I can't imagine the effort it took the SAR teams to dig that tunnel into the snow for recovery.
The photo of the SAR team member cutting the snow with a chainsaw was telling... :(
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Carl_Healy »

SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:39 am
Carl_Healy wrote: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:21 pm San Juan County Office of Emergency Management also had a recent Facebook Post/Press Release.

Very sad.

The photos contained within are particularly distressing. Burial in 20+ ft of snow I can't imagine the effort it took the SAR teams to dig that tunnel into the snow for recovery.
The photo of the SAR team member cutting the snow with a chainsaw was telling... :(
I just took AIARE I and thought that would help in the chance myself or my companions were to be buried, but those photos are a bit eye opening.
Even if there were 5 companions carrying probes and shovels I don't think they'd be able to get to anyone buried that deep in time to save them...
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Carl_Healy wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:06 pm I just took AIARE I and thought that would help in the chance myself or my companions were to be buried, but those photos are a bit eye opening.
Even if there were 5 companions carrying probes and shovels I don't think they'd be able to get to anyone buried that deep in time to save them...
Yeah - they don't make probes that long. You'd have to dig WAY down to even get to the point that you *could* probe. :shock:

It's definitely humbling and scary...
Buckie06
14ers: 56  3  4 
13ers: 18 1 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Buckie06 »

the statistics of a live rescue are about 4% when buried by snow 2 meters or more (6.5 feet). I was really curious from the prelim reports why the 3 skiers not caught in the slide were only able to recover one person, but if the other three were buried 20' deep then that explains it. It'll be interesting to see the full report when it is finished.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

Aaand another avy in East Vail just today.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/one-repo ... east-vail/

++vibes
curt86iroc
14ers: 14 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by curt86iroc »

SkaredShtles wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:50 pm Aaand another avy in East Vail just today.

https://www.vaildaily.com/news/one-repo ... east-vail/

++vibes
this is so unfortunate.
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

Does an avalanche due to weak snowpack make a slope safer? Though not practical, one solution to address CO weak snowpack is to safely trigger massive avalanches everywhere? That way, future snow can accumulate on top of stable layers? Just asking out of intellectual curiosity.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

ker0uac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:23 pm Does an avalanche due to weak snowpack make a slope safer? Though not practical, one solution to address CO weak snowpack is to safely trigger massive avalanches everywhere? That way, future snow can accumulate on top of stable layers? Just asking out of intellectual curiosity.
we could also try nuking hurricanes
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

but yes, ski resorts use explosives in targeted areas to make them slide
rijaca
14ers: 58  4 
13ers: 244 1 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by rijaca »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:26 pm but yes, ski resorts use explosives in targeted areas to make them slide
So does CDOT.
"A couple more shots of whiskey,
the women 'round here start looking good"
ker0uac
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ker0uac »

cottonmountaineering wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:26 pm but yes, ski resorts use explosives in targeted areas to make them slide
Right, but I was wondering if it would help our current scenario, since it results from multiple deep weak layers dating back to late Fall.
Those who travel to mountain-tops are half in love with themselves and half in love with oblivion
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

ker0uac wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:33 pm
Right, but I was wondering if it would help our current scenario, since it results from multiple deep weak layers dating back to late Fall.
Education & avoidance is better.
Are you suggesting blasting all BC areas in the state!? That's a lot of dynamite, or whatever explosive they use.