Fatality on Mt. Russell

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Fatality on Mt. Russell

Post by 14erFred »

One climber killed and one injured on Memorial Day on the summit ridge of Mount Russell (14,094 ft.), 0.8-mile north on Mount Whitney...
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hi ... a-n1269294
May he rest in peace.
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
719BR
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Fatality on Mt. Russell

Post by 719BR »

there are definitely some you-fall-you-lose sections on russell. but what a fun and amazing route.

condolences to the family.
14erFred
14ers: 51 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by 14erFred »

I found following comment posted by Jonathan C (on 06/06/21 06:57 PM) on http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... eposts/7/1 --
Re: Mt Russell fatality
Someone left this comment on a Facebook post:
All of them are my friends. Finally some truths were revealed by his partners: The lady survived after surgery and texted me: "--- news reported this incorrectly. It’s [the victim] trying to help me, not the other way around. [the victim] would be alive if I didn’t join the trip." She accepted an interview from another reporter to correct the news. .. also got text from the third patner: "When [the lady] down climbed from a big boulder, [the victim] asked her to step on his shoulder. Then both of them fell together. Unfortunately [the victim] got more momentum and fall into open space."
"Live as on a mountain." -- Marcus Aurelius
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

14erFred wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:25 pm I found following comment posted by Jonathan C (on 06/06/21 06:57 PM) on http://www.whitneyzone.com/wz/ubbthread ... eposts/7/1 --
Re: Mt Russell fatality
Someone left this comment on a Facebook post:
All of them are my friends. Finally some truths were revealed by his partners: The lady survived after surgery and texted me: "--- news reported this incorrectly. It’s [the victim] trying to help me, not the other way around. [the victim] would be alive if I didn’t join the trip." She accepted an interview from another reporter to correct the news. .. also got text from the third patner: "When [the lady] down climbed from a big boulder, [the victim] asked her to step on his shoulder. Then both of them fell together. Unfortunately [the victim] got more momentum and fall into open space."
Thanks for sharing this 14erFred (best name ever BTW. Sorry headsizeburrito). I’d like to add, especially for newer folks to the mountains… Daypacks and backpacks can be heavy as we all know, and can shift and surprise someone’s balance, especially in precarious spaces and actions. I’m not saying that’s the cause here, but a good reminder to be mindful of the loads on your backs as you become more top heavy in the mountains.
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

Thank you for the update, the media can not get anything correct. Too busy trying to get the story out as soon as possible, even if the facts are wrong.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 71 months