6 caught in avy on Torreys (6/6)

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Trotter
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 220 2 8
Trip Reports (10)

Re: 6 caught in avy on Torreys (6/6)

Post by Trotter »

I think they all made a mistake being there at that time, with that amount of warmth. If it was just one guy making a mistake and risking his own life, I think we've all done that. But to lead a class into the situation...

In any case, I hope everyone injured heals up and gets back out there.
After climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. -Nelson Mandela
Whenever I climb I am followed by a dog called Ego. -Nietzsche
mountain_gallivanter
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mountain_gallivanter »

My assessment is that this group of climbers left too late. I was reading that the accident occurred close to 8:45 AM and in a lower part of Dead Dog Couloir. I climbed it just the day prior, and without incident. However, I was on the snow before sunrise and reached the summit well before 8 AM. Even so, the snow was quite soft and required lots of kick-stepping for purchase. The sun hits this couloir EARLY! Doing anything other than a predawn start is unsafe/unreasonable.
IHikeLikeAGirl
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 329
Trip Reports (6)

Post by IHikeLikeAGirl »

I'm a little late to the dance (a common theme in my life), and had just heard about this, this weekend.

I don't know the background on why decisions were made and what exactly happened...but I DO know that Brit is a well trained, well experienced, highly respected, and knowledgeable mountaineer. And an amazing person to boot!

At this point, I am only skimming the thread for useful and educational information and ignoring the rest.

You are in my thoughts and prayers Britt, wishing you a full recovery....
- Valerie
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time."
- Steven Wright
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Post by osprey »

^
He is indeed an amazing and good person.
He guided a sight impaired individual on Mt. Lindsey. An impressive accomplishment for both of them and a major act of kindness on Brit's part.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”