Thank you good samaritan

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Re: Thank you good samaritan

Post by Wentzl »

Thank you for the well wishes. Happy to say healing up fine.

10 days out
10 days out
hand1.jpg (58.22 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
Fletch Lives
14ers: 47  17 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Fletch Lives »

Glissading is like smoking. If it were good for me, I'd do it all the time. It's not, so I don't. I have third degree burn scars on my legs from a glissading mishap and sadly, I've lost friends to glissading accidents (yes, they are in the AAC). It's just not worth it and I had to learn the oh-so hard way. Everyone has to make their own decisions and I see both sides of the argument, but if you're not 1000% sure that the slope is safe, don't do it. My two cents. Stay safe.
Uh. Well, I've sinned. I didn't take any Polaroids or anything. But, yeah, I've sinned.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Post by Wentzl »

Snow is your friend in the mountains. Glissading is just a fancy word for moving. I sustained this injury in a freak accident.

Play in the snow. Run, jump and slide in the snow.

I started this thread to see if I could suss out the guy who helped me tape my hand.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

JChitwood wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:12 pm
TomPierce wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:21 am Glad it was a relatively OK outcome. But that's gonna be a super cool scar! Wish I could add it to my collection!! :lol:

-Tom

PS: Ugh, glissading...Someone could write a book about glissading mishaps. I don't do it, killed a team member of mine long ago. Be careful out there.
Would you be willing to expand on how it resulted in a death? Only asking because I’m leery of glissading myself I’ve only done it a few times and every time it resulted in a negative. Not terrible stuff but a gashed leg, ripped clothing, and severe bruises from hitting rocks under the snow. Not sure I’d do it again unless the angle was low, snow was perfect, and the runout was long.
JC: Sorry, I just saw your question. This event was long ago, in the 90's. Husband and wife climb up a couloir in the San Juans, both were on a team with me going to South America but I wasn't with them. Report was that husband decides to glissade down a different couloir from the summit. Off he goes, rounds a corner, then the angle goes from shallow to steep, surface goes from soft snow to hard/icy. He picks up so much speed that when he smashes into the rock wall of the couloir at a bend his aorta separates from his heart. Wife finds body and has to self-rescue, this was in the day before beacons, etc. I was on the burial detail to scatter his ashes weeks later; seeing the effect of his death (he was an only child) on his father was beyond sobering.

I'm not a fan of glissading. I know it's an elitist thing to say but I really don't give a F: it's something that appeals to the inexperienced. It works on some shallow-ish slopes sometimes, but I can plunge step w/ my axe in the en garde position almost as fast. But I'll also not get torn pants, a soggy bottom (Gore Tex permeates at 80 psi), or worry about hitting a patch of ice, rock, etc etc. On steeper slopes it's just stupid. Again, just my opinions.

-Tom