Thank you good samaritan

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Wentzl
14ers: 58  20 
13ers: 55
Trip Reports (49)

Thank you good samaritan

Post by Wentzl »

Not sure who helped tape me up on Mt. Wilson last week, but thanks.

Young guy, pink shirt, hiking poles, running down from Rock of Ages pass into Navajo Basin. Wrapped up my bleeding hand.
Tape job from samaritan
Tape job from samaritan
SSCN0968[1].JPG (119.52 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
8 Stitches to close it up.

8 stitches
8 stitches
SSCN0969[1].JPG (119.98 KiB) Viewed 5726 times
For anyone watching, this was a freak injury that occurred during a routine glissade. I had the misfortune of finding a sharp rock just behind my uphill hand on what I mistakenly took as a pretty innocuous slide.

In the countless times I have put axe to ice in the mountains I will always remember this as the lesson that snow is not always soft and fluffy, but sometimes bites back. Just a side thought, may be that it was so late in the season that hazards just below the surface of a snow cover start to make a show.
Shorter of Breath and One Day Closer . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZXKgl8turY

"Social Justice" = Injustice
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Thank you good samaritan

Post by greenonion »

Wentzl wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:00 pm Not sure who helped tape me up on Mt. Wilson last week, but thanks.

Young guy, pink shirt, hiking poles, running down from Rock of Ages pass into Navajo Basin. Wrapped up my bleeding hand.

8 Stitches to close it up.

For anyone watching, this was a freak injury that occurred during a routine glissade. I had the misfortune of finding a sharp rock just behind my uphill hand on what I mistakenly took as a pretty innocuous slide.

In the countless times I have put axe to ice in the mountains I will always remember this as the lesson that snow is not always soft and fluffy, but sometimes bites back. Just a side thought, may be that it was so late in the season that hazards just below the surface of a snow cover start to make a show.
Dang, Wentzl. Glad you are relatively ok.
TomPierce
Trip Reports (2)

Post by TomPierce »

Glad it was a relatively OK outcome. But that's gonna be a super cool scar! Wish I could add it to my collection!! :lol:

-Tom

PS: Ugh, glissading...Someone could write a book about glissading mishaps. I don't do it, killed a team member of mine long ago. Be careful out there.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

I started descending one of those snow gullies, seeing footprints and glissade or ski tracks, but quickly got out upon realizing they weren't footprints, but tracks created by tumbling rocks. Saw a couple other guys glissade but they ended up going too low with a longer climb out.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
SnowAlien
14ers: 58  57  58 
13ers: 652 118 15
Trip Reports (111)

Post by SnowAlien »

Ouch! Heal up. I stopped glissading after I hit a hidden rock with my tailbone on Rainier, hurt for months afterwards. Now I only do boot skiing (and actual skiing :-D ).
ltlFish99
14ers: 49  3  2 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ltlFish99 »

Ouch! Hood to hear you found some help, and that you are ok.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

heal up fast glad it was a (relatively) minor injury
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

8 stitches? Damn, glad you're patched up.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

TomPierce wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:21 am Glad it was a relatively OK outcome. But that's gonna be a super cool scar! Wish I could add it to my collection!! :lol:

-Tom

PS: Ugh, glissading...Someone could write a book about glissading mishaps. I don't do it, killed a team member of mine long ago. Be careful out there.
Would you be willing to expand on how it resulted in a death? Only asking because I’m leery of glissading myself I’ve only done it a few times and every time it resulted in a negative. Not terrible stuff but a gashed leg, ripped clothing, and severe bruises from hitting rocks under the snow. Not sure I’d do it again unless the angle was low, snow was perfect, and the runout was long.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

JChitwood wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:12 pm
TomPierce wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 8:21 am Glad it was a relatively OK outcome. But that's gonna be a super cool scar! Wish I could add it to my collection!! :lol:

-Tom

Would you be willing to expand on how it resulted in a death? Only asking because I’m leery of glissading myself I’ve only done it a few times and every time it resulted in a negative. Not terrible stuff but a gashed leg, ripped clothing, and severe bruises from hitting rocks under the snow. Not sure I’d do it again unless the angle was low, snow was perfect, and the runout was long.

I’d imagine 2+2=Bad

Sorry to hear Tom. Heal fast Wentzl
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 11 5
Trip Reports (10)

Post by Jorts »

Type in "glissading" and search the "Accidents" database. Things going south seems common based on the results.

http://publications.americanalpineclub.org/
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring
AndrewLyonsGeibel
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by AndrewLyonsGeibel »

It was before my time, but we lost a forum member to glissading. There is a reason I’ve never done it.

Hope you heal up quickly. That doesn’t look like much fun.