Missing climber in silverton area

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
rjones8
Trip Reports (0)

Missing climber in silverton area

Post by rjones8 »

My friend Daniel Lamthach said he was going to come home to SLC by Sunday, July 17. We are unable to reach him by the phone. I called and talked with him on the 14th of July, and he said that he was potentially doing Handies peak on the 15th, and maybe Redcloud and Sunshine. He also was planning on crewing the last aid station of the Hardrock 100 Endurance Race in Silverton, Colorado which started on the 15th at 6am and went through the 16th. He expressed interest in doing the Trinity Peaks after that, and I mentioned he might be interested in Arrow and Vestal. He also asked me about the Crestones but I told him they were kind of far from there, so it's less likely he went there. I think he was with friends, but I don't know who.
Has anyone seen him or his car at any of these places or trailheads?

Description:
Asian male, semi-long black hair past ears, brown eyes, about 5'4", muscular build, 22yrs old. I've attached a photo. He is on the right.
Car: Blue Pontiac Vibe 2009

Trailheads/locations:
Molas pass/Trinity peaks
Cottonwood trailhead/Crestone peaks
Silverton, Co, Hardrock 100 endurance race final aid station
Grizzly Gulch trailhead/Handies/Redcloud/Sunshine
Attachments
Snapchat-253843470.JPG
Snapchat-253843470.JPG (135.52 KiB) Viewed 5003 times
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Re: Missing climber in silverton area

Post by Kiefer »

rjones8 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:50 pm Trailheads/locations:
Molas pass/Trinity peaks
I live just down the road from Molas Pass. When I get off work today (couple hours), I'll run up there and have a look and report back to you.
I might be heading up to Vestal Basin on Monday (different peaks on the itinerary though). If his car is at the trailhead, I'll go poke around the upper
basin & Trinities instead. I'll keep you informed. [-o<
Watching this thread.
rjones8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rjones8 »

Kiefer wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 1:03 pm
rjones8 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:50 pm Trailheads/locations:
Molas pass/Trinity peaks
I live just down the road from Molas Pass. When I get off work today (couple hours), I'll run up there and have a look and report back to you.
I might be heading up to Vestal Basin on Monday (different peaks on the itinerary though). If his car is at the trailhead, I'll go poke around the upper
basin & Trinities instead. I'll keep you informed. [-o<
Watching this thread.
Thank you so much!
Tornadoman
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 266 35
Trip Reports (12)

Post by Tornadoman »

I would recommend getting a call into the Sheriff's Office there so they can be prepared for a Search and Rescue mission if needed. (The Trinities/Arrow/Vestal are located in San Juan County).

Keep us posted, and hoping for a positive outcome!
Climb the mountain so you can see the world, not so the world can see you.
RyGuy
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 230 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by RyGuy »

I would also suggest calling San Juan County Sheriff and getting a SAR response going ASAP. That's a big window of time to be overdue and those peaks aren't all that easy or forgiving.

-Ryan
"Climbing mountains is the only thing I know that combines the best of the physical, spiritual, and emotional world all rolled into one." -Steve Gladbach
MaryinColorado
Trip Reports (14)

Post by MaryinColorado »

rjones8 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:50 pm My friend Daniel Lamthach said he was going to come home to SLC by Sunday, July 17.
Hey - this is pretty worrisome. I know it may seem early to contact the sheriff (for search and rescue advisement), but honestly I think calling them and talking this through would be a great step at this time so you can lean on their advisement. They also have connections in the community to be able to ask around, I bet. For example, if you're not entirely sure if you're friend showed up at his Hardrock aid station, that's something they might be able to confirm through contacts in the area.

Even if they don't think starting a full-blown search is warranted yet, they're the experts in these kinds of things, and they often say call early.

Just a thought! Definitely hoping your friend is ok.
rjones8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rjones8 »

Hi all,
Thank you for the suggestions. I think his mom has connected an SLC detective with the local sheriff.
In addition, his license plate is V679RG.
rcole_2000
14ers: 4 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rcole_2000 »

I saw a blue sedan with Utah plates parked behind Avalanche Brewing company yesterday around 1:00 pm. Sorry I can’t remember the model. Probably not his but maybe somebody up there can take a quick look.
terrysrunning
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 71
Trip Reports (0)

Post by terrysrunning »

Hardrock will have a record of every volunteer who was at the final aid station (Cunningham). The aid station director can be reached at brad@hardrock100.com . He could ask all the volunteers if they saw anything. I'll text him now, but he doesn't always respond right away.
I was there Saturday evening for a while but didn't see anyone matching that description. It was pretty late though.
Hardrock weekend has a TON of mountain-y types hanging around Silverton, though, so hopefully he just connected up with someone else and maybe changed plans.
"My life is dope, and I do dope s**t" -Kanye
tripleB
Trip Reports (1)

Post by tripleB »

Speaking as the Volunteer/Aid Station Director of the Hardrock Hundred Endurance Run, we have been contacted by law enforcement and have supplied what little information we have regarding Daniel to them. While I had corresponded directly with Daniel about volunteering at the run a few weeks ago, he did not appear at his assigned shift or anywhere else at the run that we are aware of, unfortunately. He was planning on volunteering with a friend who was present at the run, and we have been able to connect that friend directly to the officials currently investigating the matter.

Sorry for the vague details, as I'm uncertain what's appropriate/legal to share, but know that there are plenty of good folks working together to find him.
rjones8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rjones8 »

Thank you to everyone for all the updates and info. I'm glad to hear that they were able to connect one of his friends with officials.
Kiefer
14ers: 58  39 
13ers: 317 24
Trip Reports (20)

Post by Kiefer »

rjones8 wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:04 pm Thank you to everyone for all the updates and info. I'm glad to hear that they were able to connect one of his friends with officials.
I'm sorry.... :(
There's three USFS vehicles in the parking lot. They have either horses or alpacas.
Attachments
USFS.jpg
USFS.jpg (58.48 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
Car 2.jpg
Car 2.jpg (81.76 KiB) Viewed 3932 times
Car 1.jpg
Car 1.jpg (81.76 KiB) Viewed 3932 times