SAR Wilson Peak 8/27

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
iantergalactic
14ers: 35 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (0)

SAR Wilson Peak 8/27

Post by iantergalactic »

Lots of people in the Wilson Group this weekend. While descending the Southwest Slopes route on Mt. Wilson after the traverse (~12:45pm), a white Rico Sheriff helicopter made many passes over and around Mt. Wilson and flew away after maybe 30 minutes. By the time I got back to Kilpacker TH, an SAR vehicle was at the trailhead and the team explained that the black helicopter that was now circling the peak was a team that flew in from Aspen specialized in extraction. Also told me the incident they were responding to was a ‘crush injury’ and the victim was a runner and did not have warmer clothes, first aid kit, etc. The injured person was communicating with SAR directly. Thanked them for their work and for clarifying the situation and left the trailhead.

Wondering if anyone knows more about how this turned out. Hoping the victim is okay and the extraction was successful.
Wimyers
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 8 3
Trip Reports (1)

Re: SAR Wilson Peak 8/27

Post by Wimyers »

Dolores county SAR posted a mission report on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/DOCSAR1/

Yes, mission was successful and climber was evacuated. The Blackhawk also came back out around 6pm looking for a missing kayaker in an unrelated mission.
BoardingHiker
14ers: 58  1  10 
13ers: 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BoardingHiker »

Wimyers wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:16 am Dolores county SAR posted a mission report on their Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/DOCSAR1/

Yes, mission was successful and climber was evacuated. The Blackhawk also came back out around 6pm looking for a missing kayaker in an unrelated mission.
Does it say where/how they fell? Sorry, I am one of the few Millennials without facebook and I didnt see anything else online.
Wimyers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Wimyers »

I don't want to speculate too much but I gathered that the fall was due to loose rock in this gully that connects the traverse to the N route on Mt. Wilson. It sounded like a substantial rockfall. I believe the climber was descending this gully and was alone. Perhaps the climber involved or those who assisted him can offer more info, if they would like to.
mwil5_30.jpg
mwil5_30.jpg (275.23 KiB) Viewed 5854 times
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

looking at the facebook pics, that does not look like good running terrain. certainly not terrain to attempt with no emergency gear or extra clothing. i hope the personnel at the trailhead just had incomplete or incorrect information.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
RhodoRose
14ers: 58 
13ers: 11 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RhodoRose »

No details, other than he fell at 13,800' on the Mt. Wilson approach from Kilpacker after sustaining a leg injury when a rock rolled onto it.

Side note: my hiking buddy and I camped that night at 12,550', near the trail split. We were awakened in the middle of the night by the thunderous roar of a rockfall on El D. Very scary. Reminder that it takes awhile to dry out after rain, the boulders on those steep slopes can become very unstable. Be careful, everyone.
But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 3: 13-14
Wimyers
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Wimyers »

I wouldn't have characterized the injured as a runner; he had a helmet, pants, and a backpack.
don_solo
Trip Reports (0)

Post by don_solo »

My partner and I encountered this individual during our descent of Mt. Wilson's SW slopes route just as the Sherriff's Dept. helicopter was ascertaining his location for the follow-on military SAR mission. He had an impact injury to his left shin which resulted in significant swelling and his inability to descend further. He had already descended several hundred feet on his own before calling 911. He was wearing a helmet, light clothing, running shoes, and had a light shell jacket. I gave him a cold compress for the shin injury, a light down jacket, emergency blanket, and ~0.75 liters of water to top off his container because 911 had informed him that extraction may not occur until the next day. While we were talking with him, authorities called him back to inform him that a UH-60 was 2 hours out to pick him up. When we reached the trailhead the -60 was egressing the cirque with injured party on board. It may sound like we just left him hanging (well, sitting), but his injuries weren't life threatening, the -60 was inbound, and he was set up to have a survivable (not comfortable) night out should the aerial rescue turn out unsuccessful.
XterraRob
14ers: 42  7 
13ers: 14
Trip Reports (4)

Post by XterraRob »

don_solo wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:01 pm My partner and I encountered this individual during our descent of Mt. Wilson's SW slopes route just as the Sherriff's Dept. helicopter was ascertaining his location for the follow-on military SAR mission. He had an impact injury to his left shin which resulted in significant swelling and his inability to descend further. He had already descended several hundred feet on his own before calling 911. He was wearing a helmet, light clothing, running shoes, and had a light shell jacket. I gave him a cold compress for the shin injury, a light down jacket, emergency blanket, and ~0.75 liters of water to top off his container because 911 had informed him that extraction may not occur until the next day. While we were talking with him, authorities called him back to inform him that a UH-60 was 2 hours out to pick him up. When we reached the trailhead the -60 was egressing the cirque with injured party on board. It may sound like we just left him hanging (well, sitting), but his injuries weren't life threatening, the -60 was inbound, and he was set up to have a survivable (not comfortable) night out should the aerial rescue turn out unsuccessful.
That was really nice of you.
RIP - M56
Re-introduce Grizzly Bears into the Colorado Wilderness™
Dobsons
14ers: 58  6 
13ers: 317 1 11
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Dobsons »

We were on Lizard head when the chopper was making circles over Mount Wilson and I was just praying it was nothing too serious. Glad he made it out ok. It's always a bit unnerving being in unforgiving terrain watching the chopper working. This could happen to any one of us at any time. Good on everyone that helped him out! Hope he's back at it soon
Camoclimber
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Camoclimber »

Guy was fine, ended up with broke tibia. Me and my group stayed with him for 2 hours until the UH-60 came and pulled him out. Seemed in fine spirits. Tough dude.
"All men die, few truly live" -Randall Wallace
"But Ben Lilly was one of the old ones..." -Larry McMurty
"Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games." —-Ernest Hemingway