Capitol Peak Fatality

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
pcrotty41
14ers: 42 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Capitol Peak Fatality

Post by pcrotty41 »

The details of the accident and unfortunate death will more than likely be posted in the Accidents in North American Mountaineering...this is how we learn and very unfortunate that asking for details of how the death happened in order to learn something is viewed as insensitive. I doubt the publisher and writers of Accidents in North American Mountaineering share your sentiment. It is unfortunate and my condolences as previously expressed go out to the family but there is something to be learned here and I reject completely anyone here calling me insensitive.

There will be more deaths in the mountains and the accidents and events surrounding the accident and deaths will be written about at great lengths and fellow mountaineers will read and learn from them and this is a good thing.
Gandalf69
14ers: 31 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

pcrotty41 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:05 pm The details of the accident and unfortunate death will more than likely be posted in the Accidents in North American Mountaineering...this is how we learn and very unfortunate that asking for details of how the death happened in order to learn something is viewed as insensitive. I doubt the publisher and writers of Accidents in North American Mountaineering share your sentiment. It is unfortunate and my condolences as previously expressed go out to the family but there is something to be learned here and I reject completely anyone here calling me insensitive.

There will be more deaths in the mountains and the accidents and events surrounding the accident and deaths will be written about at great lengths and fellow mountaineers will read and learn from them and this is a good thing.
Your not wrong in your points, just posting on the wrong forum. Just like good trail etiquette, it's recommend to be respectful in this particular forum. I highly recommend you read the route description for the peak.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"Life is cruel, why should the afterlife be any different".-Davey Jones
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

pcrotty41 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:05 pm The details of the accident and unfortunate death will more than likely be posted in the Accidents in North American Mountaineering...this is how we learn and very unfortunate that asking for details of how the death happened in order to learn something is viewed as insensitive. I doubt the publisher and writers of Accidents in North American Mountaineering share your sentiment. It is unfortunate and my condolences as previously expressed go out to the family but there is something to be learned here and I reject completely anyone here calling me insensitive.

The problem is not that you want to learn from the accident - the issue is with the time, place and manner of doing so. A publication like Accidents in North American Mountaineering can be made available to people to choose to examine and learn from when they're ready to do so.

But there are a lot of close connections in the climbing community in Colorado and so when someone dies there is a very good chance that there are people reading this thread who are close friends or family of whoever has died.

To immediately dive into analysis mode in front of grieving friends and family absolutely is insensitive, no matter how noble your goals. There is a time and a place for such learning. This is not it.
globreal
14ers: 58  1  26 
13ers: 198 2 6
Trip Reports (61)

Post by globreal »

How sad and tragic to hear this news. May God bring peace, comfort, and closure to the Beechler family and friends. I lift you all up in prayer during this season of grief.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

I’m with pcrotty41 finding out what happened now while details are fresh and something can be learned is not insensitive. Sounds like I could maybe read about it one year from now in Accidents in North American Mountaineering but that’s a long time and I have never seen such a publication. I’d like to read it here my main and easiest source of information for my sport. Other dangerous sports like skydiving and kayaking attempt to get to the bottom of what happened immediately so if a mistake was made it isn’t repeated. Aviation accidents are investigated promptly so other pilots can learn. But wanting to know something here one week after the accident is tabbed insensitive and I don’t get it. I always thought it might be because the forum’s most well known member didn’t want anybody asking anything if he died on a peak. Accidents are terrible but all of us have learned to be extra careful going over or around K2 and to be super vigilant and not miss the Avenue while descending Kit Carson.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
tortilla
14ers: 58 
13ers: 78
Trip Reports (0)

Post by tortilla »

This entire thread is kind of insensitive. Anyone who needed to know the identity of the deceased does not need a 14ers forum post to do so. RIP
timisimaginary
14ers: 3 
Trip Reports (2)

Post by timisimaginary »

Gandalf69 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:19 pm

Your not wrong in your points, just posting on the wrong forum. Just like good trail etiquette, it's recommend to be respectful in this particular forum. I highly recommend you read the route description for the peak.
If a forum section called “Climbing Accidents: Info and Analysis” is the wrong forum for asking for more info to analyze, then what is the right forum?

There is a Climber Memorial section too, for those who don’t want more details.
"The decay and disintegration of this culture is astonishingly amusing if you're emotionally detached from it." - George Carlin
ColoradoBruin
14ers: 53 
13ers: 122
Trip Reports (0)

Post by ColoradoBruin »

Death is by its very nature insensitive.

If I die on a mountain, please use it as an opportunity to teach others.
Candace66
14ers: 42  1 
13ers: 207 3
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Candace66 »

timisimaginary wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:49 pm If a forum section called “Climbing Accidents: Info and Analysis” is the wrong forum for asking for more info to analyze, then what is the right forum?
I was wondering the same thing. The questions that were asked seem to be appropriate to this section of the forum.
Gandalf69
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

JChitwood wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:56 pm I’m with pcrotty41 finding out what happened now while details are fresh and something can be learned is not insensitive. Sounds like I could maybe read about it one year from now in Accidents in North American Mountaineering but that’s a long time and I have never seen such a publication. I’d like to read it here my main and easiest source of information for my sport. Other dangerous sports like skydiving and kayaking attempt to get to the bottom of what happened immediately so if a mistake was made it isn’t repeated. Aviation accidents are investigated promptly so other pilots can learn. But wanting to know something here one week after the accident is tabbed insensitive and I don’t get it. I always thought it might be because the forum’s most well known member didn’t want anybody asking anything if he died on a peak. Accidents are terrible but all of us have learned to be extra careful going over or around K2 and to be super vigilant and not miss the Avenue while descending Kit Carson.

Use some critical thinking skills. The route is class 4, a witness saw her dislodge a rock that was loose. How much more do we need to talk about it? This isn't freshman economics in college. For all you people who want to "analyze" everything, how about letting us know about Capitol first hand? Btw, they already made a trend about analyzing what happened, "testing rocks while climbing". Please pay some attention, and be respectful. That should go without saying, but so should having critical thinking.
"There's always the possibility that some a**hole will be offended." -Clint Eastwood, Escape from Alcatraz
"The decision to triage us to death...I understand. I don't know that I would agree with it. Certainly not in retrospect because obviously I made it."-Beck Weathers, Dark side of Everest
Gandalf69
Trip Reports (8)

Post by Gandalf69 »

Candace66 wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:07 pm
timisimaginary wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 5:49 pm If a forum section called “Climbing Accidents: Info and Analysis” is the wrong forum for asking for more info to analyze, then what is the right forum?
I was wondering the same thing. The questions that were asked seem to be appropriate to this section of the forum.
If you have questions about the peak, I'd suggest doing it yourself. I'm sure if you had experience on the route, your questions would be answered about this accident.
Jorts
14ers: 58  4  2 
13ers: 102 12 5
Trip Reports (11)

Post by Jorts »

People die in the mountains and it f***ing sucks. Accidents happen. Analysis sometimes helps to prevent future accidents; sometimes it’s extraneous and pointless. I didn’t know Sarah and it doesn’t make her death any less tragic to me.

All information about this incident at this time seems to have been divulged. A rock was dislodged on a notoriously loose route and Sarah fell.

Sorry to friends and family and everyone affected by this tragedy. Hope you can someday find peace and solace in the fact that she was pursuing one of her passions.
Traveling light is the only way to fly.
IG: @colorado_invasive
Strava: Brent Herring