9/17 Crestone Needle Incident

Threads related to Colorado mountaineering accidents but please keep it civil and respectful. Friends and relatives of fallen climbers will be reading these posts.
Forum rules
Please be respectful when posting - family and friends of fallen climbers might be reading this forum.
Codyhill1991
14ers: 58 
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (0)

9/17 Crestone Needle Incident

Post by Codyhill1991 »

Just finished reading the thread on the Longs Peak fatality and switched to Facebook only to see Custer County SAR post about working on an incident on the needle. No details other than helicopters are in use. Does anyone know anything? Hoping for a happy outcome.
TehWoopig
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Re: 9/17 Crestone Needle Incident

Post by TehWoopig »

Climber lost most of their eyesight on the way down from Crestone Needle. Possibly got off route and cliffed off before not being able to see well enough to move anymore. Contacted SAR. My understanding is 2 rescuers are either on their way up or assisting the climber down the mountain.

I spoke with this climber on the phone. That's all we know for now.
TehWoopig
14ers: 24 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by TehWoopig »

I'm not part of SAR or the SO. I personally know this climber
Rock-a-Fella
13ers: 16
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Rock-a-Fella »

SAR almost to climber. Walk off is plan A.
Codyhill1991
13ers: 80
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Codyhill1991 »

Thanks for the info y'all so glad to hear the climber is walking off.
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

How does one lose most of their eyesight on a summer summit? Is this supposed to say lost line of sight?
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

mikefromcraig wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:30 am How does one lose most of their eyesight on a summer summit? Is this supposed to say lost line of sight?
Hope this has a good outcome and the climber makes a fully recovery first of all.

There are several conditions that can cause blindness in non-snow conditions. A complication with a previous eye surgery, high altitude retinopathy, high altitude corneal edema (different than the HACE we usually hear about) could all cause issues. I'm sure there are many other conditions. I've heard/read about it a few times, its not as uncommon as you might think.
Last edited by dwoodward13 on Sun Sep 18, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigredmachine
13ers: 34
Trip Reports (1)

Post by bigredmachine »

dwoodward13 wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:53 am
mikefromcraig wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 11:30 am How does one lose most of their eyesight on a summer summit? Is this supposed to say lost line of sight?
Hope this has a good outcome and the climber makes a fully recovery first of all.

There are several conditions that can cause blindness in non-snow conditions. A complication with a previous eye surgery, high altitude nephropathy, high altitude corneal edema (different than the HACE we usually hear about) could all cause issues. I'm sure there are many other conditions. I've heard/read about it a few times, its not as uncommon as you might think.
Darkness…dead or no headlamp
mikefromcraig
14ers: 53  24 
13ers: 57
Trip Reports (15)

Post by mikefromcraig »

bigredmachine wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:08 pm

There are several conditions that can cause blindness in non-snow conditions. A complication with a previous eye surgery, high altitude nephropathy, high altitude corneal edema (different than the HACE we usually hear about) could all cause issues. I'm sure there are many other conditions. I've heard/read about it a few times, its not as uncommon as you might think.
I don't think it is accurate to say that one loses their eyesight every time it gets dark. It must be one of the medical reasons listed above.
"I don't believe anyone who says they would prefer to die on a mountain in their 30s than in a hospital in their 90s."
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

The FB post from SAR about an active mission came at about 6pm. Still should have been plenty of light at that time.
Carl_Healy
14ers: 19  3 
13ers: 50 1 3
Trip Reports (5)

Post by Carl_Healy »

mikefromcraig wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:21 pm

I don't think it is accurate to say that one loses their eyesight every time it gets dark. It must be one of the medical reasons listed above.
That or something as simple as lost glasses/contacts?
Though admittedly the phrasing suggests otherwise.
If you can't run, you walk
If you can't walk, you crawl
If you can't crawl, you find someone to carry you
DArcyS
13ers: 544
Trip Reports (3)

Post by DArcyS »

One of my friends suffered from blindness as a result of altitude sickness, although perhaps it wasn't complete blindness. But, yeah, it can happen without snow.