Mt. Elbert (South) and Huron Clear Creek 4WD Trailheads

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
kbhec14ers
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Mt. Elbert (South) and Huron Clear Creek 4WD Trailheads

Post by kbhec14ers »

We will be out the week of August 15th and want to confirm I am interpreting the info correctly for Mt. Elbert (South) and Huron Clear Creek trailheads. I have a Ram 2500 4WD (6 ft box) and from what I am reading no problem for the Mt. Elbert (South) trailhead. A recent writeup fo the Huron Peak Clear Creek trailhead indicates the road narrows above the 2WD trailhead and most of the vehicles mentioned in posts are smaller than my Ram. How narrow is narrow? I also want to be careful with my truck tires - trailering a camper round trip from Minnesota. Thanks in advance for any insight.
Sbenfield
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 289 4 25
Trip Reports (5)

Re: Mt. Elbert (South) and Huron Clear Creek 4WD Trailheads

Post by Sbenfield »

I can’t speak to the current state of Huron road, but you will have no difficulties with the Elbert South TH in your vehicle
climbingcue
14ers: 58  8  27 
13ers: 317 21 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by climbingcue »

We followed a full size Ram truck in to Huron 4WD parking area, they had no issues at all.
Consecutive months with at least one 13er or 14er, 72 months
RETEP 1
14ers: 58 
13ers: 38
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RETEP 1 »

I’ve had my F350 long bed, and my wife’s lifted F150 up there several times. You’ll have no problem at all, apart from a new Colorado pinstripe or two…😂
kbhec14ers
14ers: 9 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by kbhec14ers »

Thanks for the info everyone. Will try to avoid the custom, Colorado pinstripes. Looking forward to this trip!