Chaffee County Camping Restrictions

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Tim A
14ers: 28  3 
13ers: 51 1
Trip Reports (18)

Chaffee County Camping Restrictions

Post by Tim A »

Not sure if this info is widely known in the 14ers community, so wanted to share it.

https://eplanning.blm.gov/eplanning-ui/ ... 012291/510

TLDR: The BLM is considering closing the vast majority of campsites on BLM land in the Chaffee county area. The only 14er approach this looks like it effects is Shavano (which has already seen significant closures of camping ‘spots’ in recent years). For the whitewater crowd this looks to be shutting down much of the camping near the Arkansas river.

The interactive map linked on the page shows specific campsites and whether they’ll remain open or not depending on various management plans. The majority of the little tent-symbols are red indicating closures in the majority of management plans.

I’m of mixed opinions on this. Less camping is typically not a good thing but given the BLM and forest service are incapable of getting the public to follow even basic backcountry behaviors (packing out trash, not having fires during burn-bans, etc) this seems to be the new normal as population growth continues degrading the quality of Colorado’s outdoor spaces. I’m disappointed and saddened to see the front-range nonsense extending it’s reach this far southwest.
seano
14ers: 56 
13ers: 218
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Chaffee County Camping Restrictions

Post by seano »

Well, it had to happen at some point. It's neither the first, nor the last, casualty of hashtag-vanlife in Colofornia.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

This would have a huge impact on people backpacking the Colorado Trail.
speth
14ers: 58  5 
13ers: 44
Trip Reports (3)

Post by speth »

Tim A wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 8:36 am Not sure if this info is widely known in the 14ers community, so wanted to share it.

https://eplanning.blm.gov/eplanning-ui/ ... 012291/510

TLDR: The BLM is considering closing the vast majority of campsites on BLM land in the Chaffee county area. The only 14er approach this looks like it effects is Shavano (which has already seen significant closures of camping ‘spots’ in recent years). For the whitewater crowd this looks to be shutting down much of the camping near the Arkansas river.

The interactive map linked on the page shows specific campsites and whether they’ll remain open or not depending on various management plans. The majority of the little tent-symbols are red indicating closures in the majority of management plans.

I’m of mixed opinions on this. Less camping is typically not a good thing but given the BLM and forest service are incapable of getting the public to follow even basic backcountry behaviors (packing out trash, not having fires during burn-bans, etc) this seems to be the new normal as population growth continues degrading the quality of Colorado’s outdoor spaces. I’m disappointed and saddened to see the front-range nonsense extending it’s reach this far southwest.
Sorry if I missed it, but where's the information about closures?

All I want is to just have fun, live my life like a son of a gun
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Sarcasm or not, it's not even funny to post something like this. Not at this time. Reported.
marksilas
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 426 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by marksilas »

The info. link is in the orig. post. It looks like is BLM land only, not USFS land, so shouldn't affect most 14er THs and CT hikers.
434stonemill
14ers: 33 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (2)

Post by 434stonemill »

A good article on the Chaffee County camping situation. Of course this sounds like a song on repeat...we have all heard and discussed it many times. More and more people were already dispersed camping on public lands, but the pandemic hugely increased those numbers. Many are not practicing LNT. Rising housing costs in the Salida/Buena Vista valley have caused a rising homeless situation where folks are not "camping" but living on public lands. The demand is causing people to create more dispersed sites. All of this is affecting wildlife, local ranchers and the land.

What to do....close areas, create reservation system, educate public, etc.

https://coloradosun.com/2022/02/04/disp ... ee-county/
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

In the county that’s 82% public land and home to a fifth of the state’s fourteeners, wildlife populations are plunging in the face of habitat loss and an increase in motorized recreation. Ranchers are reporting growing problems with campers damaging fences, leaving gates open and trampling grassy meadows bare. Poorly tended campfires are raising wildfire fears. Trash and human waste are overwhelming public lands workers and threatening to mar the longest stretch of Gold Medal trout waters in Colorado.
this article is a total bummer. i hate seeing places get "loved" to death :cry:
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

This is the quote I found most interesting:
“It used to be a couple decades ago, someone might go up there on the weekend and pitch a tent, but now you’re seeing people with big RVs, multiple vehicles, toy haulers, four-wheelers, side-by-sides — it’s much more intensive use,” Williams said.
I know I am probably gatekeeping, but it seems to me that large RVs, toy haulers and trailers packed with side-by-sides is not really congruent with the ethos of dispersed camping. Large vehicles and large groups belong in developed areas.
SkaredShtles
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SkaredShtles »

HikerGuy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:39 am This is the quote I found most interesting:
“It used to be a couple decades ago, someone might go up there on the weekend and pitch a tent, but now you’re seeing people with big RVs, multiple vehicles, toy haulers, four-wheelers, side-by-sides — it’s much more intensive use,” Williams said.
I know I am probably gatekeeping, but it seems to me that large RVs, toy haulers and trailers packed with side-by-sides is not really congruent with the ethos of dispersed camping. Large vehicles and large groups belong in developed areas.
Next you're going to tell me that they should stay on the roads/trails with their SxS and 4-wheelers?

Why do you hate freedumb??
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

SkaredShtles wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:34 pm
HikerGuy wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:39 am This is the quote I found most interesting:
Next you're going to tell me that they should stay on the roads/trails with their SxS and 4-wheelers?

Why do you hate freedumb??
nerd
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

Thank God, about time.