Durango to Needleton Train Reservations are Open for Summer

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
osprey
14ers: 52  16 
13ers: 144 17
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Durango to Needleton Train Reservations are Open for Summer

Post by osprey »

^
Thank you and Scott also.
You have answered my question.
"Rocks, mountains, snow and ice: what more do we desire?" - Reinhard Karl

“I breathed in the air on the summit and liked it better than the air below.”
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Aphelion wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:55 am
osprey wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:15 am What are the logistics of joining a group - are you given a ticket showing you are a member of the group?
And how does it work if you join a group going in for 4 days/ 3 nights but you are planning on 3 days/ 2 nights - are you allowed to leave one day early before the group and what documentation do you need to show you have gone in with a group?
And one final question to cover all the options: if you join a group going in for 3 days/2 nights but you need 4 days/ 3 nights to get all the peaks then are you allowed to leave a day later or do you need to leave with the group on the third day?
I don't know a firm answer to when you can return with/out a group, but as it was explained to me when I did it a couple years ago, the whole group needs to leave on the same train. There isn't any group documentation that I remember, you just can't buy a ticket for any departure time other than your group reservation.
These questions and more can be answered by just calling them, they are very helpful and nice on the phone. I believe that yes, your group must ride on the train together. I have a reservation for the second week of August and what happened was the guy who started the group holds everyone's information but each person can pay individually.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

Everyone in a group gets dropped off the same day, but you can specify a different day for pickup when you book. I'm on a group reservation where a couple people booked getting picked up at Needleton a day earlier, so 3 days out vs 4. Not sure if they're flexible once you're out there, but most of the posts here indicate that they are, if they have room.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Jimmy Jay
14ers: 45  1 
13ers: 4
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Jimmy Jay »

I have 2 extra first-class tickets going out on Thursday August 4th and coming back on Sunday August 7th. My kids were going to join us for the backpack into the basin but can't go now.

Figured I'd mention something here since availability is always tough to find, otherwise I'm going to return them both since they only charge a $14 cancellation fee per ticket.

//j
rznicolo
14ers: 45 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rznicolo »

Do you still have those tickets? I'm interested.
rcole_2000
14ers: 4 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rcole_2000 »

They just started cancelling trains due to wildfire risk. Just a FYI to consider not placing your hiking plans in something that may be cancelled. I think it’s the right thing to do, but could bungle a weekend.
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

rcole_2000 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:25 pm They just started cancelling trains due to wildfire risk. Just a FYI to consider not placing your hiking plans in something that may be cancelled. I think it’s the right thing to do, but could bungle a weekend.
This is good to keep in my mind, thanks for the info. Are they issuing full refunds for cancelled trains?
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

rcole_2000 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:25 pm They just started cancelling trains due to wildfire risk. Just a FYI to consider not placing your hiking plans in something that may be cancelled. I think it’s the right thing to do, but could bungle a weekend.
Canceling trains is definitely the right thing to do, not to mention the legally prudent thing to do given the fallout from the 416 fire a few years back.
Last edited by Urban Snowshoer on Thu May 19, 2022 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

Urban Snowshoer wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:31 am
Canceling trains is definitely the right thing to do--we don't need a repeat of the 416 fire.
Idk why but it also feels like cheating to me to not come in from Purg. No problem with ppl taking the train but I would feel like I cut a corner
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

I wonder if this is apart of the $20 million and new operating conditions settlement from the 416 fire. Seems likely.
According to the legal agreement entered into by D&SNG, American Heritage Railways and the federal government, the railroad must:

Comply with an Industrial Fire Restrictions Plan that places limits on the railroad’s operations when fire risk is elevated and prohibits operations when fire risk is extreme.
https://www.durangoherald.com/articles/ ... e-damages/
cloudkicker
14ers: 58  10 
13ers: 156 12
Trip Reports (4)

Post by cloudkicker »

Which trains are being canceled? Which dates? And where did you see this info?
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

cloudkicker wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:28 pm
Which trains are being canceled? Which dates? And where did you see this info?
They stop running the coal-fired engines and only run diesel engines. So, fewer engines leads to cancellations. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Durango_a ... NG_engines

Not sure which specific dates though. Sorry.