Durango to Needleton Train Reservations are Open for Summer

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Durango to Needleton Train Reservations are Open for Summer

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

cloudkicker wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:28 pm
rcole_2000 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:25 pm They just started cancelling trains due to wildfire risk. Just a FYI to consider not placing your hiking plans in something that may be cancelled. I think it’s the right thing to do, but could bungle a weekend.
Which trains are being canceled? Which dates? And where did you see this info?
Here's one source: https://www.durangoherald.com/articles/ ... ire-danger
Alpinefroggy
14ers: 29  2 
13ers: 8
Trip Reports (3)

Post by Alpinefroggy »

Urban Snowshoer wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:55 pm
cloudkicker wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 12:28 pm
rcole_2000 wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 2:25 pm They just started cancelling trains due to wildfire risk. Just a FYI to consider not placing your hiking plans in something that may be cancelled. I think it’s the right thing to do, but could bungle a weekend.
Which trains are being canceled? Which dates? And where did you see this info?
Here's one source: https://www.durangoherald.com/articles/ ... ire-danger
So tldr, when fire danger is too high, they won't run the train. Not something we can control.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

This might lead to some one way trips depending on timing
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
Urban Snowshoer
14ers: 42  3  2 
13ers: 20 1 1
Trip Reports (4)

Post by Urban Snowshoer »

cougar wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:16 pm This might lead to some one way trips depending on timing
According to the Durango Herald article <https://www.durangoherald.com/articles/ ... ire-danger>
D&SNG can typically forecast precautions three to five days in advance. If the railroad has an advanced forecast, it will update its website with information about the cancellations. If the notice is last-minute, the train sends out text messages and emails to passengers, Johnson said.
I guess check the website periodically, especially if you are just a few days out from your intended trip.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

Strange that they won't just switch to diesel on those high fire danger days.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Post by HikerGuy »

justiner wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:33 pm Strange that they won't just switch to diesel on those high fire danger days.
That's what I thought as well, but apparently they are following a new joint Industrial Fire Restrictions Plan places limits on the railroad’s operations when fire risk is elevated as follows. Level 1, normal operations. At Level 2, coal locomotives are banned and a water wagon to suppress any ignitions must be available to respond within 30 minutes. At Level 3, any work that produces sparks or has an open flame is prohibited (diesel locomotives still operate). Level 4 suspends all railroad operations.
Skimo95
14ers: 58  11  23 
13ers: 176 8
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Skimo95 »

justiner wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:33 pm Strange that they won't just switch to diesel on those high fire danger days.
Is there not a risk of spark from the tracks?
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

-wren- wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:36 am Idk why but it also feels like cheating to me to not come in from Purg. No problem with ppl taking the train but I would feel like I cut a corner
But it's (a not so fun slow) mass transit...do you feel the same when you drive to a trailhead??
9patrickmurphy
14ers: 50  1  2 
13ers: 318 23 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by 9patrickmurphy »

Skimo95 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 5:10 pm
Is there not a risk of spark from the tracks?
From the article linked above:
The joint Industrial Fire Restrictions Plan places limits on the railroad’s operations when fire risk is elevated. At Level 2, coal locomotives are banned and a water wagon to suppress any ignitions must be available to respond within 30 minutes. At Level 3, any work that produces sparks or has an open flame is prohibited. Level 4 suspends all railroad operations.
There's nuance to it or something. Switching to diesel helps but doesn't totally eliminate fire risk. Like banning campfires helps but doesn't totally eliminate fire risk
-wren-
14ers: 51  3 
13ers: 109 6
Trip Reports (0)

Post by -wren- »

d_baker wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:12 pm
-wren- wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 11:36 am Idk why but it also feels like cheating to me to not come in from Purg. No problem with ppl taking the train but I would feel like I cut a corner
But it's (a not so fun slow) mass transit...do you feel the same when you drive to a trailhead??
That is a good point. I have wanted to try doing some stuff with just RTD and a bike though
Wildernessjane
14ers: 58  13  46 
13ers: 256 23 19
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Wildernessjane »

d_baker wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 8:12 pm
Personally, I think it’s a pretty unique Colorado experience to take the train in. I would encourage anyone who asked to do it at least once. I’m someone who prefers to drive my burly 4X4 up a rough forest service road instead of walking it though. Life is short. Save your time and energy for the fun stuff above treeline.
“Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world.” -David McCullough?
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

HikerGuy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:43 pm
That's what I thought as well, but apparently they are following a new joint Industrial Fire Restrictions Plan places limits on the railroad’s operations when fire risk is elevated as follows. Level 1, normal operations. At Level 2, coal locomotives are banned and a water wagon to suppress any ignitions must be available to respond within 30 minutes. At Level 3, any work that produces sparks or has an open flame is prohibited (diesel locomotives still operate). Level 4 suspends all railroad operations.
HikerGuy---do you know where we can find info about these fire levels? Is there a website that says what the fire level is, or a phone number we can call to inquire about this? I have a reservation for a 6-day trip in a couple of weeks, and now I'm worried that they might cancel it right beforehand, or even worse, that they might cancel it during the trip (leaving us stranded).