Quandary Peak parking/FEE

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Re: Quandary Peak parking/FEE

Post by justiner »

Yeah I'm kinda worried that Cristo Couloir dry is gunna become a thing, or people are actually going to start at Blue Lakes, walk the road to the east ridge TH, then try to cut south down on their return, getting them into trouble.

I look forward to what SAR finds, as it's tiring to keep speculating.
dan0rama
14ers: 26  5 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (0)

Post by dan0rama »

I think we should start our own shuttle business off of the FREE airport lot. They charge $15? We will charge $10.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

cougar wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 8:02 am If it was just about crowd control, or SAR, the forest service could just issue permits themselves,
The parking lot isn't on FS land, so they can't issue permits for the parking lot.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

I didn't read through all this so maybe its already been addressed. I don't think the shuttle service or fees have anything to do with protecting the wilderness, crowd control, or a money grab. Its because the area has become SO popular people are creating a parking mess for nearby homeowners and dangerous traffic with crazy parking along the highway. That's it. Oh well.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

^Yes, and the fact the USFS isn’t willing to create adequate parking at or near the trailhead so they let the county hatch a plan instead.

The new system has certainly done away with the local, mass-parking problem but has created several other problems:
  • Lack of access for many hikers, especially if our schedule doesn't fit with the shuttle schedule.
  • Sometimes long waits for a shuttle seat. This increases the time some people have to sit at the trailhead, possibly without enough supplies.
  • Increased pressure on the Blue Lakes area and more difficult Quandary routes.
  • Inability for many tourists to visit the McCullough Gulch area. Maybe this is a good thing but it has long been a place where many people take day-hikes when visiting the county.
  • Cost. Seems to me that if Summit is now going to charge us to park at the Gondola lot where the shuttle starts, the cost should be the same for those who make a reservation at the actual trailhead. Why not? It's first-come, first-serve anyway and there's a limited number of spots. The extra cost for parking at the trailhead penalizes a hiker who would be planning ahead to reserve a spot. I assume Summit simply slapped a high cost on it because they could and saw it as a way to pay for part of the shuttle process.
  • And of course the overall hassle and cost of having to use a shuttle service.
We knew something had to be done when the parking started to overflow onto the 850 road and then ultimately highway 9. Is the system better than doing nothing? Sure, Summit County took on the challenge, regardless of their motives. I applaud them for that but wish the USFS would have done more to accommodate the increasing traffic.

---

Again, if you are unhappy with the Quandary parking situation or have comments you think might help the situation, I encourage you to contact the powers that be:

Summit County Government: U.S. Forest Service:
  • Dillon Ranger District (USFS Office responsible for Forest Service Land on and around Quandary)
    Adam Bianchi, Dillon District Ranger
    Chris Stewart, Dillon Deputy District Ranger
    (970) 468-5400 - Main number for the Dillon Location
    SM.FS.DRDMailroom@usda.gov
    ^In your email, please specify that you'd like your message forwarded to the "Dillon District Ranger"
  • Scott Fitzwilliams, Forest Supervisor, White River National Forest
  • Lisa Stoeffler, Deputy Forest Supervisor, White River National Forest
    These folks manage the entire White River National Forest, which includes the Dillon District
    970-945-2521
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
cottonmountaineering
14ers: 58  7  18 
13ers: 178 38 31
Trip Reports (1)

Post by cottonmountaineering »

one of the cooler things about colorado is/was the outdoor access was free, coming from PNW there were too many permits/fees

i would have rather seen a fleet of tow trucks solve the parking issue than a permit system
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

You reap what you sow. Something like that. Everyone is complaining on the exact medium that helped facilitate the crowds and led to shuttles and fees. Bravo.

You're part of the problem. Go hike somewhere else. What's the big deal? So you have to drive a little farther for a place with less crowds and better views. wow. Life sucks.
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

mtree wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:44 pm You reap what you sow. Something like that. Everyone is complaining on the exact medium that helped facilitate the crowds and led to shuttles and fees. Bravo.

You're part of the problem. Go hike somewhere else. What's the big deal? So you have to drive a little farther for a place with less crowds and better views. wow. Life sucks.
The goal for a lot of people is completing the 14ers. How are they supposed to reach their goal without climbing Quandary? How does it help to tell them to choose a different mountain??
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Mtnman200 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:51 pm
mtree wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 2:44 pm You reap what you sow. Something like that. Everyone is complaining on the exact medium that helped facilitate the crowds and led to shuttles and fees. Bravo.

The goal for a lot of people is completing the 14ers. How are they supposed to reach their goal without climbing Quandary? How does it help to tell them to choose a different mountain??
Pay the fee, Einstein.
How do they climb Culebra?
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (39)

Post by justiner »

modern problems require modern solutions
Attachments
hiltonnn.JPG
hiltonnn.JPG (36.47 KiB) Viewed 1072 times
Mtnman200
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 440
Trip Reports (85)

Post by Mtnman200 »

mtree wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:22 pm

Pay the fee, Einstein.
No, that's not what you said. You told people to "go hike somewhere else."
"Adventure without risk is not possible." - Reinhold Messner
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

Mtnman200 wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:32 pm
mtree wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 3:22 pm
Pay the fee, Einstein.
No, that's not what you said. You told people to "go hike somewhere else."
I answered your question. And I did it for free. What more do you want?