Trinchera Peak Access May Be Closed

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
painless4u2
14ers: 58 
Trip Reports (8)

Trinchera Peak Access May Be Closed

Post by painless4u2 »

From the FS in Canon City: "Spring storms have blown down a wide swath of trees near Bear and Blue Lakes on the San Carlos Ranger District making the area very dangerous for forest visitors. Until further notice access to the campgrounds and the Indian Creek and Middle Creek trails leading into the recreation areas will be closed for the safety of the public." This would likely make the jeep road to Trinchera inaccessible, which is at Blue Lake campground.
I called their office and spoke with a FS representative who said the areas to Bear Lake are closed for the season and possibly indefinitely due to the hazards. She was very firm about not allowing any access. For a related story: https://www.facebook.com/Spring-Fire-Di ... 918301315/
Tree Damage.jpg
Tree Damage.jpg (369.65 KiB) Viewed 1507 times
Bad decisions often make good stories.

IPAs + Ambien = "14ers" post (Bill M.)

In their hearts humans plan their course, but the Lord establishes their steps. Proverbs 16:9
supranihilest
14ers: 58  42 
13ers: 709 1 8
Trip Reports (112)

Re: Trinchera Peak Access May Be Closed

Post by supranihilest »

Does this include Purgatoire campground and the road up Maxwell or just the immediate Blue Lakes area? Trinchera can be done as an out and back from Maxwell, if the latter's still open.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

supranihilest wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:15 am Does this include Purgatoire campground and the road up Maxwell? Trinchera can be done as an out and back from Maxwell, if the latter's still open.
Sounds like Purgatoire isn't included. Hopefully not as I'm planning to hike Maxwell/Cuatro tomorrow.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
ScottLovesRMNP
14ers: 58  7 
13ers: 327 4
Trip Reports (1)

Post by ScottLovesRMNP »

supranihilest wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:15 am Does this include Purgatoire campground and the road up Maxwell or just the immediate Blue Lakes area? Trinchera can be done as an out and back from Maxwell, if the latter's still open.
Trinchera is a lonnnng way from Maxwell, as I found out last summer! But yes, if the standard Trinchera approach isn't open, at least it's still climbable!
SionaRW35
14ers: 58  23 
13ers: 228 11
Trip Reports (0)

Post by SionaRW35 »

Much thanks for this post. I was headed to that area on Sunday. Will call an audible now I guess.
supranihilest
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

ScottLovesRMNP wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:43 am
supranihilest wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 10:15 am Does this include Purgatoire campground and the road up Maxwell or just the immediate Blue Lakes area? Trinchera can be done as an out and back from Maxwell, if the latter's still open.
Trinchera is a lonnnng way from Maxwell, as I found out last summer! But yes, if the standard Trinchera approach isn't open, at least it's still climbable!
Yeah, it's not super close, but it's not horrible either, especially if you're able to drive up the road. I did Trinchera to Cuatro and back plus the 12er just north of Trinchera from Blue Lakes campground and it was about 13.5 miles and 5,800 vert. Maxwell would be another ~2 miles and 800 vert. The road up Maxwell is a lot worse than the road up Trinchera though, both for hiking and driving...
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

supranihilest wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:01 am
Yeah, it's not super close, but it's not horrible either, especially if you're able to drive up the road. I did Trinchera to Cuatro and back plus the 12er just north of Trinchera from Blue Lakes campground and it was about 13.5 miles and 5,800 vert. Maxwell would be another ~2 miles and 800 vert. The road up Maxwell is a lot worse than the road up Trinchera though, both for hiking and driving...
That road was a doozy. Did not enjoy that tire change.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
supranihilest
Trip Reports (112)

Post by supranihilest »

CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:47 am

:lol: Yeah, changing a tire on a steep, single lane road covered in sharp talus was not fun. Still got our peaks though, and Leo still got to chase marmots, so overall not a bad day! I'd recommend most folks just hike the road, even if it sucks, just for that reason - a road that sucks is better to hike than drive.
CaptainSuburbia
14ers: 58  35 
13ers: 125 9
Trip Reports (44)

Post by CaptainSuburbia »

supranihilest wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 12:04 pm
CaptainSuburbia wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 11:47 am

:lol: Yeah, changing a tire on a steep, single lane road covered in sharp talus was not fun. Still got our peaks though, and Leo still got to chase marmots, so overall not a bad day! I'd recommend most folks just hike the road, even if it sucks, just for that reason - a road that sucks is better to hike than drive.
Yes, still a fabulous outing and lots of fun marmot activity! I will definitely walk that road next time.
Some day our kids will study Clash lyrics in school.
Nothing drives people crazy like people drive people crazy.
Save Challenger Point
bdwyer
13ers: 640
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdwyer »

Hiked Maxwell from the road (437) just shy of Purgatoire CG yesterday. NO SNOW. You can get to 11,000 up 437 (an easier 4WD road) before tree debris. End of road is 11,700, so not a huge deal. There is a trail up to treeline from the 11,700 top, due west, to peak. Yes, you can run the ridge to Trinchera from there, but then you need to come back...
bdwyer
13ers: 640
Trip Reports (0)

Post by bdwyer »

Already posted, but as of yesterday, the road up to Maxwell is a go to 11,000 ft. and actually not a bad 4WD to that point. And yes, it is a long haul from Maxwell to Trinchera...and return same.
denvermikey
14ers: 51 
13ers: 166
Trip Reports (12)

Post by denvermikey »

UPDATE from FS. This access will be closed through May 2023...

[url]chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DO ... 029484.pdf[/url]
"Every man dies, not every man really lives" - William Wallace
"Because it's there" - George Mallory
"In the end it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years" - Abraham Lincoln
"You only live once but if you do it right, once is enough" - Mae West
"Climb mountains not so the world can see you, but so you can see the world." - David McCullough Jr.