Bierstadt & Evans Camping

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
benjaminfox
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Bierstadt & Evans Camping

Post by benjaminfox »

I'm flying to Denver. Doing Bierstadt and Evans, not together... Suggestions on places to camp for free, or should I stay in a hotel nearby and drive to the trailhead. I like to get on the trails around 5:30 a.m. It will be in August that I go. I will climb each peak on a different day, back to back. It will probably be a Friday for the first and Saturday for the 2nd. Thanks!
I hope to do some climbing soon!
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Re: Bierstadt & Evans Camping

Post by peter303 »

Formal Evans campground is Echo Lake.
A longer approach is from Chicago Lakes campground.

Closest Bierstadt campground is Guanella Pass campground.

All these campgrounds are generally fully reserved online in advance.

Mt Evans road has a toll and timed reservation. The popular Evans climb is from Summit Lake which is part of the permit.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Campground spots are hard to come by, especially for the weekend. Usually pretty easy to get a room in nearby Georgetown (such as Georgetown Lodge).
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

There used to be great dispersed camping all along guanllea pass road, now that’s been ruined, like everything else in the state from under educated JONGs
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

Vote for a hotel - but you can be picky on location, as there's plenty to choose from within an hour of the THs.
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

FB_IMG_1653340598570.jpg
FB_IMG_1653340598570.jpg (19.21 KiB) Viewed 1850 times
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

SchralpTheGnar wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:56 pm There used to be great dispersed camping all along guanllea pass road, now that’s been ruined, like everything else in the state from under educated JONGs
i was going to comment something similar, but it was too tough to type out my sentiments regarding the stretch of pavement between georgetown and grant where there used to be great 4wheeling and phenomenal dispersed camping.

also i learned a new word today :lol:
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
benjaminfox
14ers: 32 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by benjaminfox »

Thanks everyone. I will probably go the hotel route near Georgetown. Is there enough parking available, especially if I'm there by 5:30 a.m.?
Thanks!
I hope to do some climbing soon!
Omatt89
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Omatt89 »

There's plenty of parking at bierdstat ,(somebody doesn't need to say the lot is small there's another gigantic lot just up the hill on the other side..)
While at evans, the lake can get a little tighter but at 530am you'll get in there,,, however the true key too getting parking or anything big done in CO is starting really early and or going really fast. Haha. There's a bunch of hotels in Idaho springs or Georgetown that you could use either one as a jumping off point for both mountains. Yes i understand these are some of the shorter 14er hikes but Coming from out of town I'd just say don't underestimate the mountain or how much water and food you should consume during your entire trip. 😉 have fun and Climb on
lesherhawk
14ers: 7 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by lesherhawk »

I'm taking some family for a quick summit of Evans from Summit Lake in July. I've got a parking reservation at Summit Lake but I read here there is also a toll road? Anyone have details?
Omatt89
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Omatt89 »

You need a reservation to get up the road as well after 7am and before 5pm when the ranger is on gate duty. If you go before then you just have to pay at the kiosk at the gate otherwise rangerz will ticket your car If they spot it parked.
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

lesherhawk wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 3:15 pm I'm taking some family for a quick summit of Evans from Summit Lake in July. I've got a parking reservation at Summit Lake but I read here there is also a toll road? Anyone have details?
If you paid $17 for the reservation, that includes the toll. $2 is the reservation without the toll (which the website seems to only allow for federal parks pass holders.) Else there is toll booth during the day or self-pay off hours.