Durango to Needleton Train Reservations are Open for Summer

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HikerGuy
14ers: 58 
13ers: 426 8
Trip Reports (9)

Re: Durango to Needleton Train Reservations are Open for Summer

Post by HikerGuy »

rdp32 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:28 am
HikerGuy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:43 pm
justiner wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:33 pm Strange that they won't just switch to diesel on those high fire danger days.
That's what I thought as well, but apparently they are following a new joint Industrial Fire Restrictions Plan places limits on the railroad’s operations when fire risk is elevated as follows. Level 1, normal operations. At Level 2, coal locomotives are banned and a water wagon to suppress any ignitions must be available to respond within 30 minutes. At Level 3, any work that produces sparks or has an open flame is prohibited (diesel locomotives still operate). Level 4 suspends all railroad operations.
HikerGuy---do you know where we can find info about these fire levels? Is there a website that says what the fire level is, or a phone number we can call to inquire about this? I have a reservation for a 6-day trip in a couple of weeks, and now I'm worried that they might cancel it right beforehand, or even worse, that they might cancel it during the trip (leaving us stranded).
As far as I know, they only cancel trains for Level 4. Level 4 = Red Flag Warning Day. So, keep an eye on the National Weather Service page for the Durango-Silverton area, the NWS issues the red flag warnings. If there is a red flag warning in place or forecasted, all trains will be canceled during the hours that the red flag warning is active. I think they have enough diesel engines to keep running their schedule during Level 3, but not 100% sure on that, you may want to inquire further about that. It's the red flag days that you have to be really concerned about. If it helps, we are entering the monsoon, so humidity levels are increasing. Low humidity is one of the criteria for red flag warnings along with high temps and high winds. Red Flag days are more common in June. Hope your trip does not hit any snags!

EDIT: Try contacting these folks, they might have more specific info on the levels, https://durangofire.org.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

HikerGuy wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:12 am
rdp32 wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:28 am
HikerGuy wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 4:43 pm

That's what I thought as well, but apparently they are following a new joint Industrial Fire Restrictions Plan places limits on the railroad’s operations when fire risk is elevated as follows. Level 1, normal operations. At Level 2, coal locomotives are banned and a water wagon to suppress any ignitions must be available to respond within 30 minutes. At Level 3, any work that produces sparks or has an open flame is prohibited (diesel locomotives still operate). Level 4 suspends all railroad operations.
HikerGuy---do you know where we can find info about these fire levels? Is there a website that says what the fire level is, or a phone number we can call to inquire about this? I have a reservation for a 6-day trip in a couple of weeks, and now I'm worried that they might cancel it right beforehand, or even worse, that they might cancel it during the trip (leaving us stranded).
As far as I know, they only cancel trains for Level 4. Level 4 = Red Flag Warning Day. So, keep an eye on the National Weather Service page for the Durango-Silverton area, the NWS issues the red flag warnings. If there is a red flag warning in place or forecasted, all trains will be canceled during the hours that the red flag warning is active. I think they have enough diesel engines to keep running their schedule during Level 3, but not 100% sure on that, you may want to inquire further about that. It's the red flag days that you have to be really concerned about. If it helps, we are entering the monsoon, so humidity levels are increasing. Low humidity is one of the criteria for red flag warnings along with high temps and high winds. Red Flag days are more common in June. Hope your trip does not hit any snags!

EDIT: Try contacting these folks, they might have more specific info on the levels, https://durangofire.org.
Thanks a ton!
douglas
14ers: 53 
13ers: 3
Trip Reports (2)

Post by douglas »

DeenalangHolz27 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:56 am Thanks for sharing this info. After an incident I had, I am only traveling by train. I am always purchasing train tickets from https://www.dbreiseauskunft.com/de/ .Most of the time, they offer affordable tickets if you buy them preventively. However I have an unexpected trip to France, and I need a train ticket. So I will definitely check out the website you've shared. Maybe I will find a cheaper ticket. By the way, if someone knows any other platform from where I can purchase train tickets feel free to text me.
It’s amazing how the spambots can sniff out something train related and post their ads. Is this really effective???
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

douglas wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:00 am
DeenalangHolz27 wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 8:56 am Thanks for sharing this info. After an incident I had, I am only traveling by train. I am always purchasing train tickets from https://www.dbreiseauskunft.com/de/ .Most of the time, they offer affordable tickets if you buy them preventively. However I have an unexpected trip to France, and I need a train ticket. So I will definitely check out the website you've shared. Maybe I will find a cheaper ticket. By the way, if someone knows any other platform from where I can purchase train tickets feel free to text me.
It’s amazing how the spambots can sniff out something train related and post their ads. Is this really effective???
Well, when I want to travel to France by train, I always choose the Durango to Silverton line.
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

For people who have departed from Silverton: where do you leave your car in Silverton?
JosephG
14ers: 58  9 
13ers: 171
Trip Reports (9)

Post by JosephG »

It’s been awhile, but there are a few obvious adjacent side gravel lots. Back in 2014, there were no parking costs. You can always ask a railroad employee.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

rdp32 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:31 am For people who have departed from Silverton: where do you leave your car in Silverton?
I assume you're already aware of the info below...
Screenshot_20220625-083906-672.png
Screenshot_20220625-083906-672.png (244.85 KiB) Viewed 1145 times
BKS
14ers: 58  5  1 
13ers: 54 7 3
Trip Reports (3)

Post by BKS »

Main street
rdp32
Trip Reports (0)

Post by rdp32 »

Thanks for the info! And yes, I am aware about not being able to start at needleton; I'm starting at elk park and finishing at needleton.