Grays Parking Lot on Mondays

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
BayRunner
14ers: 1 
Trip Reports (0)

Grays Parking Lot on Mondays

Post by BayRunner »

In June, what’s the parking lot situation on Mondays? Would arrival by 6:30 still give us a good chance at a spot? Thanks.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Grays Parking Lot on Mondays

Post by nsaladin »

I would bet it’s full by then, any day of the week.
Lhotse27
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Lhotse27 »

Too late
BayRunner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BayRunner »

Lhotse27 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:51 amToo late
Thank you both for the feedback. How early would be safe?
myfeetrock
14ers: 37  1 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (0)

Post by myfeetrock »

Show up at 3am and start hiking by 3:30. You'll get a good spot and hopefully get to the top before the crowds show up. You'll have clear skis, and get to see the sunrise. This Monday is looking good.
gb
14ers: 56  54  6 
13ers: 67 54
Trip Reports (26)

Post by gb »

There were like 6 cars there last Wed, all day. Until more snow melts you'll be fine.
BayRunner
Trip Reports (0)

Post by BayRunner »

gb wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:29 pm There were like 6 cars there last Wed, all day. Until more snow melts you'll be fine.
How is the trail with the snow? I didn’t see any very recent updates but I saw there was snow earlier this week. Curious if this was microspike conditions or not really.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

Worse case, just plan to park at the I-70 lot and save your vehicle some potential damage and yourself some stress. It's a quick walk to the upper TH.
Boontawn
Trip Reports (1)

Post by Boontawn »

BayRunner wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:35 pm
gb wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 4:29 pm There were like 6 cars there last Wed, all day. Until more snow melts you'll be fine.
How is the trail with the snow? I didn’t see any very recent updates but I saw there was snow earlier this week. Curious if this was microspike conditions or not really.
Got to the upper trailhead at 4:15am with only 3 other cars there. When I got back around 10:30, there were still 6 or 7 spots available. Yes, it is still microspike conditions once you start ascending towards Grays or Torreys. The snow was still supportive when I ascended but around 8:30am when I headed back the snow was getting slushy and non-supportive. If you have any sort of vehicle with ground clearance and some semblance of driving ability, the road should be doable although still a little nerve wracking. There was a sedan parked up there today so if there's a will, there's a way.
montanahiker
14ers: 38 
13ers: 185
Trip Reports (0)

Post by montanahiker »

Has anyone been to the TH on a weekday lately? Looking to climb Kelso Mountain and wondering how early I should realistically plan on.
There's more to life than 14ers. There are 13ers.
JChitwood
14ers: 58 
13ers: 51
Trip Reports (0)

Post by JChitwood »

nyker wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:10 pm Worse case, just plan to park at the I-70 lot and save your vehicle some potential damage and yourself some stress. It's a quick walk to the upper TH.
It’s no quick walk for me. Parking at the bottom adds 6 miles and thousands of feet of vertical to your day.
"I'll make it." - Jimmy Chitwood
Lville
14ers: 51 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (9)

Post by Lville »

I was up there on a Monday, august 23, 2021. At 730a when we started our hike, there were still quite a few spots, though cars were rolling in. Keep in mind that by aug 23, school was cranking back up, so that may have had a big impact. In July and early aug, I wouldn’t wait til 730a, even on a weekday. I’d go for closer to 6a. And most def not on a weekend. Right now, it sounds like there is still snow up there which would change things. I imagine you could push it and sleep in a little later.