Turquoise Lake Camping - Leadville

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mattbrill9
14ers: 39 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Turquoise Lake Camping - Leadville

Post by mattbrill9 »

Hey All! Looking for camping options near Leadville for a Sat. night - and curious if anyone has had luck getting a first-come-first-serve spot on Turquoise Lake arriving mid-day on a Sat. My assumption my chances are very low - but wanted to check. Worse case - was going disperse camp near Elbert/Massive. Would be grateful for any thoughts or feedback!
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Re: Turquoise Lake Camping - Leadville

Post by cougar »

There is plenty of dispersed camping adjacent to Turquoise lake, south of the road between the rec area and golf course.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
mattbrill9
14ers: 39 
13ers: 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mattbrill9 »

Thanks! Assuming that is the area near Dunn Ditch off of County Road 48?
peter303
14ers: 34 
13ers: 12
Trip Reports (3)

Post by peter303 »

You should prepare for dispersed camping along Halfmoon road. However I frequently grab online camping cancellations 14 to 4 days out. The reservation system gives refunds up to 4 days out.

I camped at Collegiate Peaks (near Yale, Princeton, Ptarmigan Lake and Continental Divide Trail) a couple weeks ago and it was a quarter empty. Perhaps camping wont be as crowded this year with post-covid recreational alternatives back. High gasoline prices may be a factor.

Lake Turquoise is a favorite location. The shoreline at the lower campgrounds has a picture-frame view of Elbert and Massive. Gorgeous sunsets. People fish, kayak, paddle board on the lake if its not too windy.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

just shoot them an email and ask about their availability- the hosts are quick to respond and very nice.

that said, i would NEVER go back to turquoise lake campground again. dispersed or bust- that place is an absolute NIGHTMARE.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
cougar
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 135 2
Trip Reports (10)

Post by cougar »

mattbrill9 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:24 pm Thanks! Assuming that is the area near Dunn Ditch off of County Road 48?
Yes off CR 48 De Lappe ditch. Can walk to the lake from there. Some spots just south of the lake too. Portapotty at playground on south end, and free wifi at golf course clubhouse.
http://www.listsofjohn.com/m/cougar

"If we don't change direction, we'll end up where we're going."
"Bushwhacking is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."
"Don't give up on your dreams, stay asleep"
denvernoob
Trip Reports (0)

Post by denvernoob »

stephakett wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:25 am that said, i would NEVER go back to turquoise lake campground again. dispersed or bust- that place is an absolute NIGHTMARE.
Why? What happened there?
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

stephakett wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:25 am dispersed or bust
This.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

denvernoob wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 9:08 am
stephakett wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:25 am that said, i would NEVER go back to turquoise lake campground again. dispersed or bust- that place is an absolute NIGHTMARE.
Why? What happened there?
i've used established campgrounds in the past and not totally hated the experience, but this particular location was just not for me. the campsites were WAY too close together- i did NOT enjoy seeing or listening to 17 campgrounds from my tent. privacy was extremely limited (i'm being generous) and i could have done without listening to the bathroom doors slam shut at all hours.

i don't need a general store, water, or electric hookups when i camp, but if you like to have any of those things (and enjoy spending time at a KOA) then this is a great spot for you.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis