Difficulty of Nellie Road 2022

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Re: Difficulty of Nellie Road 2022

Post by mtree »

XterraRob wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:18 pm Just turn around if you're unsure.
Once you cross the creek there is no turning around. Unless you back it down. As I recall, turn outs aren't available until you're almost to the top.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
jrbren_vt
14ers: 14 
13ers: 29
Trip Reports (2)

Post by jrbren_vt »

mtree wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:01 am
XterraRob wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:18 pm Just turn around if you're unsure.
Once you cross the creek there is no turning around. Unless you back it down. As I recall, turn outs aren't available until you're almost to the top.
Where I turned off the road to go to Crystal peak at ~2.5 miles there was a small area that looked like dispersed camping where there was room to turn around (https://www.alltrails.com/explore/trail ... static-map). But between the creek crossing and that point I seem to recall a narrow road for one vehicle that traversed really steep slopes. I have no clue what's above that point on the road. Moot point for me, I am not taking my Cross-Trek up that road.
Best Regards
Imcp
14ers: 30 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by Imcp »

I went up last July (2021) in a 2016 Forester XT. At the time, the tires were stock and the only modifications I had on it is some skid plates. We made it past the first creek crossing, but did hit the skid plate while doing so. There is a small pullout midway between the creek crossings and a little past that is where we couldn't keep going. There wasn't enough traction and/or horsepower to get up a steep and rutted out spot with some mud below. We overheated the transmission a couple of times trying to get to where it leveled off and parked at the pullout. The guy in the sedan was in a Volvo S60 Cross Country which seems like a Crosstrek to me in terms of its capabilities and design (high clearance AWD sedan). Could be they either had better conditions or some maintenance happened that made the road better in the offseason. I'm a bit mindblown that they made it to the top.

TLDR: It's worth a shot, there are places to park if you can't or don't want to keep going.
daway8
14ers: 58  24 
13ers: 155 29
Trip Reports (70)

Post by daway8 »

Comparative illustration:

When someone asks how bad is such and such a route to climb the answers often vary wildly often based first and foremost on whether the person experienced rockfall on the route or not.

When someone asks how bad is such and such a road the answers often vary wildly based first and foremost on whether the driver is someone primarily just into hiking or if they also enjoy 4 wheeling as much as hiking.

HikersOnly seem to greatly outnumber Hikers/4Wheelers on the forum. I'm in the minority who would probably do a 4WD drive road even if it somehow didn't get me closer to the peak and knowing full well that a fast hiker very likely could beat me to a given 4WD trailhead on foot. That's because for me the 4WD experience is an end unto itself that I enjoy the challenge of even if I'm not climbing a peak.

Despite enjoying 4WD roads I wouldn't say I'm especially good at driving them, just like I'm not especially good at climbing mountains (I'd take on your typical tourist any day in either category but am a long ways behind those who truly excel in either).

So with that background, here's my 2018 take on the road (again I think the variations have less to do with the year than the driver - the below account was from doing it in a Jeep Renegade with 8.7" clearance and going up it in a heavy rainstorm).

"Actually I didn’t think the road was all that bad as 4WD roads go. I thought getting up to 12k on Antero was harder than this road. Most of it was actually pretty tame though I did give the skid plates a little action on the way up by going too gung-ho up some of the switchbacks. Didn’t scrape on the way down but went slower and got out to spot myself a time or two. Only took ~45 minutes and I would absolutely do that road again if I went back – 100% worth the trouble of the road to knock off 8 miles round trip and 1,505 feet elevation gain. I found a spot near the upper trailhead to put up a tent. Having driven to the upper trailhead this was an easy and enjoyable hike. It would have likely been miserable had I hiked from the bottom of the 2WD trailhead."
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

daway8 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:15 pm Comparative illustration:

When someone asks how bad is such and such a route to climb the answers often vary wildly often based first and foremost on whether the person experienced rockfall on the route or not.

When someone asks how bad is such and such a road the answers often vary wildly based first and foremost on whether the driver is someone primarily just into hiking or if they also enjoy 4 wheeling as much as hiking.

HikersOnly seem to greatly outnumber Hikers/4Wheelers on the forum. I'm in the minority who would probably do a 4WD drive road even if it somehow didn't get me closer to the peak and knowing full well that a fast hiker very likely could beat me to a given 4WD trailhead on foot. That's because for me the 4WD experience is an end unto itself that I enjoy the challenge of even if I'm not climbing a peak.

Despite enjoying 4WD roads I wouldn't say I'm especially good at driving them, just like I'm not especially good at climbing mountains (I'd take on your typical tourist any day in either category but am a long ways behind those who truly excel in either).

So with that background, here's my 2018 take on the road (again I think the variations have less to do with the year than the driver - the below account was from doing it in a Jeep Renegade with 8.7" clearance and going up it in a heavy rainstorm).

"Actually I didn’t think the road was all that bad as 4WD roads go. I thought getting up to 12k on Antero was harder than this road. Most of it was actually pretty tame though I did give the skid plates a little action on the way up by going too gung-ho up some of the switchbacks. Didn’t scrape on the way down but went slower and got out to spot myself a time or two. Only took ~45 minutes and I would absolutely do that road again if I went back – 100% worth the trouble of the road to knock off 8 miles round trip and 1,505 feet elevation gain. I found a spot near the upper trailhead to put up a tent. Having driven to the upper trailhead this was an easy and enjoyable hike. It would have likely been miserable had I hiked from the bottom of the 2WD trailhead."
i've been wrestling with a way to meaningfully contribute to this thread and i think you've covered it. agree on all comparisons and points made, especially the part in bold. thanks for summarizing better than i could!
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
RichH
14ers: 43 
13ers: 22
Trip Reports (0)

Post by RichH »

I drove the road in a stock F-150 Supercab. Ground clearance wasn't an issue (I have about 9" to the diff) but my long wheelbase made the road quite challenging. There are several areas where there are hard 90 degree turns with large rocks and other obstacles to avoid. I managed ok but it was slow. A shorter wheelbase vehicle (e.g. a 4runner, short Tacoma) would be fine. At the 4wd trailhead I only saw trucks. I drove a lot of 4WD roads in the San Juans that week and this one was the worst.
Rich
d_baker
14ers: 58  15 
13ers: 348 11
Trip Reports (59)

Post by d_baker »

Fwiw, I drove up Nellie on Sunday and I thought the river crossing this year is in far better condition than it was a couple of years ago, and even better than it was on Apr 30th of this year. One other section higher up on a corner I thought was more of a challenge/question of how/what best line was.
I drive a stock 4Runner with Wrangler AT tires.
We also saw a Subaru Forester at the upper trailhead.
onebyone
14ers: 58  1 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by onebyone »

I remember having some trouble on that steep section maybe 2/3 up. It had rained and I had to stop in one place then slid backward like 15 feet just due to gravity. Gradually backed down then hit again on a different line and no problem. 4 Runner but with the normal stock tires.
San Juan Ron
14ers: 39 
Trip Reports (0)

Post by San Juan Ron »

It’s better this year than some previous years when it was washed out. Certainly doable, a few tight corners and extra clearance is helpful.
"The mountains are calling and I must go" -- Muir