Como road tour/guide

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
OldTrad
14ers: 36 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (4)

Re: Como road tour/guide

Post by OldTrad »

Scott P wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:00 am There's always the Gash Ridge or Ormes Buttress. There's no Lake Como Road on that side.
+1

Or any number of other known and/or creative 3rd through 5th class adventure options that will get you from the Huerfano drainage up onto Ellingwood's N. ridge.
nyker
14ers: 58 
13ers: 25
Trip Reports (69)

Post by nyker »

BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Unless you are very experienced with an ATV or UTV, I would not recommend renting one and expecting to just ride up the road. It's a technical ride and if you're not experience, you will likely have a lot of trouble with the machine.
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
bdloftin77
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 58
Trip Reports (2)

Post by bdloftin77 »

aksean22 wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:30 am
Scott P wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:00 am There's always the Gash Ridge or Ormes Buttress. There's no Lake Como Road on that side.
Or Zapata Falls. It's a much nicer approach for Ellingwood/Blanca.
+1

Did Blanca via Zapata Falls my first time.
nsaladin wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:53 am I’m not aware of any companies that do this, and if there are some, they might not even take you past jaws 1 for liability reasons. Just find someone who has a stock 4WD truck or 4Runner with good AT tires. I have taken both of my stock SUVs up there with just good tires, and didn’t scrape. I parked right before Jaws 1 around 10,200’. Parking here eliminates the worst and hottest part of the hike.
Second time, went with a 14ers.com member and we parked at around 10,200'. Only a couple miles to the first lake, and it wasn't too bad. After I did LB-Blanca-Ellingwood (he did LB only that day), I started the long hike down. Fortunately, some huge clearance rock crawlers passed me right at the 10,200' area, and I was able to hitch a ride down to my car. If you can hitch a ride to about here, I agree that the hike is not too bad at all, relatively speaking.
mtree
Trip Reports (0)

Post by mtree »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:42 am Unless you are very experienced with an ATV or UTV, I would not recommend renting one and expecting to just ride up the road. It's a technical ride and if you're not experience, you will likely have a lot of trouble with the machine.
Oh yeah. You better know what you're doing.

A friend of mine took his dirt bike up there, but he's a pro rider.
- I didn't say it was your fault. I said I was blaming you.
climbnowworklater
14ers: 58  2 
13ers: 5
Trip Reports (7)

Post by climbnowworklater »

I wear it as a badge of honor to have never stepped foot on that horrible Como rd. I feel for people who have to hike that crap. There are better options, imho.
"The best climber in the world, is the one having the most fun!" Alex Lowe

"In the mountains there is a strange market where you can barter the vortex of life for boundless bliss." Milarepa
Curve
14ers: 58  3 
13ers: 30
Trip Reports (2)

Post by Curve »

I was able to snag a ride with an experienced offroading friend all the way to Lake Como. I did the LB-Blanca traverse and maintain that the scariest part of the trip was the ride up. Taking a lifted jeep over jaws 1 was a horrible experience even as a passenger. We had a four door jeep with 38's and bottomed out twice. My advice is to go from Zapata or stop well before Jaws.
two lunches
14ers: 37  2 
13ers: 59
Trip Reports (0)

Post by two lunches »

Curve wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:46 pm Taking a lifted jeep over jaws 1 was a horrible experience even as a passenger. We had a four door jeep with 38's and bottomed out twice.
this makes me want to throw up. ZAPATA, IT IS.
“To walk in nature is to witness a thousand miracles.” – Mary Davis
markf
14ers: 56  2  9 
13ers: 21 1 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by markf »

I've walked the road twice with overnight gear. What's the big deal? The second time I got to the bottom and met someone who had just done LB, Blanca and Ellingwood from the lower trailhead in one day. That was impressive.
mark
SchralpTheGnar
14ers: 51  49  1 
13ers: 38 30
Trip Reports (22)

Post by SchralpTheGnar »

People on this forum seemly oddly averse to walking. I’ve hike como road from 9k or so no less than 5 times and enjoyed it every time, but always in April or May when the snow keeps the machines to a minimum
randalmartin
14ers: 58  1 
13ers: 48 2
Trip Reports (13)

Post by randalmartin »

two lunches wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:59 pm
Curve wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:46 pm Taking a lifted jeep over jaws 1 was a horrible experience even as a passenger. We had a four door jeep with 38's and bottomed out twice.
this makes me want to throw up. ZAPATA, IT IS.
Zapata Creek approach for doing Ellingwood and Blanca was fantastic and how I did it. My recommendation if you do that route is in June or early July when there is enough snow in the C2 couloir.
nsaladin
14ers: 58  1  5 
13ers: 12 1
Trip Reports (0)

Post by nsaladin »

Did the Ellingwood/Blanca combo by starting from Zapata and walking down Como road to 10,200’ to a waiting jeep. Long day, but beats walking up Como road. Requires two vehicles capable of getting to 10,200’ or in my case, a friend that turns back early in the hike and wants to help out and drives around after receiving a Delorme message/text that we are not going back over Ellingwood to get out.

You could do the same thing and walk all the way down the road to ~8,000’ where you leave a less capable car. Still better than going up Como road on foot.