Castle/Conundrum Camping - Cathedral Lakes TH or Castle Creek Rd

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
martin14355
Trip Reports (0)

Castle/Conundrum Camping - Cathedral Lakes TH or Castle Creek Rd

Post by martin14355 »

I'm wanting to camp in a tent near the trailhead for Castle and Conundrum. I'm willing to walk up to a quarter of a mile from the car. I know there's camping along Pearl Pass Rd, but I'll be in a sedan and don't think I'll get there in time to snag them. I am considering camping at Cathedral Lakes TH or along Castle Creek Rd. Just need a flat, legal spot to pitch a tent.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these spots or have any other suggestions?
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Re: Castle/Conundrum Camping - Cathedral Lakes TH or Castle Creek Rd

Post by dwoodward13 »

Camping along Castle Creek Rd is only allowed at marked campsites and those are only past the 2wd TH. You can only get to 1 or 2 of them in a sedan if you are lucky depending on road conditions. In past years they have been filled by more "permanent" residents, and I wouldn't even consider them available for a weekend.

There were a few spots close to Cathedral Lake TH up the dirt road, but its been a few years since I've been there so I wouldn't be surprised at all if they shut those down and/or they are nearly always filled.

I suppose you could park at Cathedral Lake TH and walk off into the woods and fine something if you took enough time. Its USFS land around there.
martin14355
Trip Reports (0)

Post by martin14355 »

dwoodward13 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:03 am Camping along Castle Creek Rd is only allowed at marked campsites and those are only past the 2wd TH.
For my future reference, how do you know that? Is it on road signs as you drive in or is it posted online?

Would I be better off trying to find a campsite along Independence pass? I've camped at Graham Gulch before, but that is over an hour away.
mennoguy
14ers: 43 
13ers: 339
Trip Reports (44)

Post by mennoguy »

I was up in that area last summer, I didn't see any place along the Cathedral Lake road, the spots on the Castle Creek Rd. are all marked with signs along the road. Campsite 1 is pretty large and I've shared it with other groups before, with careful driving a sedan should make it, I had no trouble in my forester, be prepared for large potholes.
dwoodward13
14ers: 58  12 
13ers: 157 6
Trip Reports (1)

Post by dwoodward13 »

martin14355 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:13 am
dwoodward13 wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:03 am Camping along Castle Creek Rd is only allowed at marked campsites and those are only past the 2wd TH.
For my future reference, how do you know that? Is it on road signs as you drive in or is it posted online?

Would I be better off trying to find a campsite along Independence pass? I've camped at Graham Gulch before, but that is over an hour away.
I believe there is a sign, but its also posted on the USFS website. Indy pass on the Aspen side is very tough. You can camp up Lincoln Creek Rd, but same deal, only in marked spots. The Roaring Fork Valley is one of the toughest areas for dispersed camping in Colorado. You could check to see if there are cancellations at any of the campgrounds.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/whiteri ... 7&actid=34
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/whiteri ... 7&actid=34
greenonion
14ers: 50  1 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (0)

Post by greenonion »

mennoguy wrote: Fri Aug 12, 2022 11:40 am I was up in that area last summer, I didn't see any place along the Cathedral Lake road, the spots on the Castle Creek Rd. are all marked with signs along the road. Campsite 1 is pretty large and I've shared it with other groups before, with careful driving a sedan should make it, I had no trouble in my forester, be prepared for large potholes.
Was up there recently. The 4wd road (where it turns to dirt from main Castle Creek road) is good for most vehicles up to campsite #3, imo. Rough spot right after #3, and of course more further up.