Huron & S LaPlata THs this Saturday, 20Aug — possible road delays

Trailhead condition requests, questions, alerts, etc.
Forum rules
  • This is a mountaineering forum, so please keep your posts on-topic. Posts do not all have to be related to the 14ers but should at least be mountaineering-related.
  • Personal attacks and confrontational behavior will result in removal from the forum at the discretion of the administrators.
  • Do not use this forum to advertise, sell photos or other products or promote a commercial website.
  • Posts will be removed at the discretion of the site administrator or moderator(s), including: Troll posts, posts pushing political views or religious beliefs, and posts with the purpose of instigating conflict within the forum.
For more details, please see the Terms of Use you agreed to when joining the forum.
HilC
Trip Reports (0)

Huron & S LaPlata THs this Saturday, 20Aug — possible road delays

Post by HilC »

Leadville 100 trail race will take place on the road to/from these trailheads on Saturday, 20Aug. Racers will already have run 50 miles & use Winfield as the turnaround. Expect delays, especially from late-morning to 6pm.

If you have plans to be in the area that day, please drive very slowly when you are on the road in & around Winfield, & be considerate of those there for the race. Don’t expect the runners to move out of the way. They might, but they might not — it’s already been 50 miles for them & you never know what their bodies are experiencing. Maybe give them a little encouragement! Let’s show we can all share the roads & trails, especially for just a few hours.

Comments to a previous post pointed out the road below Winfield could be busier than usual with traffic shuttling race officials, volunteers & racers in/out of Winfield which may impact travel to/from Missouri Gulch TH (Missouri, Belford, Oxford) on Saturday.
jrs1965
14ers: 58  1  3 
13ers: 10
Trip Reports (0)

Re: ⚠️Huron & S LaPlata THs this Saturday, 20Aug — possible road delays✨

Post by jrs1965 »

Thanks, I'm pacing Sunday morning. FWIW, perhaps this could be repeated on the FB page?
AnnaG22
14ers: 58  7  20 
13ers: 124 3 6
Trip Reports (5)

Post by AnnaG22 »

This will also contribute to heavy traffic around Twin Lakes from Saturday morning through late Saturday evening, so if you're planning on driving over Independence Pass on Saturday, consider an alternative route.
Literally the entire town of Twin Lakes gets filled up by spectators and crew stations for the bulk of the day Saturday, and runners are crossing the highway and receive right-of-way during the race.
"The love of wilderness is more than a hunger for what is always beyond reach; it is also an expression of loyalty to the earth, the earth which bore us and sustains us, the only home we shall ever know, the only paradise we ever need – if only we had the eyes to see." -Ed Abbey

"I get scared sometimes—lots of times—but it's not bad. You know? I feel close to myself. When I'm out there at night, I feel close to my own body, I can feel my blood moving, my skin and my fingernails, everything, it's like I'm full of electricity and I'm glowing in the dark—I'm on fire almost—I'm burning away into nothing—but it doesn't matter because I know exactly who I am." from The Things They Carried
HilC
Trip Reports (0)

Post by HilC »

jrs1965 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 12:49 pm Thanks, I'm pacing Sunday morning. FWIW, perhaps this could be repeated on the FB page?
Yes, been posted to FB twice actually. Thanks for checking 🙌🏽
BillMiddlebrook
Site Administrator
14ers: 58  46  19 
13ers: 172 44 37
Trip Reports (2)

Post by BillMiddlebrook »

Bump
"When I go out, I become more alive. I just love skiing. The gravitational pull. When you ski steep terrain... you can almost get a feeling of flying." -Doug Coombs
Chicago Transplant
14ers: 58  12  24 
13ers: 697 39 34
Trip Reports (66)

Post by Chicago Transplant »

BillMiddlebrook wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 7:47 amBump
Speaking of races, Triple Bypass is Saturday which means Loveland Pass is closed to traffic 9am to 3pm and the tunnel will have hourly hazmat holds during that time. I can't find an article but it was on my local radio station that its closed for the race.
"We want the unpopular challenge. We want to test our intellect!" - Snapcase
"You are not what you own" - Fugazi
"Life's a mountain not a beach" - Fortune Cookie I got at lunch the other day
hellmanm
14ers: 58 
13ers: 45 1
Trip Reports (7)

Re: ⚠️Huron & S LaPlata THs this Saturday, 20Aug — possible road delays

Post by hellmanm »

HilC wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:22 am Don’t expect the runners to move out of the way. They might, but they might not.
They're still in the middle of a large public road. There's nothing giving these folks special access to the road, and if they're tired that's their problem. I'm not bothering with this mess over the weekend, but I don't like that a group of people feels entitled to this section of the Sawatch to pursue a recreational hobby (especially given that we live in a state with plenty of deserted mountain roads to run on/over, where they wouldn't bother anyone). One of my pet peeves with the running community is that they operate under the presumption that their PR/race matters to the rest of us. I'm sure the route will end up with litter, paint, and tape all over it too...
justiner
14ers: 58  8 
13ers: 138
Trip Reports (40)

Post by justiner »

hellmanm wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:41 am They're still in the middle of a large public road.
The race actually uses very little of the road - the runners pop out of the woods just north of Winfield, trot over the bridge, and turn around at the grassy meadow, then backtrack. The race doesn't allow pacers, spectators - basically anyone anymore that's associated with the race, except those that need to be at Winfield, so the impact is considerably low. The runners can't even pick up a pacer at Winfield - they have to wait until back at Twin Lakes.

What they ask is that you, as a spectator of the race, don't go to Winfield. That helps out with lots of issues and gripes.
hellmanm wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:41 am I don't like that a group of people feels entitled to this section of the Sawatch to pursue a recreational hobby
I'm not sure if understand the complaint here, and hopefully my clarification of the above helps. Obviously they went through the right channels to attain the permits, and being around the 40th time the race has been run, the NFS/local land managers are happy enough to allow them to continue. So I don't know if there's more entitlement being exercised than for anything else.
Last edited by justiner on Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott P
14ers: 58  16 
13ers: 50 13
Trip Reports (16)

Post by Scott P »

hellmanm wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:41 am There's nothing giving these folks special access to the road, and if they're tired that's their problem.
I know nothing about the Leadville race, but usually they do. Community and state events do have special access and roads, construction projects, etc. can even be shut down for them. I have been on many highway and county road projects when we shut down for races. Sometimes it's our only day off so we take it with stride.
I'm old, slow and fat. Unfortunately, those are my good qualities.
headsizeburrito
14ers: 29  18 
13ers: 89 4
Trip Reports (8)

Post by headsizeburrito »

Complaining about the Leadville 100 is like complaining about the Boston Marathon... It's a major event that happens every year, and it's a large state. Deal with it or go somewhere else for the weekend, it's not a big deal.
jfm3
14ers: 58 
13ers: 24
Trip Reports (12)

Post by jfm3 »

hellmanm wrote: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:41 am
HilC wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:22 am Don’t expect the runners to move out of the way. They might, but they might not.
They're still in the middle of a large public road. There's nothing giving these folks special access to the road, and if they're tired that's their problem. I'm not bothering with this mess over the weekend, but I don't like that a group of people feels entitled to this section of the Sawatch to pursue a recreational hobby (especially given that we live in a state with plenty of deserted mountain roads to run on/over, where they wouldn't bother anyone). One of my pet peeves with the running community is that they operate under the presumption that their PR/race matters to the rest of us. I'm sure the route will end up with litter, paint, and tape all over it too...
You sound like a complete pain in the ass. It's one weekend a year and you said you aren't even going to be there. I'm sure you do lots of inane crap that doesn't matter to the rest of us, but we aren't on here telling you to stop doing it. Shut the hell up and stop complaining about it.
Strava: https://www.strava.com/athletes/2596507" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jamie.mothersbaugh.3rd/
Garmin inReach Map: https://share.garmin.com/jfmiii
summitrunner
14ers: 18 
13ers: 2
Trip Reports (1)

Post by summitrunner »

I'm captaining the aid station at Winfield this weekend. Please be careful on the road near Winfield and between/near the Hope Pass Trailhead. No spectators, crews, or pacers are allowed up there, but we will have a cozy aid station for the racers.

Thanks to everyone for supporting the Leadville/Lake County community. The race series raises so much money for students in Lake County, and helps a lot of non-profits as well. This weekend is a hassle for Elbert, Massive, and La Plata hikers for one day, but the financial support for our community is tremendous. Climbing any peak other than these three this Saturday will help everyone. Thanks for your patience and support! Fly High and Dig Deep!
"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift." PRE